Army WO3s and RAF WO1s

A very unlikely scenario though isn't it? Most of the time you would have no reason to interfere with soldiers outside you team
That may be the case in the infantry, but you don’t have to venture far to see different cap badges working together.

Also remember that some ranks could be to do with tech competency, sign offs on documents, increasing pay to add retention and experience

Now that you've deigned to honour the thread with your presence, @Alamo, maybe you could give the answers to those questions you were so insistent should be answered back in the other thread following your claim that "at least we only have one name for each rank" which turned out to be untrue.

I've left out the questions that were never in debate, so to refresh your memory:
I'd suggest that's been done to death already and it isn't "yes or no" as it all depends what you mean by "different ranks". By any known definition (and if you can provide a different definition from any recognised source I'd be happy to be corrected) they are the same rank but different "rank titles" (to use the term used by the RAF in QRs, para 125 (1), page 4-4) since they both have equal status and confer equal authority and either one can be senior to the other depending on seniority of promotion date.
'No'. You're very clearly 'wrong'. Since there may be an argument over English and interpretation, I've used pictures to ensure there can be no such confusion.

Here's a picture of one "Warrant Officer" (well, two, to be pedantic): View attachment 378939

... and here's a picture of another:
View attachment 378941
... and yet another:
View attachment 378944
I haven't been to Specsavers recently, but those do look like two very different badges (and probably three different names / rank titles).

... and here's a picture of one Flight Sergeant, who's aircrew:

View attachment 378936
...and here's a picture of another, who's not aircrew:
View attachment 378938
... again, those do look like different badges for the same rank, in different trades. ... and while I recognise that various sites (and you) differentiate between 'Aircrew' and 'Airmen / Airwomen', QRs for the RAF appears to make no such distinction and "Flight Sergeant" sounds very like "Flight Sergeant".

... and here's another one, although I'm not sure what actual rank (as distinct from name or rank title) these chaps are, although one appears to be a Warrant Officer and one a Flt Sgt or Sgt:
View attachment 378943
..... although this smart chapess is reportedly a Deputy Drum Major with the rank of Sergeant:
View attachment 378945

..... Well, ..... evidently 'no' you're not.

As you would say yourself:
To put it as simply as I can: the RAF only has one name for each rank. If you continue to claim otherwise then show me where. And, no, WO and MACrew are not the same rank.

As for badges, there is only one badge for each rank in the RAF. Aircrew SNCOs have an eagle in theirs to denote their aircrew status; if you believe that constitutes a different badge then that's a level of pedantry I just can't compete with, so well done. The fact remains however, that every FS in the RAF has a crown and three stripes and is called FS, same commonality with sgt, Cpl et al. No branch, trade or unit has a badge that varies, such as 2 stripes and a crown, Lance Sergeant, Cpl of Horse or whatever, the ranks are consistent across the Service.

CASWO has a unique badge of office. Again, if you think that proves a point then well done you, go and see Matron for an extra piece of tuck.

Don't know why you attached pictures of the band service. Their badges of rank are the same as everyone elses.

Last edited:
And, no, WO and MACrew are not the same rank.
If they are not the same rank, then which rank outranks the other rank?

Or to put it another way, if a MAC and an RN WO2 started hitting each other with their handbags, would either of them face a charge of assaulting a superior?

Or to put it another way, if a MAC and an RN WO2 started hitting each other with their handbags, would either of them face a charge of assaulting a superior?
WO and MAcrew are the same grade, seniority is down to the individuals, neither takes precedence over the other. Both are senior to a WO2.

Are Master Aircrew and RAF WOs both OR9?

It appears to be semantics, it appears they are not the same rank, but are equivalent rank.

I guess it’s the same as Flt Sgt and WO2 not being the same rank, but they are equivalent ranks. :plotting:

A very unlikely scenario though isn't it? Most of the time you would have no reason to interfere with soldiers outside you team
That's just it:
most of the time there's no problem, most of the time everyone knows who everyone else is, most of the time there's no fog of war, most of the time no-one dies and needs replacing, etc, etc.

What happens the rest of the time?

