Army website broken link f**k up

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

If you are trying to access a web page on the army's website and you are getting a 404 error - Page Not Found, try putting www2 instead of www in the URL.

Whoever is responsible for this should have already been sacked.

2. I hope they are not on the same team for the TA restructuring 8O
  3. Ahh brilliant work msr, I was trying to get on yesterday ww2 has fixed it!

When using the www2 will the wage page be current?
  4. msr

msr LE

I have no idea, I am afraid.

5. Ok no probs
  6. msr

msr LE

Try clicking the Stumbleupon link.

My they have done us proud.

7. Let me clear this up a bit. For all of your old unit sub-pages, you will for the moment get 404 Page Not Found. You will be able to access all of them (including /ta) by changing www to www2. The web pages should be current, although there are problems accessing the content management system at the moment to update it. This should hopefully be resolved soon.

The new sub-pages were supposed to link to the old pages for the time being, and the entire new website was scheduled to replace the old one in the coming months. We should never have noticed anything had changed.

The pages that you get to through a google search should be updated shortly to link to the old pages, so it should be as though this update to the website never happened.
  8. Could not restrain myself...

Why TF was it not tested before it went live?

Why did they make the change just before a Bank Holiday weekend, when our target audience are most likely to have time to surf the web and look around?

Why is it still broken now, 5 days later?

Why when they found it was broken did they not have a plan to revert to the old system immediately?

Why were we not warned and also involved in the planning?

At least One Army on this means we are all in the same boat! The incompetence makes me want to weep!

and relax...
  9. This is the core of the matter. Pippa Sillitoe (seconded from Central Office of Information) is rolling out a new CMS called Red Dot.

Analysis of the existing Army website showed that most of it was 'looked after' by people who didn't really know what they were doing (in terms of layout etc) and had busy day jobs as well. The net result was an overgrown garden full of out-of-date junk. Compare that to the other two services and we didn't look too good.

The new CMS is much more template driven; all the user has to do is supply the text and squared-off images. So for 95% of the pages out there it will be a huge graphical (though not necessarily content) improvement. For the other 5%, it will be a frustrating step backwards.

No, I don't work for Pippa and yes, I agree about the surreptitious change.
  10. Sounds remarkably like JPA :roll: