Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

You rotter.
I'm fillin' up here. :oops:
Yes, that clip makes my eyes water a bit too for some reason. Visit Dover Castle sometime and look out to sea from inside the cliff where Winston Churchill viewed the air battle. Everything is authentic. Powerful stuff.

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember being quite blood thirsty as a youngster - now...

1575552358207.jpeg

Link to live stream on face book. It's acting as if it's live. Waiting for pictures. Here we go, live pictures coming through. Not hearing much though.

Silver Spitfire - The Longest Flight

G-IRTY flanked by two RAF ReadArrows BAe Hawks.
1575552742847.png

Back on British soil.
1575553790693.jpeg

Matt is welcomed back by his wife and child. This was a big commitment.
1575553852685.jpeg

1575553952246.png

The Pilatus support aircraft OY-THP and the Supermarine Spitfire Mk9 G-IRTY
1575553993806.jpeg

I only had sound from 25 minutes in to the live stream but footage should appear later. Initially G-IRTY flew in to view flanked by two Red Arrows Hawks, before performing a display including at least two barrel rolls. Later the Pilatus and Sptfire flew together. That was really impressive and well organised. There were various cameras and some footage was a bit erratic but they should get a great compilation out of it. Screen capures above aren't the best but it's what I managed to get.

1575554589102.jpeg

James Holland posted this tweet with a spitfire flypast and barrel roll:

ETA

1575556936977.png

Last edited:
Nearly there...nearly.
C'mon old girl...settle down!

Edit:
There she is.
Thanks....

You'd think the media would be on it.
Some feel good would hardly go amiss in the UK right now.

Last edited:
Careful what you wish for....

Daily Telegraph....

"The Silver Spitfire is home. On Thursday afternoon, the fighter jet landed back on British soil "

#facepalm
I think we should count ourselves very lucky it wasn't painted green. Just saying...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Watched a news report last night. Voiceover describes Spitfire flying over Egyptian pyramids. Says it's an image nobody has ever seen before.

Obviously never heard of the Desert Air Force.

Watched a news report last night. Voiceover describes Spitfire flying over Egyptian pyramids. Says it's an image nobody has ever seen before.

Obviously never heard of the Desert Air Force.
Steady on.
Egyptians did not get a bead on 'em.
Jet propelled old chap...what what. :rolleyes:
Whooooosh!

Updates. I'm about done now. There's no point me trawling through everything I can find and posting it. Here are some new tweets. Links at the bottom of the post. If I happen to notice anything useful, I'll post it but there should be a documentary at some point and no doubt more material will surface from various countries. I didn't have any Sheaperd Neame Spitfire but I did have some Thwaite's Lancaster Bomber.

1575838951756.jpeg

1575838885786.jpeg
1575838810688.jpeg

https://twitter.com/longestflight

Route Map - Silver Spitfire

The Silver Spitfire (@thesilverspitfire) • Instagram photos and videos

Attachments

@Electromagnetic .
I started thread because I thought a 'few' people would be interested.
Thank you for taking it over.

Latest Threads