Arnhem

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goldfishfart, Sep 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a Quick reminder, tho' most won't need it. Tommorow is the anniversary of the battle of Arnhem, spare a thought for the lads as you go about your Saturday. Balls of Steel!

2. Always in my thoughts; GPR, PARA, Airborne Inf, and even elements of the RAF, for their valiant re-supply efforts.

3. My home town of Tunbridge Wells has just got round to commemorating Capt Lionel Queripel VC R Sussex KIA 19 Sep 1944 at Arnhem on the local war memorial.

His ommission was the result of a misunderstanding between his parents and the local council - but it is good to see that there was no hesitation in putting the wrong right once they had been alerted to it.

If you get below the prose of the citation Queripel's actions at the Wolfholze railway crossing were unbelievable even (after being wounded) picking up German grendades and throwing back in the face of the enemy was only the climax to a long hard fight. For a long time it was thought that he had been taken prisoner and it wasn't until after the war that it was confirmed that he was killed 19 Sep.

For every one who is recognised there are many more equally heroic deeds that are left untold.

4. The following is from the memorial by 1st Airbourne from outside the Hartstein hotel, which I find very moving as it recognices the effort of the civilans: -

50 years ago British & Polish Airborne soldiers fought here against overwhelming odds to open the way into Germany and bring the war to an early end. Instead we brought death and destruction for wich you have never blamed us. This stone marks our admiration for your great courage remembering especially the woman who tended our wounded. In the long winter that followed your families risked death by hiding Allied soldiers and airmen while members of the Resistance helped many to safety
    You took us then into your homes as fugetives and friends we took you forever into our hearts. This strong bond will continue long after we are all gone.

5. My father jumped with 3 Para at Arnhem, sadly we didn't meet until I was 29 and he was dying with throat cancer, we buried him three months later.
    Mother who is now 87 watched a program on the telly about PTSS a couple of years ago and only then realised what went wrong in the marriage after dad was released from a pow camp in 1945.
    He was one of the first to jump at Ringway Airport when the Parachute regiment was formed, I will of course raise a drink in his memory and also to the rest of those who took part in "Market Garden".

6. And please let us not forget the Medical Services - thank you