Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

The Pilatus PC-12 has taken off, across the Hudson Strait while the Spifire is static at the airport. They are not flying on the schedule route but towards the three major cities. Will it be Quebec City, Montreal or Ottawa? Possibly they need some supplies. upload film footage and download information they need.

Great photo of G-IRTY by Brian Tattuinee at Iqaluit Airport. This is just a thumbnail. Bigger photo is well worth viewing here: G-IRTY | Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX | Private | Brian Tattuinee | JetPhotos

1565792817683.png

Last edited:
The Pilatus PC-12 has taken off, across the Hudson Strait while the Spifire is static at the airport. They are not flying on the schedule route but towards the three major cities. Will it be Quebec City, Montreal or Ottawa? Possibly they need some supplies. upload film footage and download information they need.

Great photo of G-IRTY by Brian Tattuinee at Iqaluit Airport. This is just a thumbnail. Bigger photo is well worth viewing here: G-IRTY | Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX | Private | Brian Tattuinee | JetPhotos

View attachment 410415
I thought they were stopping off in Gatineau at Vintage Wings for a photo op with their Spitfire.

I thought they were stopping off in Gatineau at Vintage Wings for a photo op with their Spitfire.
Yes, eventually. Still running later than scheduled. Maybe they are having a quick look at this one before hand in case of a side by side photo?
The F/L William Harper Supermarine Spitfire XVI > Vintage Wings of Canada
Just noted on their schedule for yesterday: 13 (Tuesday/Mardi) - RAF Red Arrows Airshow/Spectacle aérien

Iqaluit Airport, NUCANADA09/08/19
Kuujjuaq Airport, QCCANADA10/08/19
Wabush, NLCANADA11/08/19
Mont Joli, QCCANADA11/08/19
Ottawa Gatineau, QCCANADA12/08/19

Last edited:
Cole Pennington's article, published today, has some interesting pics and info, although he must have written it last week when the Spitfire was in Iceland.
Dispatches: The IWC Silver Spitfire Embarks On 'The Longest Flight' - HODINKEE
Looking at flightradar24, I noticed an unidentified PC12 flying South from Iqualuit. Another one? Or the same aircraft (OY-THP)? ETA, This PC12 has landed at Quebec.
ETA2 - In the meantime it seems that the Spitfire has been flying at Iqualuit and making some tracking art.

1565824672970.png

Flight Radar 24 suggests they both flew for a few minutes.
1565825242828.png

1565825146066.png

Last edited:
Yes, eventually. Still running later than scheduled. Maybe they are having a quick look at this one before hand in case of a side by side photo?
The F/L William Harper Supermarine Spitfire XVI > Vintage Wings of Canada
Just noted on their schedule for yesterday: 13 (Tuesday/Mardi) - RAF Red Arrows Airshow/Spectacle aérien

Iqaluit Airport, NUCANADA09/08/19
Kuujjuaq Airport, QCCANADA10/08/19
Wabush, NLCANADA11/08/19
Mont Joli, QCCANADA11/08/19
Ottawa Gatineau, QCCANADA12/08/19
Apparently that is the plan, but not set in stone. It would have been an excellent photo op if the VW Spitfire had stayed in it’s livery from when I last worked on it, it was sky blue.....

Last edited:

tiv

War Hero
The prototype Spitfire K5054 was entirely flush riveted, and consequently very expensive and time consuming to produce. Test pilot Jeffrey Quill recounts how they prototyped a ‘pop rivet’ Spitfire by sticking a split pea onto the the many thousands of flush-headed rivets that covered the plane. They then test flew the plane, which was now 22mph slower.
This was the brilliance. They had used the simplest technologies possible, split peas and some glue, to prototype the effects of different kinds of rivets. From here they were able to progressively scrape off lines of peas, retest, and identify the critical areas. Many unnecessary lines of flush riveting were eliminated over countless hours of testing and flying.
Brilliantly effective, both in performance and time. It saved countless production hours, enabling many more planes to be built. All at the cost of some spilt peas.
ISTR that the short lived manufacturing and servicing company of Cunliffe-Owen produced a small amount of flush riveted/filled “slippery” Spits early on in the war, but this was discontinued. Whether they were for use as PR aircraft I can’t recall.
Cunliffe-Owen produced a twin engine feeder airliner post war before getting out of avaition. It was called the Concordia.

Concordia.jpg

Cole Pennington's article, published today, has some interesting pics and info, although he must have written it last week when the Spitfire was in Iceland.
Dispatches: The IWC Silver Spitfire Embarks On 'The Longest Flight' - HODINKEE
Looking at flightradar24, I noticed an unidentified PC12 flying South from Iqualuit. Another one? Or the same aircraft (OY-THP)? ETA, This PC12 has landed at Quebec.
ETA2 - In the meantime it seems that the Spitfire has been flying at Iqualuit and making some tracking art.

View attachment 410584

Flight Radar 24 suggests they both flew for a few minutes.
View attachment 410586
View attachment 410585

I had to look that up as I had no bloody idea where it was, turns out that it's Frobisher Bay.

The F-104 was okay as an advanced trainer for real aircraft like the Lightning! :)

Regards,
MM

Two hops today neither of which are in the schedule but to be fair they have said that changes may occur throughout the journey.
(1) Kuujjuaq (top of the map below) to Schefferville which is many miles North of the planned stop of Wabush (near Labrador City).
(2) It has left Schefferville but not to Mont Joli (NE of Quebec along South side of Lawrence River).
I suspect that they are making up for lost time by cutting out the East coast route and flying cross country to Ottawa Gatineau, where they were due to stop over for four nights from 12th to 16th August (today). They were due to arrive at Teterboro, USA today.

1565986721382.png

Live Flight Tracker - Silver Spitfire

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Not having been in a Spitfire, my prop time being limited to the mild mannered DHC Chipmunk, a couple of flips in a Tiger Moth, and one flight in a Harvard, I couldn't say for sure.
But it would really have to go some to top the time I had in a CF-104D or a T-33.
Just a thought
when the Spitfire was converted to dual seating, how much of a difference does that make to its balance, and control operation ?

Latest Threads