Army work references?

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Honeymonster222, May 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I left in 07 after 5 years REME VM service, did summer temps in between university until now. So no real references. I am now about to graduate so how do I go about getting references from the army? Im stuck! I got one academic reference and the one I use for work reference is:

    APC MS Support - Disclosures 1
    MP 520, Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    G2 8EX
    Tel: 0845 600 9663
    Fax: 0141 224 3172

    Is this correct?
  2. You should have received a testimonial outlining your service and what a good all round egg you were, this is used as your reference from the forces. If you did not receive one (I'm still waiting for mine), then you need to chase this up through the address you have. Disclosures will copy all paperwork held on you on receipt of a freedom of information request, however they will let you know that due to the amount of applications they have it could take some time.
  3. I received my Testimonial last year once I had left aftyer my 22 years. To be honest its not worth the paper its written on. The content was fine but it was printed out on normal paper, signed off by a guy i never knew and looked very cheap and tacky. I would be embarrassed to show it to a future employer. My 7 year old daughter could have come up with better.
    My advice, try to contact an old OC or an other Officer you have worked with, ask them if they will be a referee for you in the future.
  4. totally agree the discharge book etc looks like I made it in my garage when I was drunk. Also signed by someone I never met. Since leaving I have written several references for people I knew/worked for me in the Army so the suggestion above is a good one.
  5. I've always used the Kentigern House one with no problems. All the HR departments are really after is confirmation that you actually worked there at the dates you state and that you weren't sacked for being a cnut.
  6. Whats supposed to be in it?

    I only got record of service which shows what courses I did in the army, and how long I served for with the REME. It doesnt contain my postings and operational tour. Am I missing something? Discharge book?
  7. You dont get the nice Discharge Book (Red Book) anymore, simply the crap piece of paper, card if you are lucky, testimonial.
    Everyone gets one, you should have this at least.