Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

Nope, backseat of a CF-104. Anyone who flew Concorde has more Mach 2 time than I do.
There was a story of a CF-104D serial 104666, which was a bitch to keep flying. One day it was written-off at CFB Solingen(back in 1974) , the crew got out and were the toast of the mechanics for finally ridding them of their perpetual hangar queen.

Just a thought
when the Spitfire was converted to dual seating, how much of a difference does that make to its balance, and control operation ?
Did a quick search and oddly enough found some info here. HTH.
Origins of the two seater spitfire | Spitfire flights at Biggin Hill

"it fell to the Russians to become the first to produce a two seat aircraft for training purposes. They had already converted some of their own front-line fighters to accommodate another seat and with the acquisition of some Spitfires under the Russian lend/lease act did the same to several Mk IX aircraft. Very little is known regarding this conversion but what is known is it differed from the British plans by having a ‘greenhouse’ double canopy instead of the proposed ‘bubble’ type. That Russia should do it first prompted Supermarine to embark on a private version in 1946 and it was at this time that we saw the first true two seat Spitfire in the UK. They chose a Mark VIII bearing the serial number MT818, a ‘Class B Marking of N-32 and a civil registration G-AIDN. Early in 1947 this aircraft went to Boscombe Down for handling trials which proved very favourable."

There was a story of a CF-104D serial 104666, which was a bitch to keep flying. One day it was written-off at CFB Solingen(back in 1974) , the crew got out and were the toast of the mechanics for finally ridding them of their perpetual hangar queen.
Triple Sick, the jet from hell. The pilots got a couple of crates of beer from the groundcrew.

Hangar queens. Every fleet has one. There's always one that has constant electrical snags or uses more hydraulic fluid or drinks oil or takes the longest time to do anything with.

As the Spitfire was due to stop over on Ottawa 4 nights, I didn't check the tracker until today. It appears to be at East Coast Aero Club, Lawrence G. Hanscom Field, next to Hanscom Air Force Base, outside Boston, Massachusetts.

1566299220480.png

This airfield is also known as BED (Bedford)..

1566299748163.png

Last edited:
Spitfire left Beaver County Airport, near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, today..

1566493446604.png

.. and flew to Bowling Green Airport in Kentucky, North of Nashville, Tennesee

1566493659710.png

Previous location = Beaver County airfield, Kentucky, just North of Nashville, Tennessee.
Current location = Huntington, Texas

1566591756122.png

Sorry, no track shown on the tracker but flightradar24 details the first hop of today's journey:

1566592556309.png

Blue dot with yellow aircraft shows Monroe, Louisiana:

1566592686127.jpeg

Huntington is just North of Houston, Texas:

1566592223223.png

Excerpt from last published schedule on the tracker:

1566591896210.png

Last edited:
It's about time the schedule was revised since there have been numerous changes so far. Sure enough they have now published planned stops but the majority are now TBC. Despite what it says below Ottawa is still in Canada. As far as I know it didn't become part of the USA on the 18th August. :scratch: Don't rely on this list.

1566685531569.png

I wonder where the next stop before Santa Monica, LA, will be. Just beyond Albuquerque is Grants-Milan Municipal Airport (New Mexico). There is a nearby air history museum that celebrates part of the mid-continental airway. Established in 1929 by Charles Lindbergh, this route used a series of beacons and emergency landing fields along it's length. Interesting photos: Airway Heritage Museum
Western New Mexico Aviation Heritage Museum (Milan) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor
Unlikely they will visit the museum as it's only open on Saturdays, unless they make special arrangements...

Last edited:
It's about time the schedule was revised since there have been numerous changes so far. Sure enough they have now published planned stops but the majority are now TBC. Despite what it says below Ottawa is still in Canada. As far as I know it didn't become part of the USA on the 18th August. :scratch: Don't rely on this list.

View attachment 412654
The septics can have Gatineau, no problem with that at all.....

Spotted a video on the Telegraph with no paywall which is good. Hadn't realised that they are publishing a weekly video. Here are the first two, with links to the accompanying articles.

Silver Spitfire pilot log week one: starry send-off propels record attempt into ice-cold skies

Silver Spitfire pilot log week two: flying through poor visibility into the arms of the US air force

G-IRTY left Comanche Ranch airport Sunday for El Paso and on to Nellis AirForce Base, Las Vegas.

1566783861521.png

ETA 2/3rds of the way in to the flight, G-IRTY circled Sedona. That sould make for interesting and dramatic film footage. Updated schedule below suggests flight to Santa Monica on Tuesday where they will stop for a few nights. The various stops below are indicative of the route up the west coast to Canada and on to Alaska.

1566849687129.png

Last edited:
Today's destination is Santa Monica.
1566927480807.jpeg

Santa Monica is located on the West coast of L.A.
1566927706212.jpeg

I wonder if they will be eating at the Spitfire Grill: Welcome to Spitfire Grill

ETA flight route detail through L.A.

1566929283267.jpeg

ETA The museum of flying has some aircraft of interest: Aircraft | Museum of Flying
1566929668029.png

I expect there will be a lot of celebs flocking to the airport.. Good for the project hopefully.

