"Armys Iraq Work Assailed by Briton"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011001456.html

Our American friends mainly disagree.

2. :lol: :lol: we are talking about the Americans arent we? :lol: :lol: elite school????

3. OOOh get the septic a handbag. Probably couldn't understand the big words and had to resort to name calling.

4. It is a direct quote from Washington Post.

5. ""I think he's an insufferable British snob," said Col. Kevin Benson, commander of the Army's elite School of Advanced Military Studies, referring to Aylwin-Foster. Benson said he plans a rebuttal."

"Aylwin-Foster, now on assignment in Bosnia, said he has heard favorable early reaction to the article. "The Brits approve, those that have read it," he said by e-mail yesterday."

Does make a point. Interesting that the Commander of the school whose Mission Statement is "The School of Advanced Military Studies educates and trains officers at the graduate level in military art and science to develop commanders and General Staff officers with the abilities to solve complex military problems in peace and war. " can't be bothered to actually use his brain but just resorts to name calling.......

6. Is it any wonder they are criticised with heavy-handed operations like this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1683739,00.html#article_continue

A short extract for those who don't want to/can't access the link:

It began at half past midnight on Saturday when explosives blew apart the three entrances to my house. We thought we had been caught in a bombing, but then a rifle sneaked round our bedroom door and shot a couple of bullets blindly; suddenly our room was filled with the wild sounds of US soldiers.

My three-year-old daughter Sarah woke to this nightmare. She pushed herself on to me and shouted "Daddy, Americans! They will take you! No, no, not like this daddy ..." She tried to say something to one of the soldiers but her tears stopped her from speaking. Instead of blaming the soldier I could see she was blaming me. I tried to calm her down but as I did so the soldier threw me on to the ground and tied me... (article continues)

...So was this intimidation or just a typical piece of bungled repression? I don't know and cannot tell, though I have yet to have my tapes returned. I do know, however, the effect it has had on my daughter. Sarah hates all soldiers and calls them Americans even if they are Iraqis. There is no way she will change her mind about them after that nightmare. There are many Iraqis - Iraqis who welcomed the fall of Saddam - who feel exactly the same today. (article ends)

Hearts and minds? I think not.