Army WO3s and RAF WO1s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should imagine more than a few WO2s have embarrassed by being a dick to RAF Flt Sgts.
There was some 'friction' when purple posts were established which were graded Flt Sgt by the RAF but the army always posted in a WO2 who was, of course, the senior rank.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I should imagine more than a few WO2s have embarrassed by being a dick to RAF Flt Sgts.

Flt Sgt gets promoted. What's his next rank? In Army terms, WO1.

"Get your heels together, shitlips. Now who's laughing?"
1.jpg

...aaah ...but it wasn't "binned". There just aren't any any more.
Correct; I co-authored a staff paper proposing using WO3 in the R Signals again for technically accomplished soldiers who were not going to to PQOs in LIAC or, as was, LISCG. It got as far as 1* before being NFA'd.

I posted this nearly 8 years ago
I'd have thought it was unlikely to be from the days of WO3s as they didn't replace SSgts but supplemented pl / tp comds. I vaguely recall QOH and QDG had an odd variant of Cpl Major or something similar and I think it'd be far more likely to come from that. I'll have a look when it's raining!

Flt Sgt gets promoted. What's his next rank? In Army terms, WO1.

"Get your heels together, shitlips. Now who's laughing?"
If he’s a youngish (relatively speaking) Flt Sgt, the WO2 will probably be retired, pensioned, dead an buried by that point :)

Correct; I co-authored a staff paper proposing using WO3 in the R Signals again for technically accomplished soldiers who were not going to to PQOs in LIAC or, as was, LISCG. It got as far as 1* before being NFA'd.
Wow, thanks for that. I thought (only briefly!) there was a possibility I might have got it wrong!

TBH I only threw it in as a sop to the RAF who don't know their own history and came out with the cr@p about not having WO1s when their history dictates that they do and they just changed the rank title rather than binning the rank.

Very rude to exclude fellow Royal Warrant holders, but there you go :)
Chippy *****! Mind you, I remember when at a particular Signal Regiment based in the North, the WO1s all decided to have a Warrant Officer's top table lunch and not invite the WO2s. This did not go down well with either the 2IC or QM and new invitations were subsequently issued.

My
While looking into RAF 'Warrant Officers' (both 'Warrant Officers' and 'Master Aircrew', both of whom are given Warrants by the SofS for Def so both 'Warrant Officers') I was interested and surprised to note two apparent anomalies - one in the Army and one in the RAF.

The British Army has two warrant Officer Ranks: WO1 and WO2. It also had a WO3 rank briefly from October 1938 until 1939 when the war Office promoted about 1,000 SNCOs to WO3 to command pls and tps, initially in cav and inf, then in some R Sigs units and RA searchlight units. The rank was apparently never officially abolished but selection and promotion was discontinued by ACI 804 in 1940 with those already promoted simply being phased out, so unless that's incorrect (? anybody) the Army still technically has the rank of WO3 even though it can't be used / filled.

According to official and unofficial histories of the RAF, on the other hand, the RAF re-named Sergeant Major 1st Class and Sergeant Major 2nd Class to WO1 and WO2 in 1933 to copy the Army, abolishing and phasing out WO2s in 1939 and re-naming WO1's as "Warrant Officer"s. As this wasn't a change to the rank structure of the RAF, unlike the abolishing of WO2s, and was only a "re-naming" of WO1s to 'Warrant Officers', unless the rank was officially abolished and not just re-named (? anybody, with evidence) the RAF still has WO1s and they've just been re-named 'Warrant Officers' to simplify the rank title.
My father flew for his last three years in the RAF as a Master Pilot.
I asked him about Warrant Ranks and he stated categorically that the holder of a Master rank was a SNCO, not a WO, unless something has changed between 1966 and today.

My

I asked him about Warrant Ranks and he stated categorically that the holder of a Master rank was a SNCO, not a WO, unless something has changed between 1966 and today.
It has. MACR=WO.

An appointment, not a rank.
Very true dingerr, created casually and locally because the number of slots for those elevated above Sgt were all full and the guys had to stay in a Troop, or, so experienced and valuable in a Troop that their O.C wasn't going to let them go.

My

Different system. Sleeves up / sleeves down. Ranks up / ranks down.

Very true dingerr, created casually and locally because the number of slots for those elevated above Sgt were all full and the guys had to stay in a Troop, or, so experienced and valuable in a Troop that their O.C wasn't going to let them go.
Not really, they give an indication of the relevance of the position

WO2(CSM) is a command appointment, WO2(SQMI) Instructor, WO2(SQMS) Staffs Appointment.

There is also seniority within appointments, I believe it is RQMS, SQMS, but not sure after that.

Chippy *****! Mind you, I remember when at a particular Signal Regiment based in the North, the WO1s all decided to have a Warrant Officer's top table lunch and not invite the WO2s. This did not go down well with either the 2IC or QM and new invitations were subsequently issued.
As presiding member in a Garrison mess, we only had room for WOs1. One Bn had 16 Conductors.
The lunch was informal prior to a mess meeting. It forestalled many a faux pas.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd have thought it was unlikely to be from the days of WO3s as they didn't replace SSgts but supplemented pl / tp comds. I vaguely recall QOH and QDG had an odd variant of Cpl Major or something similar and I think it'd be far more likely to come from that. I'll have a look when it's raining!
Cpl Major would be HCav, no Sgts in their rank structure, just loads of Cpls such as LCpl, LCpl of Horse, Cpl, Cpl of Horse, Staff Cpl, Squadron Cpl Major, Regimental Cpl Major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads