ArmyNET Sharepoint

IS Ski Geek

War Hero
Moderator
#1
Has anyone come into contact with ArmyNET Sharepoint yet? A number of units are now starting to create sharepoint websites within ArmyNET where they can disemminate useful info and so on. To access the site, log into into ArmyNET as per normal. When the main page opens, look in the Announcements section (top right) and follow the link for sharepoint. Once you're in there you need to read the blurb in there and carry on normal jogging. A few TA units have sites on there already and there is also a DCCIS site being developed in there and various bits of course information are being added all the time.
 
#2
Yes, been using it for a couple of months now, mainly for course info. Pretty handy.

Unit stuff will be more interesting when it's used more widely.
 
#3
IS Ski Geek said:
A few TA units have sites on there already
Its a really usefull tool for TA units, mine is spread over a large part of the UK and being able to share docs and other info would be great (and not be stored on a variety of work, home, TA pc's, USB sticks etc)
 
#4
polar said:
Its a really usefull tool for TA units, mine is spread over a large part of the UK and being able to share docs and other info would be great (and not be stored on a variety of work, home, TA pc's, USB sticks etc)
I reckon one of the big advantages is that it allows unclas information to be accessed from pretty much anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're on CSV, DII/F, home internet, PJHQ.com, welfare internet etc, you can browse to the same front page. One of the biggest obstacles in my opinion is the tendency for people to overclassify stuff as restricted. There's a DIN out at the moment which explains the use of UNCLAS-PROTECT and I suspect that careful use of the appropriate PM and caveat would allow far more useful information to go on ArmyNET. It also restricts access to valid members of ArmyNET and not the walts who come on here pretending to be Andy McNab.

Defo very useful for TA, but also for training purposes and I also like the ability to create wikis (although difficult to control) and blogs. Let suggest for example that the OC is fed up with submitting a squadron's worth of wire notes every month, why not get the troopies to do a weekly blog? It's also far more flexible than a traditional website where you collate all your information and send it your webmaster to be converted and uploaded. This way as soon as something happens you can draw attention to it.

One good thing about sharepoint when I was at my last unit was that people would upload a document and then send out a hyperlink. They would also post announcements on the Regt's main homepage, whereas the unit I'm at now just sends out vast amounts of spam email with pointless attachments. An information "pull" policy is miles better than one of "push".

Sharepoint's a winner and I've been a fan for a while. If anyone needs further info PM me and I'll point you in the direction of a man who can square you away. The IS mob have already got their own little trade area on there, so there's no reason why others can't do the same.
 
#5
^Have seen the IS mob area and it really sells sharepoint.

Maybe the remainder of the mafioso community should embrace sharepoint as well as the FofS IS are?
 
#6
It's good to hear that Sharepoint is being embraced. I echo the positive comments made in this thread - it is a forward thinking way of doing business, especially for those units such as TA and independant units that have a wide geographical spread.

IMHO any unit that takes the time to stand up a unit website within ArmyNET to better enable communcations should go the extra step and set up a sharepoint area so it can do its day to day routine business better too. There are bags of tutorials out there, and the ArmyNET team can offer technical advice, too.

Regards,

ARL
 
#7
ArmyNET_Assistance said:
IMHO any unit that takes the time to stand up a unit website within ArmyNET to better enable communcations should go the extra step and set up a sharepoint area so it can do its day to day routine business better too.
I don't think you need to bother with a unit website, just use sharepoint, its far easier to upload any announcements/news items straight to sharepoint.
I administer a sharepoint 2 site @ work, all the routine do this, do that emails get stored on it, I reckon its saved us many hours.

Its funny, however, seeing the increase of site requests after two recent arrse threads. ArmyNET also seems to be getting similar TA hits than the TA ARRSE forum, I think that will improve once ArmyNET has a TA Signals site (or one standing in its place) - the kids are far more IT/web aware than many officers and SNCO's, they try ArmyNET and then some get to ARRSE.

p.s. After a butt kiss post... can I have my regts site now :D :D
 
#8
polar said:
ArmyNET_Assistance said:
IMHO any unit that takes the time to stand up a unit website within ArmyNET to better enable communcations should go the extra step and set up a sharepoint area so it can do its day to day routine business better too.
I don't think you need to bother with a unit website, just use sharepoint, its far easier to upload any announcements/news items straight to sharepoint.
I administer a sharepoint 2 site @ work, all the routine do this, do that emails get stored on it, I reckon its saved us many hours.

Its funny, however, seeing the increase of site requests after two recent arrse threads. ArmyNET also seems to be getting similar TA hits than the TA ARRSE forum, I think that will improve once ArmyNET has a TA Signals site (or one standing in its place) - the kids are far more IT/web aware than many officers and SNCO's, they try ArmyNET and then some get to ARRSE.

p.s. After a butt kiss post... can I have my regts site now :D :D
Unit sites still have a place - they offer a far more familiar way of accessing information on the web to those that are perhaps not so used to new ways of working. This does mean that such sites - as you point out - are slightly more demanding to maintain.

Please PM me with your details for a regt site.

Regards,

ARL
 
#10
Not seen an awful lot of action on the ArmyNET WSS sites recently. A couple of the TA ones look OK. Like the trade training site and the 38 Sigs one.
 
#11
I think part of the problem is ArmyNET, one or two Arrse users I've spoken to had lost their passwords or something similar.

Is access to ArmyNET different via RLI? I read somewhere it was (but no specifics).
 
#12
polar said:
I think part of the problem is ArmyNET, one or two Arrse users I've spoken to had lost their passwords or something similar.

Is access to ArmyNET different via RLI? I read somewhere it was (but no specifics).
Shouldn't be any different. From the RLI, it goes through the Enterprise Gateway Service, which is just a big proxy web server gateway thingummyjig.
 
#14
polar said:
Is that different to IGS, was involved with a project that tried to resell to MOD IGS (NHS Net) as a new thing
Yeah they just renamed IGS as EGS and changed a couple of the security rules, but nothing major. Probably just enough to rip off the taxpayer for a few squillion quid.
 
#15
PoisonDwarf said:
polar said:
Its a really usefull tool for TA units, mine is spread over a large part of the UK and being able to share docs and other info would be great (and not be stored on a variety of work, home, TA pc's, USB sticks etc)
I reckon one of the big advantages is that it allows unclas information to be accessed from pretty much anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're on CSV, DII/F, home internet, PJHQ.com, welfare internet etc, you can browse to the same front page. One of the biggest obstacles in my opinion is the tendency for people to overclassify stuff as restricted. There's a DIN out at the moment which explains the use of UNCLAS-PROTECT and I suspect that careful use of the appropriate PM and caveat would allow far more useful information to go on ArmyNET. It also restricts access to valid members of ArmyNET and not the walts who come on here pretending to be Andy McNab.

Defo very useful for TA, but also for training purposes and I also like the ability to create wikis (although difficult to control) and blogs. Let suggest for example that the OC is fed up with submitting a squadron's worth of wire notes every month, why not get the troopies to do a weekly blog? It's also far more flexible than a traditional website where you collate all your information and send it your webmaster to be converted and uploaded. This way as soon as something happens you can draw attention to it.

One good thing about sharepoint when I was at my last unit was that people would upload a document and then send out a hyperlink. They would also post announcements on the Regt's main homepage, whereas the unit I'm at now just sends out vast amounts of spam email with pointless attachments. An information "pull" policy is miles better than one of "push".
Sharepoint's a winner and I've been a fan for a while. If anyone needs further info PM me and I'll point you in the direction of a man who can square you away. The IS mob have already got their own little trade area on there, so there's no reason why others can't do the same.
Whilst I won't disagree with the rest of your post, your point in bold needs countering!

I can hear a friend of mine ranting about this when he says "How do I know what I don't know and how do I go looking for information that I don't know about?"

He has a very good point and makes it far more eloquently than I can - and he runs a website. The Services have always been a "push" organisation and the recent and unannounced change to a "pull" organisation is not a good one, IMHO.

Litotes
 
#16
"Push" is always subject to filtering and I can think of number of times a "pull" on this site resulted in a "push" by me on official means. I'd go as far as saying this site wouldn't exist if the "push" attitude worked.

ArmyNET sharepoint does both push and pull, the push is the news items that allow you to see what has changed. With the documents section allowing a pull. Its beauty is that it can be changed easily and so allowing the content to be current, its downfall is accessibility - although its easier than getting on ArmyNET, you need to get on ArmyNET to establish a username and password.

People using sharepoint is quite minimal, it appears to mainly be regular IS Eng and TA Operators who do civvie IS Eng work. I've not had much luck getting sharepoint as an official means of communication, it was quite ironic that one conversation ended with a moan about a facebook video. In my Sqn/Regt Facebook has the highest TA usage, arrse a close 2nd and ArmyNET last. These figures maybe faulty, my sqn has members in 3 of the largest UK cities and so may gain more IT aware soldiers.
 
#17
PoisonDwarf said:
polar said:
I think part of the problem is ArmyNET, one or two Arrse users I've spoken to had lost their passwords or something similar.

Is access to ArmyNET different via RLI? I read somewhere it was (but no specifics).
Shouldn't be any different. From the RLI, it goes through the Enterprise Gateway Service, which is just a big proxy web server gateway thingummyjig.
Access to ArmyNET should be exactly the same through the EGS as it is through your home terminal. However, some systems, DII/F in particular do some weird things when trying to access ArmyNET. If you are experiencing any difficulties or peculiarities, please send me a PM with the details and I'll see it we can resolve it.

Regards,

ARL
 
#18
I've also noticed that WSS doesn't integrate with Firefox as much as it does with IE. It doesn't let you upload multiple documents or use explorer mode in document libraries. Ah well, not ArmyNET's fault, just one of those things you get with Microsoft.
 
#19
ArmyNET_Assistance said:
If you are experiencing any difficulties or peculiarities, please send me a PM with the details and I'll see it we can resolve it.
thanks. I'll ask around and see what problems people have been facing.
 
#20
Litotes said:
PoisonDwarf said:
polar said:
Its a really usefull tool for TA units, mine is spread over a large part of the UK and being able to share docs and other info would be great (and not be stored on a variety of work, home, TA pc's, USB sticks etc)
I reckon one of the big advantages is that it allows unclas information to be accessed from pretty much anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're on CSV, DII/F, home internet, PJHQ.com, welfare internet etc, you can browse to the same front page. One of the biggest obstacles in my opinion is the tendency for people to overclassify stuff as restricted. There's a DIN out at the moment which explains the use of UNCLAS-PROTECT and I suspect that careful use of the appropriate PM and caveat would allow far more useful information to go on ArmyNET. It also restricts access to valid members of ArmyNET and not the walts who come on here pretending to be Andy McNab.

Defo very useful for TA, but also for training purposes and I also like the ability to create wikis (although difficult to control) and blogs. Let suggest for example that the OC is fed up with submitting a squadron's worth of wire notes every month, why not get the troopies to do a weekly blog? It's also far more flexible than a traditional website where you collate all your information and send it your webmaster to be converted and uploaded. This way as soon as something happens you can draw attention to it.

One good thing about sharepoint when I was at my last unit was that people would upload a document and then send out a hyperlink. They would also post announcements on the Regt's main homepage, whereas the unit I'm at now just sends out vast amounts of spam email with pointless attachments. An information "pull" policy is miles better than one of "push".
Sharepoint's a winner and I've been a fan for a while. If anyone needs further info PM me and I'll point you in the direction of a man who can square you away. The IS mob have already got their own little trade area on there, so there's no reason why others can't do the same.
Whilst I won't disagree with the rest of your post, your point in bold needs countering!

I can hear a friend of mine ranting about this when he says "How do I know what I don't know and how do I go looking for information that I don't know about?"

He has a very good point and makes it far more eloquently than I can - and he runs a website. The Services have always been a "push" organisation and the recent and unannounced change to a "pull" organisation is not a good one, IMHO.

Litotes
Assuming users have enough rights for lists and document libraries, click on Actions --> Alert Me. You can set up an email alert to yourself with the following options:
************************
Change Type
Specify the type of changes that you want to be alerted to.
Only send me alerts when:

All changes
New items are added
Existing items are modified
Items are deleted
Web discussion updates

Send Alerts for These Changes
Specify whether to filter alerts based on specific criteria. You may also restrict your alerts to only include items that show in a particular view.
Send me an alert when:

Anything changes
Someone else changes a document
Someone else changes a document created by me
Someone else changes a document last modified by me

When to Send Alerts
Specify how frequently you want to be alerted.

Send e-mail immediately
Send a daily summary
Send a weekly summary
****************************

With the Alerts in place, you now have a way of pulling relevant information to you.

Curryhead
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top