Armyy officer signals!? help

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by joey105, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. well i want to be an officer in the royal signals, i have just finished my gcse's and i am planning on going to do my A levels, i travelled 50 minutes today to meet an army careers officer in York and he wasn't very helpful at all, i asked what A levels he recommend me doing and he says whatever i enjoy.

So basically my question, at university what degree is best that will fit in with my job as troop commander. Thanks much appreciated.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Try Maths, English and a science for A level. And go for Electronics at Uni.

right thats my good deed for the day now I'm going to fcuk off an abuse someone.

3. Communications and Information Systems (CIS), or something pretty close. CIS and providing information and communication services is the Royal Signals' main business, so go for something nice and technical to do with ICT. Alternatively a more mainstream maths / engineering degree will give you the baseline to learn about the scientific and technical demands of comms.

Good luck.

4. Do a technical degree if that suits you but don't select the subject based on what you think the Royal Signals want.

Firstly, although you may be utterly convinced you want to be a Royal Signals officer now, things do change.

Secondly, if you do a degree based on what you think it'll lead to you may end up really resenting your course as you might hate it but feel you have to do it in order to go where you want to go.

Thirdly, IT degrees are bl00dy boring and have very little relevance in the real world unless you do a more Business IT related degree. Even then it won't be that relevant until you've got a few years under your belt.

But at the end of the day, it is your choice.

As mentioned Communication and Information Systems and/or Information Systems Management are relevant. But bear in mind that these aren't a cool as they sound (!) and basically boil down to Computing and Management.

5. My careers officer told me the only corps where you need a technical degree is REME. Engineers, Signals etc do take in people with relevant degrees but equally will take in people with humanities and social sciences degrees if they think they have the aptitude for the work

6. Well don't do English .......... not until you can spell ARMY anyway!

I don't think it really matters what degree you do so long as you have one! Although I would imagine that a technically orientated degree would serve you better and even maybe open up a few jobs in your career you maybe would not get unless technically minded.

An old ops officer of mine had a degree in 'Countryside Management' .........For fnucks sake what is that all about! Mind you it was totally and utterly fnuckin useless at it's job and gained zero respect.

7. I am not sure that the R Signals are that fussed in you having a Comms/Electronics based degree though an understanding can never be a bad thing. Remember that your role is more in the management of the considerable talents at your disposal (your soldiers) rather than you getting in their with some black and nasty and a screw driver.

As to A Levels, I agree with your ACA do something you enjoy and hopefully good at, get the points and be done with it. After all they are just a key that unlock a door.

8. What he said.

FB