ArmyNet mail

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just received this so for info; if you automatically forward email to a non-MoD address:

Attention - currently you have either an armymail.mod.uk, royalnavymail.mod.uk or cadetmail.mod.uk account and it's forwarding all emails to this account which is in breach of the Defence Gateway SyOPS.

On Wednesday 7th December 2016 we will be removing the forward and disabling the functionality.

Regards,
The Defence Gateway Team

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because the rules have changed. The whole Defence Gateway is evolving and people should expect things to change as the team understands better how it all works.

Defence Gateway (and its associated email systems) are becoming used more than originally intended and because of this the evil Information Assurance people (I know I was one) have reviewed email use.

This rule means the user has to actively forward an email - in this way they take ownership and responsibility for what is sent. In effect they have assessed the classification and are happy it meets the rules and is cleared for transmission out of the Defence Gateway cloud.

People are now starting to use their Defence Gateway accounts to do "official" work outside of the previous DII network and so there needs to be more care on how it is controlled. In addition things like Defence Connect (especially via the Jive app) are the means for reserves and other odds and sods to do their e-business.

You can set up your email client to reach in and get your DG email. Very simple to set up and allows you to have the emails on your devices. The reason for the no re-transmission is to do with compromised email accounts. If you set this up and your Gmail account is compromised then the leak of emails continues - in this case you get them direct to your iPhone (other devices available) and you have better control over access. It makes an assumption people are following the advice given in their IA training and are managing their digital lives better. A weak link but.....

Remember OFFICIAL classification assumes the networks will deter deliberate compromise by sophisticated, determined and well resources threat actors. It does not mean they will resist (that is SECRET and above).

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never mind that I left in 2011 and I got it as well.
The email remains available to veterans, as does access to MODBOX. May change but may not.

It's just an email address like any other. It's not a work email address. I've got one and I left years ago.
It's a breach of the SYOPS for a reason.

I see this sort of thing on a regular basis, individuals spend ages doing e-learning and things such as the IM passport and then send a load of work correspondence to their hotmail / yahoo etc. account. This is because people don't understand the implications of what they are doing and, generally, don't take it seriously.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I mean in terms of auto-forwarding mail externally from a MOD address. It's very bad practice from a security perspective in my opinion.
Truth be told, I get a message once every two months on average where x @ armymail has granted me delegate access to their mail. I'm yet to have a clue who any of these people are.

I'd advocate closing that loophole rather than the forwarding thing.

It's a breach of the SYOPS for a reason.

I see this sort of thing on a regular basis, individuals spend ages doing e-learning and things such as the IM passport and then send a load of work correspondence to their hotmail / yahoo etc. account. This is because people don't understand the implications of what they are doing and, generally, don't take it seriously.
My "insecure" hotmail account has two step verification and a password that would take 1 Octillion years to brute force and is only used for that account. Forwarding emails to that account is not an issue.

My "insecure" hotmail account has two step verification and a password that would take 1 Octillion years to brute force and is only used for that account. Forwarding emails to that account is not an issue.
Vs. The Ops officer who hides his Dii password at the back of his moleskin notebook. emails are only secure as the sack if meat with the password.

What about the journey between the two accounts though? Email traffic doesn't go directly from A to B does it.

Hotmail has been hacked many times in the past and will be again. To say forwarding emails from a military system to hotmail or any other email system is not an issue is the height of stupidity.

It has been "hacked" by people brute forcing and people using the same passwords for many websites.

It has been "hacked" by people brute forcing and people using the same passwords for many websites.
Indeed, which shows it is vulnerable, so my point stands. In addition as was pointed out, emails have to travel to the hotmail servers and there is no encryption on hotmail and as such the emails are sent in plain text which can be intercepted enroute to the hotmail servers (which as you know is very easy) and as such my point stands again.