ARNHEM - SOUTH STAFFS REGT

The deceased father of a very good friend of mine was captured at Arnhem. I am trying to assist my friend to find out more about his father's involvement. Does anyone know where I can find the glider loading lists by names or anything else that may be of help?

give the hartenstein hotel museum a call.....long shot i know but they seem to be the jedis on arnhem....ask to speak to adrian groenweg - main trustee and tour guide.

pm me if you need the number as i have organised many a tour there.

'By Land Sea & Air' by Junier, Smulders and Korsloot is a pretty comprehensive unit history, which also includes a list of KIA, POW and Missing, so he should be mentioned. 'The Holland Patch' by Simon Haines is also pretty good. What's his name? I'll have a look to see if he's mentioned in either.

Signalman said:
'By Land Sea & Air' by Junier, Smulders and Korsloot is a pretty comprehensive unit history, which also includes a list of KIA, POW and Missing, so he should be mentioned. 'The Holland Patch' by Simon Haines is also pretty good. What's his name? I'll have a look to see if he's mentioned in either.
Thanks for the mention, i wrote that :) Give me a pm and i will see what ive got, if not i will ask some friends.

Sid, where you been?? not somewhere hot like walsall :)

Yes even had pictures, now living on the royaltys in a shack in the hindu Kush :)

Signalman said:
PM Sent

try giving Stuart Eastwood a ring at the museum in Carlisle. he is a Border reg ninja, but also knows just about everything about Market Garden

google Cumbrias military museum

AT55 said:
The deceased father of a very good friend of mine was captured at Arnhem. I am trying to assist my friend to find out more about his father's involvement. Does anyone know where I can find the glider loading lists by names or anything else that may be of help?
If you PM me a platoon number or name I can see what I can do for you, my mates dad is AAC and is an absolute GPR and Arnhem guru. He literally knows what gliders took who, who piloted them, where they should of landed, where they actually landed, when they landed and I wouldn't put it past him even knowing what colour socks the pilots wore on the day.

scarletto said:

Yes even had pictures, now living on the royaltys in a shack in the hindu Kush :)

No Nowhere near Wallsall.. I thought running a company was easy.. How wrong was i!!!

02FD32 said:
scarletto said:

No Nowhere near Wallsall.. I thought running a company was easy.. How wrong was i!!!
Easy Company not teaching the Americans again then :D

http://x.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/contacts.php

Maybe the Staffs Regt museum would be a good place to start.

The volunteers there are helpful and enthusiastic.

The Staffordshire Regiment Museum
Whittington Barracks
Lichfield
Staffs
WS14 9PY

General enquiries:
Tel: 01543 434394
Fax: 01543 434391

Museum Director
Jim Massey Tel: 01543 434392
Email: regimentalsecretary@staffords.army.mod.uk

Museum Curator-Manager
Dr Erik Blackeley Tel: 01543 434395
Email: curator@staffordshireregimntmuseum.com

Attendant
Willie Turner Tel: 01543 434394
Email: attendant@staffordshireregimentmuseum.com

General Melchett said:
http://x.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/contacts.php

Maybe the Staffs Regt museum would be a good place to start.

The volunteers there are helpful and enthusiastic.

The Staffordshire Regiment Museum
Whittington Barracks
Lichfield
Staffs
WS14 9PY

General enquiries:
Tel: 01543 434394
Fax: 01543 434391

Museum Director
Jim Massey Tel: 01543 434392
Email: regimentalsecretary@staffords.army.mod.uk

Museum Curator-Manager
Dr Erik Blackeley Tel: 01543 434395
Email: curator@staffordshireregimntmuseum.com

Attendant
Willie Turner Tel: 01543 434394
Email: attendant@staffordshireregimentmuseum.com
Trouble is, whilst i was there researching for my book, willie told me that a lot of the records were missing, as they used to just let people look at them, and some had taken stuff. Their Arnhem stuff was very depleted, but they were very helpful.

joelndec said:
try giving Stuart Eastwood a ring at the museum in Carlisle. he is a Border reg ninja, but also knows just about everything about Market Garden

Ween't they issued with the Patchett (sterling forerunner) as an experiment, but so few came back from the perimiter, it couldn't be assesed ?

