Arnhem: The Complete Story of Operation Market Garden 17-25 September 1944

Arnhem: The Complete Story of Operation Market Garden 17-25 September 1944

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
untallguy submitted a new resource:

Arnhem: The Complete Story of Operation Market Garden 17-25 September 1944 - A new history of Operation Market Garden

Arnhem by William F. Buckingham is an in-depth history of Operation Market Garden. The operation is well-placed in its context and the author describes it well.

Buckingham knows his business and given that he lectures in history at the University of Glasgow, I’d expect him to! He has retold the Arnhem story (which has been told many times and this is my third review on an Arnhem history) impressively, drawing together numerous sources from both sides of the battle which provide a...
Read more about this resource...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I read this book also and agree with a very good review.

Especially the bits where Buckingham's almost visceral dislike of Browning starts to cloud the actual story. Not only that but the book reads like US Airborne good at all they do, British Airborne can't do anything right.

Taking the story down to the men in the trenches was very well done and the author having taken on a huge task has covered events very well. There were times when I thought he was being too pedantic but it must have been a hell of a job for him to reduce the book to the size it is.

This edition apparently is a re-write of his original 2001 books with new additional material. If you can overlook the author's opinions on the British high command (you can read the book and make your own mind up) then you will find a really good description of a highly charged battle.

Especially the bits where Buckingham's almost visceral dislike of Browning starts to cloud the actual story. Not only that but the book reads like US Airborne good at all they do, British Airborne can't do anything right.

Taking the story down to the men in the trenches was very well done and the author having taken on a huge task has covered events very well. There were times when I thought he was being too pedantic but it must have been a hell of a job for him to reduce the book to the size it is.

This edition apparently is a re-write of his original 2001 books with new additional material. If you can overlook the author's opinions on the British high command (you can read the book and make your own mind up) then you will find a really good description of a highly charged battle.
Interested in your opinion on a comparison with 'It Never Snows in September'?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You might be interested to know that the author is an ARRSE member... and a "last seen" of yesterday, so not sure whether to blow his cover :)

Might be worth rereading this thread, it got quite interesting in places...

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/what-if-arnhem-had-been-a-gliderborne-operation.154971

Actually, a bit of a search reveals that he's already admitted to writing it, twelve years ago...

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/arnhem-1944-by-f-buckingham.64708/

Paging @exMercian :)

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'd certainly recommend it. Although written by a Brit, with it's German slant it provides a good juxtaposition to Cornelius Ryan.
I had a look on Amazon and it is £24.50 so I think I will wait till I find a copy in a charity shop. The used copies were even more expensive when p&p is added!