ArmyFit - Is it working?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Chalky, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Yes, quite well

0 vote(s)
  2. Not at all. Flawed from the off. Get a big-titted lovely for each TAC and see if that works.

0 vote(s)
  3. In part, but not as well as it could

0 vote(s)
  4. What the hell is armyfit?

0 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been around a little while now and I have to say that I think the Armyfit campaign is quite innovative and has certainly sent a few recruiting queries my way from various colleagues and their sons/daughters.

So, has ArmyFit helped recruiting at your unit and is it a good campaign?

Would it have appealed to you had you not already joined?
  2. msr

msr LE

Chalky, you need to add

What the hell is armyfit?

3. and/or

.....when was the last time you went skiing with the TA? (as last night's advert would suggest?)

More to the point, apart from a few notable exceptions, when was the gym equipment in your TAC renewed? (in stark contrast to almost all regular establishments - many of whom have state of the art fitness suites).

Gucci advert, Woolworths Kit, and virtual PTIs. It'll never work.
  4. erm, I don't go skiing cause I have to put civvie job/family first. As for gym equipment, I won't mention the guys who went to the new gym, the newly redecorated/about to be demolished bar was good enough for me
  5. I went skiing in december, in fairness.

Am going walking in June and Sailing in August, so the advert strikes me as representative of my experience.

Well, the AT side does. Can't remember when I last did anything in Green that wasn't a MATT.
  6. I think that panic is now over, we can now ditch frequent MATTs and skiing and get on with the proper green job.
  7. We have new state of the art gym equipment, we have 2 x pers going on a skiing holiday/exercise! We also have one going on Ops. Is this a true reflection of the TA keep fit program.......Yes.
  8. I'm with msr - put a never seen / been affected by it button on the poll.

Apart from hearing about it on this site it might as well not be happening as far as I'm aware. I know I'm not in the target audience but you'd think I'd have seen it somewhere.
  9. ^It's happening, but maybe not in your part of town.
  10. msr

msr LE

Does that represent less than 3% of your subunit....?

Thought so.

11. No, what it represented is those able to do the stated are able to do it. I'm sure, time and personal circumstances permitting, many others would have grabbed the "bull by the horns".

I know for sure that there are 30+ going to France on an AT week later this year and at least 15+ going to Italy on a Command and leadership exercise.

There are many opportunities within the TA to expand and do numerous activities, you just have to get off your arrse and go and find them!
  12. Seconded. Armyfit has not been in our arena! Only seen the gucci adverts. As far as I am aware, nobody in our unit has ever been skiing, lept out of planes etc. And yes, we do have a lot of people that are ready to go on these courses at a moments notice!

I think the furthest we get to go is Catterick..... (Although we have had some nice 'battlefield tours')
  13. Ho hum - of course you can go if you want to - you can go on a bl**dy trampolining course if you want to, and have the time.

My point is that

a) few TACs have such facilities to maintain fitness, and
    b) that to suggest that TA soldiers regularly go skiing or indeed, become magically fit as a result of joining is hogwash.

At then end of the day, the truism of the TA is that you get out of it what you put in - there's no such thing as a free lunch. These adverts would have you believe otherwise.
  14. Mine go about twice a year (granted it's mainly for those above junior rank).
  15. My unit goes skiing every year, and will continue to do so. We have had the opportunity to go adventure training in South Africa, Peru and that perennial favourite Wales, but then we are a composite TA/Reg regiment.
    If your unit doesn't do it, either find one that does or, go and organise it yourself. The money is there all you have to do is ask for it - your PSAO and PSI will know about getting hold of the cash.

Having said that though, the adverts are still misleading.