Armys stolen laptop sparks embarrassing security scare

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. I am seriously wondering if there is any security information that hasn't been lost.

3. msr

msr LE

4. You've got to wonder why Russia spends so much effort training its spies. Surely it would be far cheaper just to buy them a season ticket for popular MOD commuter routes and get them to sweep up any laptops or briefcases left lying?

5. You think they'd know?

6. Err, yeh - and how many of all these laptops did this chap actually lose himself? None, you say? It was all down to halfwits who can't do as they're told, you say? :roll:

I've no brief for the guy you're flagging up, but I think you might need to look closer to home, among all the fuckwits who think rules don't apply to them. Some of them might even be in combat arms, shocking though it might sound!

Don

7. msr

msr LE

I am on the outside looking in (and laughing my arrse off)

msr

8. "The laptop was missing until last weekend when it came into the possession of a city woman who turned it on to discover confidential files'

Methinks, E-bay, Classifieds, Chav Scum or Secret Service sting......." Turned it on to discover confidential files".................What about passwords ?

Edit: spelling

9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

It is not hard to defeat windows login if you have the know how. That is how most nicked laptops get back on EBay etc.

I would not look too deeply into the conspiracy theory. However, there is an endemic problem with the MOD not understanding the value of data and how to deal with it properly. That needs to be sorted out before any meaningful steps can be taken.

10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Nothing then about a city woman being charged with handling stolen property?

And if this was an MOD laptop then was it not encrypted as they all have to be now to be used outside?

11. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Chimera - your point about encryption just reinforces mine about the MOD as a whole getting on board about security in the electronic spectrum.

Regarding the woman - follow any of the scenarios below and she would be let off because she was not knowingly handling stolen goods:

1. I bought it off Ebay - fired it up and found that it was stolen. here are the details of the man who sold it to me.

2. I found it in the pub toilet. i fired it up to see if it had a company logo so I could hand it in.

3. Etc ad nauseam.

She would be punished for being a good samaritan. That is precisely the sort of thing that Harriet Harperson would want. Why can't she be left to go on with her life after doing the right thing?

12. Please tell me that you’re really not that naïve

Self importance and the rules have never been comfortable bed fellows

After all with all these petty regulations getting in the way how is a fellow meant to do his job (actual quote) :D

13. msr

msr LE

This is the entire MOD attitude in a nutshell: All we have to do is encrypt everything - that'll make it secure.

If only...

msr

14. On being issued his new dii laptop, I heard one senior officer state that he would simply carry on using his own personal laptop at work if he couldn’t use memory sticks on his dii laptop. :roll:

15. Why do people need to take home laptops anyway?

So they can play solitare on the train? Very little proper work gets done at home anyway.

Maybe they should simply stop all staff leaving MOD buildings with any electronic devices or data storage media.

And to leave an MOD laptop in a public car park, probably in view, should be a prosecutable offence under the OSA.

I'm guessing that not everyone has been informed if indeed, anyone at all :pissedoff: