Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

Progress expected during the week.

1571574664975.png

The map below shows Kagoshima, upper right, Taipei* in Taiwan, lower left and Naha, Okinawa, halfway along the string of islands between them.

*The intended destination in Taiwan has yet to be announced.

1571575083948.png

Okinawa to Taichung City in Taiwan. The schedule suggests two nights in Taiwan. It's not clear whether or not that will be the case or if they will try and make up a day by flying to Hong Kong tomorrow. One or two rain patches forecast in the Hong Kong area Thursday morning but otherwise looks okay through Friday.
1571843055149.png

There are some unusual zig zags in the flight track when zoomed in:

1571844089562.png

1571843993786.png

Last edited:
G-IRTY now in Hong Kong. No Twitter or schedule updates yet. Looks like it's supposed to be an overnight stop in HK, before flying to Vietnam for an overnight stop, then on to Thailand. As ever all depends on weather.
1572036214086.png

1572037230870.png

Last edited:
A surprise this morning. The crew meant it when they said they were trying to make up some time. G-IRTY has landed in Bangkok after a two leg flight. Official tracker only gives most recent hop, so the first hop was retrieved separately from flightradar24.com along with the flight details since Hong Kong:

1572173954674.png

1572173801634.jpeg

1572173374802.jpeg

The next two destinations are Myanmar (Burma) and Bangladesh. The route taken will be interesting. The official tracker map doesn't show the topology, whereas flightradar24.com does. I suspect they will fly up the Western Myanmar coast to Chittagong.* ETA update from the team.
*Tuesday or Wednesday?
1572175042359.png

Last edited:
How many £mil did this trip cost ? I dont really see the point other than for bar room bragging rights .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A surprise this morning. The crew meant it when they said they were trying to make up some time. G-IRTY has landed in Bangkok after a two leg flight. Official tracker only gives most recent hop, so the first hop was retrieved separately from flightradar24.com along with the flight details since Hong Kong:

View attachment 425810

View attachment 425808

View attachment 425805
The next two destinations are Myanmar (Burma) and Bangladesh. The route taken will be interesting. The official tracker map doesn't show the topology, whereas flightradar24.com does. I suspect they will fly up the Western Myanmar coast to Chittagong.* ETA update from the team.
*Tuesday or Wednesday?
View attachment 425813
Are they going to skirt round Germany so they don't offend anyone?

Not convinced , seems more like an expensive jolly to me , not that I wouldnt do something similar if I had millions spare , I just wouldnt dress it up as a good cause.
I'd rather follow expeditions like this than watch narcissists (many paid millions through BBC tax) on meaningless shows. It's many things to different people. Students could write thesis based on various aspects of the expedition where the Spitfire is the link, never mind the subject.

Are they going to skirt round Germany so they don't offend anyone?
The Spitfire has many fans in Germany.
1572177277547.png

ETA, Czech Republic and Poland might have appreciated a visit but that would have complicated the route.

Last edited:

PFGEN

GCM
Not convinced , seems more like an expensive jolly to me , not that I wouldnt do something similar if I had millions spare , I just wouldnt dress it up as a good cause.
Never underestimate braggin' rights. They'll be enjoying free beers in more than a few bars. The idea probably started as a joke in a bar. In some ways it is an expensive jolly but given that Boultbee is a private enterprise and they have sponsors, I'm guessing they're not planning on making losses. By the looks of it they're making a film about the event which should bring in some more pennies so why not. Add a bit of flag waving for GB and the 75th anniversary of D-day to the mix for good measure.

Last edited:
The Spitfire and PC-12 both arrived safely at Bangkok-Don Muang just before 09:00Z today, October 27th.

A few days rest and "recreation"?.

Latest Threads