Army WO3s and RAF WO1s

Grrr
Uniformed civil servants, with a rank structure, and officers who went to Cranwell but only had warrants. It gets confusing as we also quality for help from the RAF Benevolent Fund.

I went to camp,as an ATC cadet at RAF Horsham St Faiths (which I think is now Norwich airport) in the 1960s. Also there was the ROC on an annual camp too. They wore battledress and therefore had their medal ribbons up. One of our adult officers pointed out all the DFCs, AFCs ribbon etc. etc. It seems that a lot of wing commanders, group aptains etc in those days joined the ROC as "non comissioned" observers who drank in the naafi and eat in the cookhouse.

Last edited:
I haven’t bothered reading any of @John G latest drivel. Still unsure why a passed over hasn’t been with a exceptionally dull military non-career hangs out on here. I can only imagine the scene he paints with the rest of his ex-pat crew, when not admiring the scenery or enjoying the cuisine.

In that case thank you for reading and repeating my post to give it a wider audience.
Still no one will read them, so not read twice

I haven’t bothered reading any of @John G latest drivel..
.....of course you haven't ......
....passed over hasn’t been with a exceptionally dull military non-career
....difficult to square that with ...
(Or to give him full title: Major, A/Lt Col, L/Col (Retd))
.... only four hours before!!!:rofl:

Still unsure why a passed over hasn’t been with a exceptionally dull military non-career hangs out on here
... don't let it worry you; I'm sure it's very different to why a still serving passed over hasn't been pen-pusher with an exceptionally dull military non-career does.
I can only imagine the scene he paints with the rest of his ex-pat crew, when not admiring the scenery or enjoying the cuisine.
... and you're an expert at imagining! :rofl:

Last edited:
Nothing beats a good old ARRSE cünt off.
You know I’ve had my fair share of spats with @stacker1 over the years. Difference is I have respect for his principles, currency and that he is a soldiers’ advocate.

John meanwhile epitomises everything I detested when I first applied and joined in the early 90s. Pompous with excessive self-belief born from an entitled sense of superiority. He was exactly the type that I first encountered during my early recruitment process and rounds of PO visits. The type of officer that didn’t want grubby hard-working but socially different young officers in his mess.

Fortunately the army has changed. People like John are a dying breed and are now consigned to the passed over, mess bachelor, sat in the corner, irrelevant, and ignored, propping up the bottom third. So much for the Harrow education, eh.

Is it just me or has our resident Oracle spent 5 pages thrashing around answering a question that no-one, except himself, had asked?
Good strategy isn't it?
You know I’ve had my fair share of spats with @stacker1 over the years. Difference is I have respect for his principles, currency and that he is a soldiers’ advocate.

John meanwhile epitomises everything I detested when I first applied and joined in the early 90s. Pompous with excessive self-belief born from an entitled sense of superiority. He was exactly the type that I first encountered during my early recruitment process and rounds of PO visits. The type of officer that didn’t want grubby hard-working but socially different young officers in his mess.

Fortunately the army has changed. People like John are a dying breed and are now consigned to the passed over, mess bachelor, sat in the corner, irrelevant, and ignored, propping up the bottom third. So much for the Harrow education, eh.
I like the fact he went on about networking, despite someone with current experience saying it's not such a big thing any more.

The type of officer that didn’t want grubby hard-working but socially different young officers in his mess.
Yesss .... I've never advocated commissioning far more from the ranks earlier, repeatedly, consistently, and more than anyone else posting here have I? ... and never said, repeatedly, that I had junior ranks who would have made far, far better officers than half the platoon commanders I had, who were a waste of space and a liability, and who would have gone on to do far more in and for the Army if only the Army had maximised their potential?

No, of course I haven't ...

... and I've never said that the old school tie absurdly gives those below par applicants at AOSB with it more chance of getting in now than they ever had forty years ago ...

No, of course I haven't ...
Fortunately the army has changed.
Unfortunately far too little has. There's still an abundance of time serving wasters looking for someone to blame for their own failings, explaining them away with 'at least the system's changed for the better and it's not stacked against the grubby / socially different / uneducated / inept / fat / lazy / gay / straight / BAME / locally accented / insert any other excuse imaginable / which is why I never made it when I should have'.

Blaming others for your own shortcomings and failures is beyond sad. It's pathetic.

As presiding member in a Garrison mess, we only had room for WOs1. One Bn had 16 Conductors.
The lunch was informal prior to a mess meeting. It forestalled many a faux pas.
Christ! How big was their band, then?

The glorified bedding store man comment was a little unkind, especially when you consider that he will also have a FTRS Sgt to do most of the donkey work for him.
There are a few senior SWO ‘appointments’ worthy of the title, but it does not in general equate to the majority of Army WOI appointments.
Indeed; the SWO at RAF Trogir, Split (formerly DJ Bks) in 2000 was a complete tw@t!!

What were the SSM and RSM called (officially)?
My old regiment:
RSM was called Sir by OR's and Mr by Officers.
SSM sir by lower ranked OR's, Sergeant Major by those above including officers.
Staff Sergeants were Staff.
SQMS who normally was a Staff Sergeant was referred to as Q.

My old regiment:
RSM was called Sir by OR's and Mr by Officers.
SSM sir by lower ranked OR's, Sergeant Major by those above including officers.
Staff Sergeants were Staff.
SQMS who normally was a Staff Sergeant was referred to as Q.
don't forget SSM & SQMS can also apply to Staff Sergeant Major (WO1) and Staff Quartermaster Sergeant (WO2).

I like the fact he went on about networking, despite someone with current experience saying it's not such a big thing any more.
You do? I'm flattered.

Did you like it when I pointed out that the poster who claimed to have spent the last twenty years networking in the City (and who said he'd got his job doing interviews through networking) had also claimed earlier in the same thread to have spent the last twenty years travelling around the world with a team advising on leadership and HR?

Busy chap:rofl:!

I've spent the best part of twenty years in the City
My experience in the last twenty years that globally, in the 15 cities over 10 countries and 3 continents where I've led teams, we are getting better at educating and training, we have dramatically improved leadership skills at all levels and organisations have got much better at understanding what makes them effective and what make their staff tick.
..... and he's now re-appeared as a serving policeman, in the same and other threads:
I see that in policing and it's not helpful. Get in, tear down your predecessors effort, make your mark and move on (not my words BTW, a Chief Constable at a conference I went to said it). For higher command (think Commander upwards) you want to collect the Triad, (One of: Organised Crime/Major Investigation/Sexual Offences), Counter Terrorism and Professional Standards.
If it was the same place (north of the river), that was my first posting! The establishment in question was (is) still very close to the nick and the famous brown gates were still there last time I went past it.
This Commissioner is one of the sharpest and most experienced and is genuinely liked by the rank and file, the likes of which I haven't seen in at least the last ten years. She speaks plainly and in support of the boys and girls that do the job in one of the toughest policing environments we've ever seen.

Yes, I am a fan and I've met her more than once.
:rofl::rofl: Busy, busy chap :rofl::rofl:

don't forget SSM & SQMS can also apply to Staff Sergeant Major (WO1) and Staff Quartermaster Sergeant (WO2).
No disagreement with you.
I was referring to my old regiment, I mentioned in a previous post many local informal titles/appointments existed particularly in cav regiments.
The SSM I mentioned was Squadron Sergeant Major(WO2).

Latest Threads