Around the world in a Silver Spitfire

Chef

LE
Given the range of one, about 1000 miles one way, I'm not surprised they're planning on 150 stops.

Out of interest would they be allowed to use drop tanks or the equivalent? Or would that fall foul of the CAA?

Are they Army or ex-Army pilots?

I wish them luck. However, a Spitfire with commercial project roundels on the fuselage rather than national insignia just doesn't look right!

Spitfire IXs should ONLY be allowed to look like this...

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Exrivofrigido

Old-Salt
I wish them luck. However, a Spitfire with commercial project roundels on the fuselage rather than national insignia just doesn't look right!

Spitfire IXs should ONLY be allowed to look like this...

Regards,
MM
I believe (going only from their website mind) that adopting an entirely civilian profile (so removal of all military markings and any hint of armament mounts) makes entering and leaving a lot of the countries they intend to pass through a lot less complicated. And, you have to admit, the polished finish looks bloody marvellous. It isn’t as if we’re short of MkIXs dressed correctly, after all!

A trip like this will cost several million , I wonder how they are financing it?

The tail is different
As @Wooden Wonder states, there were several sub-variants of the MkIX, many of which had subtle variations to the type’s lines including the clipped wings of these Soviet LF IXes...

...and a larger oil tank for long range Photo Recce (and yes, I know this is a PRXI but the PRIX had the same)...

I believe (going only from their website mind) that adopting an entirely civilian profile (so removal of all military markings and any hint of armament mounts) makes entering and leaving a lot of the countries they intend to pass through a lot less complicated...
Undoubtedly.

...you have to admit, the polished finish looks bloody marvellous....
No I don’t! Sorry, while there were a few operational natural metal
Spitfires...

...the highly polished finish really just doesn’t look right to me! In my view it’s only one step short of this warbird aberration!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Latest Threads