Army WO3s and RAF WO1s

well, I think we're the same generation ( I commissioned in Dec 77). I think you speak a lot of sense, I guess we're just from a different era?
The 'era' has nothing to do with it.

Amazing. FWIW I'd assumed from your posts that you were a not particularly bright and rather uninformed VM who'd probably reached his ceiling as an over-promoted time-serving LCpl who may have spent some time in a bn LAD, or maybe an RMP who'd failed to make it in the real police or had been rejected by everyone else at the factory. I'd never given it much thought. Gen.

edit: As bob correctly pointed out earlier, commanding coys / sqns, at least in inf bns, RE, etc, was pretty well exclusively limited to psc Majs, and as others have pointed out often / usually after a PSC tour as a Maj elsewhere, so to have commanded a Coy in a Field unit as a 28 year old acting Maj for a full tour and then have carried on to command another, as you seem to imply, on ops, is very much "exceptional" and "out of the ordinary".

Since I've been totally open and honest about my own background when asked, in detail, could you reciprocate?

Where did you actually command a coy as a 28 year old, and what exactly was it? ... and what actual command or appointment did you go on to do afterwards, and in what "actual Operational area", still as an acting Maj?
Youre making assumptions/extrapolating from incomplete data there, Johnny. Coy Command was in SE England for just shy of a year.

Separate E1 deployment to Afghanistan. I'm not putting unit names/the Operational role on the internet. Never have, never will.

Top notch ad hom at the start, though - something that you seem to get your knickers in a twist about when directed at you.

I’m quite sure that I crossed paths with JG and one of his peers from the Queens who went on to be a 2*. I think folk like us are from a different era with a different outlook. I don’t always agree with JG but he makes some good points.

I didn’t choose...’ followed in the same post by ‘I chose......’
Different choices:
I didn't choose to be judge and jury, I simply ended up caught in a position where I could either do the best job I was able to and do what I knew was right, which nobody else was willing or able to do, or I could say "fแck this, nothing to do with me, squire" and walk away.
I chose not to just walk away. I'm neither 'proud' nor ashamed about that and, despite what some people have said here, I think anyone with a shred of humanity, decency and self-respect would have done the same thing.
I'm sure beyond any possible doubt that you'd never be in the former position as that would not only mean someone thinking you could actually do something useful and help but your being willing to do so, for no reason other than it being the right thing to do.

I'm equally sure that if you ever were that in the latter case you'd choose to do what got you to where you were and is evidently how you lead your life - doing nothing wrong by doing nothing at all.
Classic @John G here everyone.....
Prety well sums you up ... incapable of original thought or action, unable to take a decision by yourself, and desperate for approval, whoever it comes from.

Sad ... not for you, but for the Army and those unfortunate enough to serve with time-serving dross like you.

Last edited:
you'd never be in the former position as that would not only mean someone thinking you could actually do something useful and help but your being willing to do so,
More like you were big timing it, grandstanding. Did you start by introducing yourself as Colonel?

If they had already come to an agreement, why were you needed at all?

You failed to get all the relevant information, you made an assumption, passed judgement, passed sentence and went along your merry way leaving a trail of destruction behind you. There are one of two sure things here, either:

You assisted rapists - as the real punishment for rape is more severe than a mediocre fine.

Or

You extorted money out of innocent blokes, who were the victims of the lies of the bar girl.

Either way, you perverted the course of justice. It was yet another mediocre performance by you, lead by your pomposity and arrogance as usual.

Interlocutor with the police (who also 'log-in' at your house when on duty in your area) bothering the DA and the posties at the embassy (who also need to know where you are, just in case!); you have a very heightened sense of your own significance don't you?

I’m quite sure that I crossed paths with JG and one of his peers from the Queens who went on to be a 2*. I think folk like us are from a different era with a different outlook. I don’t always agree with JG but he makes some good points.
Hello John

You're using the wrong log-in John.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Interlocutor with the police (who also 'log-in' at your house when on duty in your area)
Which part of this didn't you understand:
The police unofficially provided the security guards for the estate I lived on for about a year and they were also paid to visit the estate every couple of hours in uniform, on duty, and they kept a book they 'logged in' to at my house, as I was the first house on the estate and there was only one way in / out and I could witness it for them.
They had to at somebody's as they were paid to, by the estate - if they didn't log in and it wasn't witnessed they weren't paid. If I wasn't there they tok it to the next house to witness.

It's a perfectly normal, routine, well-known system on gated estates, even in the West.
bothering the DA ...
I assuned it was part of his job. Evidently incorrectly.
...and the posties at the embassy (who also need to know where you are, just in case!)
It's a mandatory requirement if you're on the RARO list and resident overseas, now simply done on-line. Do you understand what 'mandatory' means?
... you have a very heightened sense of your own significance don't you?
No.

More like you were big timing it, grandstanding. Did you start by introducing yourself as Colonel?
No, as 'John'. That's why, despite Thai custom, they called me ... "John" (actually 'Khun John', or 'Mr John').
If they had already come to an agreement, why were you needed at all?
They hadn't.
You failed to get all the relevant information
She told me she hadn't consented and had told them not to. They all told me she hadn't consented and had told them not to.

What more "information" do you think was needed?
you made an assumption,
What assumption?
passed judgement, passed sentence
What judgement? What sentence?
either:
You assisted rapists - as the real punishment for rape is more severe than a mediocre fine.
They couldn't be charged and weren't. The victim refused to make a complaint and they never confessed to the police.
Or
You extorted money out of innocent blokes, who were the victims of the lies of the bar girl.
They were under no compulsion to pay so there was no possible extortion, and they'd confirmed exactly what the bar-girl said.

Rather like all the open source reports and vids on Milan, they could of course all have been lying and it was yet another conspiracy.

Just trying to inject some levity!
It's a mandatory requirement if you're on the RARO list and resident overseas, now simply done on-line. Do you understand what 'mandatory' means? No.
Really? It’s a mandatory requirement to keep contact details up to date when living in the UK but surely Reserve liabilty is suspended when you inform Glasgow that you have moved overseas? There is no means of enforcing it - UK courts have no jurisdiction.

When I wrote to Glasgow to tell them I had moved overseas I got a letter back temporarily waving my commitment to the RARO, a commitment which was subsequently cancelled when I applied to join the ADF.

dingerr said:
No, as 'John'. That's why, despite Thai custom, they called me ... "John" (actually 'Khun John', or 'Mr John').
Even a half-wit would have understood that dingerr was referring to you introducing yourself to the squaddies,

Remember, the cops called you apparently, why would you need to introduce yourself to the people that called you.

Youre making assumptions/extrapolating from incomplete data there, Johnny. .
No assumptions at all, and you've just completed the "data".

You claimed that commanding a Coy as an Acting Maj at 28 "was by no means exceptional, or out of the ordinary." Apart from you not actually commanding a Coy as an Acting Maj at 28 but just standing in as I was as an Acting Capt at 25, it was actually very exceptional and out of the ordinary for Combat Arms and CS and only unexceptional in CSS, for example in AGC (SPS) or RMP.

No assumption there at all.
Separate E1 deployment to Afghanistan.
As above, apart from for 'mentors' post Herrick 8 where it was meaningless.
I'm not putting unit names/the Operational role on the internet. Never have, never will.
I'll bet you're not, although you're perfectly happy to insist I do or encourage / support those who insist I do. Rather hypocritical, but not surprising.

Evidently CSS, probably AGC(SPS or RMP). Nothing wrong with that at all, but hardly the impression you're trying so hard to give.

As far as asumption / extrapolations go, probably an ex-cadet, most likely Air or Sea Cadet as you know less than an Army cadet, who failed to get into the RAF or RN, scraped into RMAS, then ended up with AGC as no-one else would have you.

It’s a mandatory requirement to keep contact details up to date when living in the UK but surely Reserve liabilty is suspended when you inform Glasgow that you have moved overseas?
No, there's no such suspension, at least in my time. If you've still got your copy of 'Bridging the Gap' you can check in Chapter 12 (Second Edition, Code No 63695, but I'm sure yours must be a later version) 'Liability After Leaving the Regular Army', Para 13 - Emigration: ..."This is because your legal liability for service does not cease simply because you are overseas. However, no action is taken to recall individuals except in the case of those in Germany and the Low Countries who are expected to report for duty."

The options were either to inform MS6 at Stanmore (no 'Glasgow') or the DA at the Embassy. It's also in the AB592A and B.

Things may have changed, but at that time there was absolutely no formal suspension just because you were 'overseas' and the commitment was ongoing unless you had it waived for medical reasons, or joined the TA / ADF, etc. Just being 'overseas' made no difference, except in practice only those in the UK, Germany or the Low Countries were ever recalled.
There is no means of enforcing it - UK courts have no jurisdiction.
Yes there is - your Army pension can be stopped!

Latest Threads