Army wives get phone death threats from Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Jun 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/06/25/wirq25.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/06/25/ixnews.html

2. Nice, I don't know why people use mobiles it must be bloody expensive as well as the dangers raised above.

3. My hubby warned me about this a few weeks ago (he is in Iraq at the moment), apparently they have a device that allows them to get numbers from both mobile phones and the Army statellite phones.

4. Another one to add to the list of contradictions.

Fun run.
    Intelligence officer.
    Secure network.

5. What they have is someone who works for the phone company giving/selling them information. When a UK mobile is used abroad, information is stored by the phone company computer that identifies it as a UK mobile, with a UK Sim, phoning a UK number. That information is then being stolen and passed on.

Its not someone using a device or other tin foil hat goings on, its information theft. Happens in this country as well, except your information gets sold to spammers and cold calling companies. Slightly different when a terrorist gets your personal details. Moral of the story is dont use a private mobile phone in Iraq/Afghanistan.

6. Of course with the insecurities of JPA (not run with SSL) a determined insurgent group with the right connections will just be able to pick your home address, next-of-kin, phones number, bank details etc straight out of the ether.

7. J_D

J_D LE

We had our mobiles taken from us before we entered an operational area, even turning on a mobile phone could give away your position. So why do they have their mobiles switched on in an operational area? And why has this only taken effect now and not before? Just asking.

Hope it gets sorted ASAP, failing that, phone companies will be selling alot of sims from now on.

8. I don't believe using a mobile at a site such as Basrah or Shiabah will give away the position!!

I must say I've never used a mobile out in Iraq though because a) its fecking expensive and b) the reception was shite anyway.

I wonder how many lads go out on top cover with their mobile phones on?

9. It makes you wonder just how they are getting the details of the wifes. Just how do they get the phone number with out an address are is some one in the offices in Iraq passing out details, or do they have Iraq working in or around the the offices. It is no good trying to get a telephone number of a person if you don't have an address.

10. Someone a Paradigm is no doubt earning a bit on the side.

11. As i said in my last post. When you use your UK mobile in Iraq/Afghanistan the phone company stores details of your phone - most importantly that it is a UK mobile. Any number phoned by that mobile is likely to be a Brit soldier calling his family/friends. This information is then lifted from the phone company databases and sold/passed on to the insergents. All they have to do is phone the numbers - if people feel they can trust the Iraqi/Afghan phone companies, then go right ahead and use your mobile.

12. What Secure Network? Mobile networks have never ever been secure no matter what the companies say. They are currently only secure enough to deter casual scanning, anyone determined will hear anything that is said. And as previously stated if there is an insider (or a hacker) selling the information that is recorded for billing and routing is being sold even if your PERSEC and OPSEC over the air is good you've still given away contact details by calling the number. Changing SIM cards will not make a difference if you call a fixed network number even if its ex-directory.

Other than a completely British military/government network being setup which doesn't use any part of any civilian network, both fixed and mobile (and just think of the cost of that) what is the solution?

Is it SKYPE or one of the other internet/voice combos? Using IM and email? Failing that going back to pen and paper?

I see Boney beat me to the punch over most of this. Needs must and it cannot be overstated enough over how insecure telephone networks are.

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

But surely the companies involved can chck who has accesed this data? Or maybe they can but dont want to know or care.

14. Perhaps, but it would require a huge increase in provided bandwidth for internet.

I would suggest a different approach to telephone provision. Increase the size of the military network and provide the bandwidth required to handle the telephone links back to UK. Create a telephone account for all deployed personnel, which they access using their army number and a pin code. Then let people make calls from theatre, but only pay for the UK leg of the call.

NATO do this via IVSN, basically if your on exercise etc you can call over the mill network, key in your account number and pin code then the number you want to call and hey presto, you only pay for the call where it leaves the mil network.

I'm sure this would be a more cost effective approach than paying Paradigm a fortune for 20 minutes of calls each a week. I imagine the service would pay for itself.

15. I was thinking along those lines myself and/or using a central switchboard to forward you calls. Obviously using a pre-arranged system so as not to compromise the numbers.

Using an automatic system where you key in the info can still be compromised by a determined evil bugger if you can't guarantee the security of the network.

I don't think enough is done to educate (and basically scare) rank and file (and friends and family) over the use of IT/Comms and the impact on OPSEC/PERSEC. Not sure if this has been addressed in MATT but the only other time I've seen anything close to what is required is during OPTAG when your already numb from the other 87,000 lectures you require.

Edited because me little fat fingers are causing typos and they can't keep up with me mind or even half of it. :oops: