Arnhem Vet tries to rescue wife

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hansvonhealing, May 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sadly I expect it comes down to funding. It probably costs the council less for Mrs. Cramp to live full-time at the home than it would cost so support Mr. Cramp to care for her at home. I think that it's terrible that a couple of that age should be separated, but I expect that whomever is making the decision is doing the best that they can given the resources available.

2. :|

For richer, or poorer.
    In sickness and in health.

3. In fact Dozy, its cheaper to support people in their own homes - why do you think so many Care Homes in the area have closed recently. Its more likely that there is a dispute between the private companies supplying 'at home' Care and the local Social Services.

4. While the article is factual I find the tone somewhat insulting.

It is estimated that 18,000+ people died during Operation Market Garden.

While I do have sympathy for Mr Cramp, the journo does show a lack of sensitivity.

Or is that just me?

5. It depends on the level of care required - in some areas the number of district nurses has been cut to so few that re-admission to a care home is the only option. When my grandmother required medical and social services intervention a few years ago my grandfather was told that they were lucky that their GP was so good (he ran a mini surgical practice) as his nurses paid home visits in addition to the district nurse. On the face of it home care is cheaper, but if a budget designated for assisting care at home has been spent, then the care home option is cheaper / the only option. I'm not arguing that it's right - in fact I think it's ridiculous - but just that that's how these decisions sometimes come about.

There's also the small matter of how capable Mr. Cramp is to look after her. No matter how good his intentions, he's 80, so maybe the decision has been made that he's too infirm to provide the level of care she requires and to look after himself too. Again, a personal anecdote, my grandmother spent over a year in hospital and rehabilitation homes after her initial massive decline in health and my grandfather then had 2 years looking after her, during which time his health declined enormously from the strain.

I'm not convinced that this story is as bad as it sounds, reference 'evil' social services, though it is nonetheless heartbreaking for Mr. and Mrs. Cramp.

6. I don't think money should come into it, they are husband and wife, IIRC "What God brings together no man shall untie"? No council should have the right to keep them seperated. What is this country coming to, after all the poor woman is in her twilight(sp) they have only a short time left together. Next up they will be seperating children and pensioners as it will be cheaper.

Remind me again what do we pay taxes for, or should that be what do we think we are paying for?

Why do so many Govt and municiple agencies seem to think they exist for their own ends, rather than to serve the public..

7. Your point about the 'at home care' budget being spent out is probably relevent in this case(something I hinted at in my post). I doubt if this unfortunate lady requires district nursing - she has dementia, therefore, it is likely her care needs can be met by 'home carers'.
    Your point about the effect upon Mr Cramp is relevent too, he would then also come under the Care Act and the Social Services would be required to take his needs into consideration........See what I'm getting at?

The points made by 'Whitehorse' speak for themselves. Sadly, it's unwise to be old in this Country now.

8. Can't the British Legion help this bloke out? Para Reg Assosiation? I can't help feeling so sad and helpless reading this.

9. With the best will in the world, why should this old couple have to rely upon charity when the local authority has a duty to provide the help they need? A good way for the Legion, etc, to help would be for them to provide decent legal representation and advice to Mr Cramp.
    According to the story, he is 'allowed' to care for his wife one week in four, so there can be no suggestion of him being unable or unfit to care for her - all he needs is more help.

10. and it's a proven fact that in most cases home help or carers is far cheaper than being hospitalised or kept in a home. I agree the Legion/PRA should get involved legally

11. I do hope that the RBL get involved. What a truly sad case.

12. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2218139,00.html
    The latest...

The new Independent Living Bill proposes the first legal protection against involuntary institutionalisation and will give hope to large numbers of disabled and older people who feel that they have no say about being put into residential care. Beneficiaries would include Maria and Dennis Cramp, from Accrington, Lancashire.
    Last week, Mr Cramp, 80, a veteran of the Battle of Arnhem, “rescued” his 88-year-old wife from a care home, accusing social services of kidnapping her and placing her there against her will. While social services insist that Mrs Cramp, who has dementia, needs institutional care, Mr Cramp is adamant that only he can provide her with the intensive and personalised care and mental stimulation that she needs.

The new Bill would put an end to such battles by requiring local and health authorities to consult disabled people who need help with accommodation — and their families — about where they could live and to offer them alternatives if they do want to be in a care home. These could include living in supported or sheltered housing, living on their own or with their family but with hired help, or living alone in adapted housing.

Last night Mr Cramp welcomed the Bill. “It will probably come in too late to benefit Maria and me, but it will help others who come after us,” he said.

13. The FOC are doing there bit.