I don't know what the issue is its all as clear as mud:

Warrant officers are to take precedence after commissioned officers, but before all other airmen, and, amongst themselves, according to their date of promotion. In this clause the expression "warrant officer" is used in its generic sense, ie, as including airmen of ground trades who hold the rank title of warrant officer and non-commissioned aircrew who hold master aircrew titles. Where a warrant officer is appointed on a station to the post of Station Warrant Officer, he will, by virtue of his appointment be the senior warrant officer on the Station i.a.w. QR 104.

:)

Is it time to bring up WO1(RSM) and WO1(Cdr) yet?

By the way, in general Sappers use 'Q' for lots of WO2's

Q FE
Q Armed
Q Amph
Q Bombs
Q Flags
Q spoons
Q muscles
Q MT or MTWO
Q plant or MPF or mixed fruit pudding
Q Trg or Trg WO

Generally used followed by their surname eg: Q smith for the Trg WO etc.

Most clerks SNCO up are called Chief and sometimes Cpls if they are the senior in the Sqn

Just in case anyone has asked :)

This is the thread for answering questions that no one asked.

To put it as simply as I can: the RAF only has one name for each rank. If you continue to claim otherwise then show me where. And, no, WO and MACrew are not the same rank.
I've tried to simplify things a bit for you:

.... it isn't "yes or no" as it all depends what you mean by "different ranks" ... or by "the same rank" ... or even by "the same" or "different"

These are examples of various definitions of "rank":
"a position in the hierarchy of the armed forces"
"give (someone or something) a rank or place within a grading system"
" a position in an organization, such as the Army, showing the importance of the person having it"
" to be moved up from a low level position in an organization to a higher one
", etc, etc.

These are examples of various definitions of "the same":
corresponding, equivalent, parallel, comparable, similar, correlative, congruent, tallying, agreeing, concordant, identical, alike, duplicate, carbon-copy, twin, paired, coupled, double, indistinguishable, interchangeable

These are examples of various definitions of "different":
dissimilar, unalike, unlike, nonidentical, contrasting, divergent, disparate, poles apart; More
incompatible, mismatched, inconsistent, opposed, at variance, at odds, clashing, conflicting, contradictory, contrary, distinct, separate, individual, discrete, nonidentical, unrelated, unconnected, unassociated, independent;

Maybe you have different definitions, but by most or all of the above they are the same rank but different "rank titles" (to use the term used by the RAF in QRs

para 125 (1), page 4-4) since they both have equal status and confer equal authority and either one can be senior to the other depending on seniority of promotion date.

Maybe you could say exactly what definition you're using of each to reach your conclusion?

I doubt it'll get anywhere, but you never know.
As for badges, there is only one badge for each rank in the RAF.
Well, I did try pictures but maybe they were confusing , so I'll give it another go. I've even only used ground crew this time, not aircrew, so there can't be any confusion over whether an eagle's part of the badge or not or if the ranks are "the same". I've made the questions 'Yes / No' as you did, to make it simpler, and I'm sure you wouldn't want me to treat you any differently.

Question 1
Are these all RAF 'Warrant Officers'?
(Front chap only in the third picture (c).) Yes / No
a.
1550849953093.png

b.
1550849994420.png

c.
1550850021895.png
(Front chap only)

Question 2 (Same three pictures)
Are the rank badges worn by the two in the top picture, the chap in the second, and the front chap in the third (c) the same? Yes / No

Question 3
Are these two rank badges
the same? (I've used close ups for the Drum Major's badges as they're possibly not clear in the other pictures) Yes / No

a.
1550852735758.png

b.
1550852812593.png

Question 4
Are these two rank badges
the same? Yes / No

a.
1550852992865.png

b.
1550852914361.png

Don't know why you attached pictures of the band service. Their badges of rank are the same as everyone elses.
Well, maybe now that I've put close ups the difference may be more clear.

Maybe not.

Attachments

What happens the rest of the time?
There are a million and one scenarios where rank and seniority are utterly irrelevant. Keeping to the theme of the RAF how about a SWO pulling rank on a Technical SNCO over matters he has no knowledge of. Or how about the Chief Clerk overruling an experienced Infantry Pl Sgt in the middle of a firefight?

Latest Threads