ArmyNet through DII

#1
Here's a simple one for the ArmyNet gurus, (Or anyone else who may already know the answer.) it might seem a bit bone, but here goes.
I am now the lucky owner of a shiny new DII(F) terminal, however it is not IGS enabled (Not yet anyway).

Can I access ArmyNet through DII(F)?

If so, how...............in simple terms please, I am no IT whizz. :blush:

Cheers

Verbs
 
#2
The answer's 'yes', but you need an EGS (External Gateway Service - was called IGS until recently) first. If you've got a DII standard account I think EGS is part of the package anyway - ask your adminstrator (or BUPOC, in DII-speak).

Don
 
#3
Donny said:
The answer's 'yes', but you need an EGS (External Gateway Service - was called IGS until recently) first. If you've got a DII standard account I think EGS is part of the package anyway - ask your adminstrator (or BUPOC, in DII-speak).

Don
The system should deliver an EGS account to you as part of the package within 5 days. :D

Litotes
 
#4
Litotes said:
The system should deliver an EGS account to you as part of the package within 5 days. :D
So if you have a DII account you automatically can get onto the internet within 5 days?? Why are they bothering with an extra username and password
 
#5
You only get an automatic EGS account if it is DII(F) standard account.
If it is a DII(C) or a DII(F) occasional account you have to bid for one.
The easiest way if it is a DII(F) occasional account ask your Authorised Demander to upgrade it to a standard user.
Although they say it takes 5 days from receiving your standard account details to your EGS details its more like 2 weeks.
Army Net is only available on the Internet not the Intranet, a bit short-sighted as they plan to move clothing exchanges on to Army Net!
 
#6
Flying Felix said:
You only get an automatic EGS account if it is DII(F) standard account.
If it is a DII(C) or a DII(F) occasional account you have to bid for one.
The easiest way if it is a DII(F) occasional account ask your Authorised Demander to upgrade it to a standard user.
Although they say it takes 5 days from receiving your standard account details to your EGS details its more like 2 weeks.
Army Net is only available on the Internet not the Intranet, a bit short-sighted as they plan to move clothing exchanges on to Army Net!
My bold. And how is that going to work FF? Are they going to email me some new boots?
 
#7
I haven't a clue!
We at Tidworth have been chosen to trial the idea.
I've already written an e-mail to the organisers on how it won't work, as it means that all personnel need Internet access.
 
#8
The trail for clothing exchanges and how they plan it to work in on one of the opening pages on ArmyNET. There is also a FAQ section which should answer any questions.
 
#9
There is another problem too I'm afraid. Armynet is not a trusted site on DII/F and very often it will not load properly or it freezes.

Nobody apparently asked for it to be included when the contract was drawn up. :?: :oops:
 
#10
polar said:
Litotes said:
The system should deliver an EGS account to you as part of the package within 5 days. :D
So if you have a DII account you automatically can get onto the internet within 5 days?? Why are they bothering with an extra username and password
Try using a DII/F laptop! Another 3 layers of passwords and then it doesn't work - and when it does, it still doesn't have EGS on remote working. :crying: :crying: :crying:

On second thoughts; don't try a laptop! :D

Litotes
 
#13
Flying Felix said:
You only get an automatic EGS account if it is DII(F) standard account.
If it is a DII(C) or a DII(F) occasional account you have to bid for one.
The easiest way if it is a DII(F) occasional account ask your Authorised Demander to upgrade it to a standard user.
Although they say it takes 5 days from receiving your standard account details to your EGS details its more like 2 weeks.
Army Net is only available on the Internet not the Intranet, a bit short-sighted as they plan to move clothing exchanges on to Army Net!
So, how does that work for the bulk of our soldiers who need access to DII/F in order to access JPA etc? I thought that EGS came as part of the standard package? Does that mean that occasional users cannot access the Internet and Armynet? But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about DII/F!

BTW, it's 2-5 days for EGS access in my neck of the woods. But a couple of weeks or more to obtain the DII/F account!

Litotes

Edited because I wasn't clear enough!
 
#15
You don't need EGS to get on to JPA, it's an application on all accounts occasional and standard.
 
#18
Process for creating DII(F) account from scratch:

1. Request account to be opened against UIN, for named individual.
2. Wait 1 week.
3. Fill out PREREQ for account creation, either occasional or standard (Internet access).
4. Wait 2 weeks.
5. Request account activation against individual.
6. Wait 1 week.
7. Fill out PREREQ with exactly same information as No 3.
8. Wait 2 weeks (if you’re very lucky).
9. DII (F) account passwords arrive.
10. Wait 1 week.
11. EGS account details arrive (if standard account).

Occasional account - Intranet access not Internet so no access to army Net.

This is easy compaired to site or role changing!
 
#19
Thanks for the replies, wasn't as bone a question as I first thought it was then? :wink:

Just dug up the DIN about the change from IGS to EGS (Enterprise Gateway Service) Don't we just ferking love acronyms eh?

Where were the ArmyNet bods anyway, I thought that they'd have rushed in to reply to this one, never mind, job done.

Cheers all.

Verbs

Edited for mong spelling. 8O
 
#20
ukdaytona said:
Is Army net used in oh lets say, Main Building or Northwood?
Yes but we're both on DII C not F.

Being a stab and a Snivel Servant I've got a C account as a normal user and an F account as an occasional user.

Can I use my IGS (whatever it's called this week) account (from C) on my F account?
 

Similar threads

Top