Patchett44 said:
joelndec said:

Ween't they issued with the Patchett (sterling forerunner) as an experiment, but so few came back from the perimiter, it couldn't be assesed ?
It seems that although some sources say this others dispute it- there is a thread somewhere on this forum with more details.

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=60120

the Patchett never saw use at Arnhem. Yes some were issued to 1st Airborne and were tested
reports of trials show all of them were returned to their manufacturer for modification prior to September 1944 and they all still at manufactures when the operation Market Garden commenced.
and very few were made during the war

this infomation is from the PRO and also at the Airborne Forces museum at Duxford

Govt. Contracts:

12 Jan 1944.
20x Patchett M.C. from Sterling Engineering, at cost of £4464.00

26 June 1944.
4x Patchett M.C. mod. by Sterling Eng.; attachment of No.5 bayonet.

14 October 1944.
4x Patchett M.C., repair of, and fitting of new bayonets by Sterling Eng.
Damaged as result of trials.

but

http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9984&start=0

I met a Para Veteran in June this year, who told me that he was one of the 100 whom the prototypes were issued to. He said he used his on Market Garden and returned it with the evaluation sheets he had to fill in. He said that only about a quarter of the issued weapons were returned. Alledgedly the others were "lost."

and

I can tell for certain the trials continued with other units. I have three photographs of 52nd (Lowland) Division troops carrying them in the snow so I presume winter of 44/45. (52nd (Lowland) also trialled the Jungle Carbine the same as 1st Airborne Division did but no one has suggested that the Jungle carbine made it to Arnhem!)

I also have a single photograph showing one on the rear fuel tank of an SAS jeep. This could Tie up with what 5.SAS said earlier in this thread.

The south Staffs were not the only unit in 1st Airborne to trial the Patchett. They were also issued out to units of 1st Parachute Brigade in the same time-frame.

One of the most over-riding factors for me that the Patchetts were not in use on OP MARKET is the lack of any mention of them in the German intelligence reports after the battle. If you ever get the chance to read them they are incredibly thorough! There are annexes with lists of glider serial numbers, slogans painted on the side of gliders, break downs of captured container loads and the colour of parachute they were under... All sorts of details and trivia... Amidst all that though there is not a single mention of a new weapon found on any of the dead or captured. To my mind if they were there, they would be in the German reports.

sneeky_turd said:
AT55 said:
If you PM me a platoon number or name I can see what I can do for you, my mates dad is AAC and is an absolute GPR and Arnhem guru. He literally knows what gliders took who, who piloted them, where they should of landed, where they actually landed, when they landed and I wouldn't put it past him even knowing what colour socks the pilots wore on the day.
Green?

AT55 said:
Thanks to everyone for your replies - I was amazed at the response. I have been on to my mate again and he now tells me that his dad was in the Border Regt!!!

So disregard my last and act on my latest and again arresers thanks.

May I endorse the suggestion that Stuart Eastwood would be a useful port of call. He has a couple of books to his name, he is hugely enthusiastic, massively knowledgeable and has brilliant contacts. If he doesn't know where to find the answer, he will know a man who does.

Edited to add that, having now seen your last post, the Border Regiment Museum must be your first port of call.

Let us know how you get on.

schweik said:
May I endorse the suggestion that Stuart Eastwood would be a useful port of call. He has a couple of books to his name, he is hugely enthusiastic, massively knowledgeable and has brilliant contacts. If he doesn't know where to find the answer, he will know a man who does.

Edited to add that, having now seen your last post, the Border Regiment Museum must be your first port of call.

Let us know how you get on.
Aye id also try a Alistair Taylor who has links at the Borders Regt, both are excellent