Arnhem remembered

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by supermatelot, Sep 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was enjoying reading the article till I came across this paragraph:
    Ainsworthless isn't fit to pull the weeds from the graves of those brave men, let alone join in the service.

2. I don't have a lot of time for Mr Ainsworthless, but the poor bugger can't win can he. Criticised for going and castigated if he doesn't. Oh well.

3. I like to imagine Phil the Greek, for whom I've every possible respect, walking up to Ainsworthless and jovially saying in his inimitable way: "Hello, I've always wanted to meet a thick, useless, spineless fücker like you".

Well, I can dream, can't I?

MsG

4. Question for you army types...if you please. Does capbadge denote Regt (I thought that was the case) Or can you have one colour but diff capbadge?

I ask because one of the gents in the link has a para beret with a different capbadge on.

This is not a Wah..I really dont know.

Cheers.

5. Attached arms wear the beret with own cap badge

6. Anyone serving in a unit of the Army Air Corps (yes, that is what is was called at the time) was entitled to the red beret**. The Army Air Corps comprised the Glider Pilot Regiment , the various parachute battalions, glider borne infantry units (e.g. KOYLI, KOSB), and when it finally came into being, the Parachute Regiment.

Most members of the AAC wore red berets with their original regimental cap badges, liikewise attached Arms and Services (Tom Carpenter, pictured by the Mail was a Sapper) .

When they first formed Parachute Battalions (John Frost of the Bridge was a Company Commander in one, circa 1941) they did what the Army commandos had done; that is successful volunteers were seconded from their parent unit, wore the red beret once they became fully-fledged members of the Bn, with the parent regtl cap badge on it.

The Parachute Bns were numberd//named 1st Parachute Battalion.2nd Parachute Bn etc, similar but different to:

The Parachute Regiment - who did not come into being until (IIRC) 1944 - and its battalions were styled 1st Battalion The Parachute Regt and so on - which is a bit confusing for outsiders, I find.

Now, memory fails me at this point - I think the Para Regt absorbed some, but not all of the Parahcute Battalions, but I don't think that process had begun by the time of Arnhem, and may not have taken place until war was over.

Gliderborne soldiers were not recruited as individual volunteers. Rather, a Battalion (like the Ox + Bucks who did the Pegasus Bridge) would be fingered for assignment to gliders, and at a Battlalion parade, they would be asked if anyone wanted out*. Few did.

As a result, the cemetery at Oosterbeek is a veritable mish-mash of all sorts of regimental insignia.

Hope that helps a bit.
    ===========
    *Stonkernote 1: Rumour control has it that some infantry battalions were re-badged to Para Regt in the same way, but I have never substantiated this, either to confirm or to deny it.

**Stonkernote 2:Even after the war, passing P Coy and basic parchute training did not entitle the individual to a Red Beret, only to wear wings. A posting to the Airborne Bde was all that was neessary to be allowed the tast titfer.

It was rare, but possible, for un-P-Coy soldiers to wear the coveted Red Beret without earning their wings (I knew an especially useless RMP Officer who managed it way, way back. He kept breaking his leg, and eventually the RMP pulled him off para training and P Coy, but still made the Bde keep him. You can imagine how popular he was - RMP, with no P Coy pass, no wings - wearing maroon headgear: LMFAO :D ). I don't know if the regulations changed when 16 Air Assault Bde came into being - although I seem to remember 1 RRF wearing red berets yonx ago - but that might be just me misremembering.

7. Thanks chaps. I've learned something!

8. [The Parachute Regiment - who did not come into being until (IIRC) 1944 - and its battalions were styled 1st Battalion The Parachute Regt and so on - which is a bit confusing for outsiders, I find

Yes i was chatting to an ol chap not so long ago who was 10th bn Royal Welch Fusiliers When it became the 6th bn Parachute Reg

They even took Billy(the goat) with them. Well they did get lonely!

9. With 5 Ab anyone attached to on of the Para bns wore a red beret regardless if they had even done P coy. System sucked I know.

10. As any Para will tell you its not the beret thats the mark of the gods but the Wings on his arm.

11. Hard bastards, nothing but respect for those fella's.

12. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Some years ago our unit went to Arnhem for a battlefield tour guided by a certain Henry McAnally. This tour was not only historically important and at some points, immensely sad, but re-inforced something fundamental. The veterans of that battle made it very clear to us still serving that they had set the standard and they expected us to match it should it be demanded of us. As an inspiration to perform well it cannot be bettered. As it happens I was never tested in anything near such circumstances but always it was there in my mind that I would not want those veterans to be disappointed at my conduct.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq will equally inspire soldiers.

13. A famous photo to be seen in alot of the Para Reg history books is of Johnny Frosts C - Coy 2Para returning from the Bruneval Raid, wearing a mix of regimental headdress and original style Para helmets. Im not certain but am confident that the Para Reg cap badge came out almost at the same time as the Maroon beret. I don't believe (but am happy to be proven wrong) that it was the norm for soldiers in Para Reg to wear their original regiments cap badge once the maroon beret had been issued.

Everyman and his dog seem to want to wear the Maroon beret these days and be part of the blood clot. In contrast, the S.A.S moaned about having to wear it in 1944 once they came under the A.A.C and wanted to revert back to their own headdress. Also 156Bn Para Reg (raised in India) even preferred to wear their Aussie style bush hats rather than the maroon beret.

As a Paratrooper, I couldn't give a toss if the atts and dets wear our beret as long as they respect it and learn the history behind it and try to live up to the blokes who earnt its reputation. If I had it my way the A.A.C would have sacked that smurf shiit beret of theirs on the formation of the Air Assault Brigade and had the maroon beret, then maybe we could have kept the world famous Peggy badge instead of adopting the dogshiit screaming budgie imitation of the yanks 101st AB.

14. Not wrong.