Attachments

Last edited:
Today's destination is Santa Monica.
View attachment 413348

Santa Monica is located on the West coast of L.A.
View attachment 413350

I wonder if they will be eating at the Spitfire Grill: Welcome to Spitfire Grill

ETA flight route detail through L.A.

View attachment 413354

ETA The museum of flight has some aircraft of interest: Aircraft | Museum of Flying
View attachment 413355

I expect there will be a lot of celebs flocking to the airport.. Good for the project hopefully.
Just taking a guess, but celeb appeal might be why that airport was picked as it has the most restrictions of any in the area and is slotted for closure and revert back to parkland. Harrison Ford is based there and Tom Cruise’s P-51, but it was due to move to another Fbo, so might already be gone.

Week Three update, link via the Telegraph (YouTube) rather than Twitter:

Mojave Air & Space Centre is a short flight from Santa Monica, so not much progress distance wise. The Spitfire is scheduled to fly there Saturday. There they can view the Rutan Voyager, a solar aircraft that flew around the world without refuelling and Burt Rutan's Spaceship One. Virgin Galactic are also there so Branston might make an appearance.

Weather looks clear, though rather warm. An excessive heat warning is in place in Western Mojave Desert through Saturday night. That may cause some turbulence so an early start is probably best if possible.

Onward stops from there have yet to be confirmed or updated but surely must involve longer flights, as only two hops are expected before Canada. Will they stop at Mountain View, home to major billion dollar companies such as Apple, Microsoft and Google? I expect a stop in Oregon to refuel and swap pilots before flying up to Washington State, perhaps Everett. The Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum are unveiling an ME262 on Saturday.

ETA - confirmed intention to fly route of Highway One in video added to post above.

Also found a series of podcasts related to the Silver Spitfire: ‎The Spitfire Series on Apple Podcasts

The latest episode is about restoration but also gives a lot of insight in to this particular aircraft, it's flying characteristics and limitations. ‎The Spitfire Series: Restoring a Spitfire, with Martin Overall on Apple Podcasts
The interviewer, Chief Survival Instructor and former RAF helicopter pilot, John Hudson*, is good, although he says "Wow!" a lot :lol: The audio is a little low in the mix but it's well worth a listen.

More posts at the official twitter feed https://twitter.com/longestflight

*https://www.johnhudsonsurvival.com/

Last edited:
G-IRTY flew 11 minutes yesterday from Santa Monica to Fullerton airport where it stayed for nearly 8 hours...
I'm not convinced it was quite that long though as later spot times suggest otherwise.
1567351121254.png

An incomplete FlightRadar24 track suggests in part the route it took:

1567351229432.png

1567351302056.png

N.B. The scheduled time doesn't appear to match up. I think it must have left Fullerton earlier.

There was a heat warning for Saturday and the spitfire doesn't have air conditioning, so maybe an opportunity to visit facilities, at Fullerton,suited to an 80 year old aircraft, with some shade in a hanger, before a comparatively cooler though still hot evening flight to Mojave. The track below shows a 20 minute flight from Mojave to Bakersfield for an overnight stop.

1567351899732.png

Bakersfield time is eight hours behind the UK. I think we have a loose idea of what's going on...

ETA - I checked.a few hours later and G-IRTY was in the air, having left Bakersfield and made it's way to the route of Highway One with the support aircraft, up to San Francisco. Watched them looping the Golden Gate Bridge on Flight Radar 24, before continuing Northwards...

1567362039286.png

Live route with filter applied, as there is too much air traffic otherwise, which obscures the track:

1567362245939.jpeg

It will need to refuel fairly soon. Some odd manoeuvres near Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport before landing there. The tracking gets ropey in some areas but judging by the height and speed changes, they may have done a small display for the airport first. (1500ft at reduced speed, then throttle up and climb to 5500ft).
This airport is named after the cartoon character Snoopy the dog.

1567363499708.jpeg

1567365203784.png

The Pacific Air Museum has mostly Cold War exhibits. Asides from a Bede Microjet, there is an unusual drone I have never seen before, a Lockheed D-21 drone which looks closely related to an SR-71 in style.
Pacific Coast Air Museum

Last edited:
G-IRTY took off from Santa Rosa at 14:33 (PDT) and flew to the Erickson Aircraft Collection at Madras in Oregon.

1567384483621.png
1567384572399.png

I would expect the crew to spend some time admiring the collection* of warbirds there before heading North to Everett or somewhere in that area before crossing over to Canada on the coastal route up to Alaska and the Bering Strait. *The collection is not open to the public on Mondays.

Last edited:
No, that’s not necessary, thanks. So, bearing in mind what grimbo says, how much would a typical paint job weigh. How would it be applied and how would you remove it?
We saw it on the BBC news (so not in depth) and I was serving up tea, and the pilots said they had worked a number of rivets. Mrs R took that to mean removal of rivets. I did spend some time working on airframes many years ago and took it to mean rivets were replaced for lighter ones and/or chased for aerodynamics. That ties in with the paint aiding aerodynamics, making a polished metal one a different beast altogether.

A sub-thread effectively about paint drying.

Latest Threads