Arnhem/Remagen link?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sid_Ruff, Nov 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before anyone says anything, this isn't a wind up. I have listened to someone claiming that their Father was at both these events in WW2. Before i go saying anything i want to be 100% that there isn't any way that this could possibly be true.

I cannot find any unit, Allied or Axis, that had members at both battles, no medic/war correspondent, Red Cross or such organisation.

2. It is possible this chaps father could've meant he was stationed on the bridge for guard duties or something like that after the battle?

According to the OrBat of the U.S '9th Armored Division,' no British units were attached to the U.S 9th Armored during the battle.

3. War correspondent?

4. It seems very unlikely. Is it possible that he means Nijmegen, not Remagen; did he say who his father was with?

5. Thanks for the help guys, he is insistent his father had "fought at Arnhem and Remagen", but any more than that, no word. I thought maybe Correspondent but they were/are non-combatants.

Might have meant Nijmegen, I'll ask carefully! Cheers guys.

6. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

IIRC from John Frost's autobio "A Drop Too Many" his POW camp was liberated by Patton's men. When the Yanks heard they had liberated the British paras dropped at Arnhem, they said, "We'd have got through to you." Frost - who thought little of the British armoured relief thrust - agreed.

As Patton's boys were the ones who seized Remagen bridge by coup de main, perhaps this could be what your friend was referring to - or been the source of his confusion.

Or not.

7. Has your friend got a German sounding surname?

8. Has he muddled up the famous battles? The 9th US Armoured Division were at Bastogne and Remagen.