Around the World in 80 Plants by Jonathan Drori

This book is a nice hardback, printed on quality paper, and with Lucille Clerc’s beautiful drawings recreated faithfully in lovely colours. I received it as a birthday gift, but think it deserves a review here, as it’s so nice.

The author has chosen 80 plants, some of which are very familiar to us, and some have kept a very low profile. He organises them by the country where they originated, and includes information about how they have travelled and where they are common now, as well as their uses and abuses. From absinthe, iboga and cannabis, to sphagnum moss, ginger and tree ferns, there is something interesting about each one. We learn how beer was developed, and how plants were the source of the contraceptive pill, and modern hormone replacement therapies.

I cannot speak highly enough of the beautiful illustrations. Lucille Clerc is one clever person, and we see drawings of seeds, seed pods, roots, flowers, bracts, whatever is appropriate for the plant. The Damask Rose is particularly beautiful.

Around the world in 80.jpg

I took a lot of pleasure from reading this book, and from looking at the pictures. My only slight quibble was a couple of lines of student politics. The outdated tropes about the Irish Potato Shortage and colonial Britain seemed out of place, particularly as many of the countries featured were colonies of other European, African or American nations. However I would not let this spoil the book for me. It truly was an excellent birthday present.

Five mushroom heads, mostly for the artwork, but also for the massive amount of research, presented in an easy, informative way.

Amazon product

That sounds a good read, I'm not much of a gardener but some aspects of botanical history I find interesting, like how the rubber trees got to be established in Malaya.

Your post has actually given me the incentive to get a book off of my wish-list and order it this morning.
It's called;
Cherry Ingram: The Englishman Who Saved Japan's Blossoms
Whether it turns out to be a worthwhile read, I'll have to see but I expect it will.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That sounds a good read, I'm not much of a gardener but some aspects of botanical history I find interesting, like how the rubber trees got to be established in Malaya.

Your post has actually given me the incentive to get a book off of my wish-list and order it this morning.
It's called;
Cherry Ingram: The Englishman Who Saved Japan's Blossoms
Whether it turns out to be a worthwhile read, I'll have to see but I expect it will.
I saw a programme about Cherry Ingram, and found it fascinating. I hope the book is good. Would you write us a review?

Latest Threads