Army wanted to provide 6000 troops for Olympic security

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Via FT.Com.

Good thing the Forces are not being cut to the bone, I suppose.
  2. Buy them in in bulk from Airfix?

3. What are the other 12 meant to do? Couldn't they have just asked for everyone?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Dunno about the army but the RN is putting in a good few thousand to do security stuff here there and everywhere for this.
  5. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Sounds like a job for the RLC Saturday and Sunday Speshul Forces to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Someone's got to stag on car parks and hang round outside underground stations telling foreigners where the stadium is. Which is apparently the limit on what the Army will be doing unless you have a really sexy job that the security contractors can't provide.
  7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Why not hire A-Q for the job?

Dane-geld to the likeliest attackers would be both cheaper and safer, while allowing our brave lads and lasses to sit back and enjoy the spear throwing, foot races, leaping, etc, instead of mincing around the place looking menacing.

Edited to Add: Another important thought:
    Dodgy looking bearded blokes roaming around in dish-dashes while toting Kalashnikovs, etc, would also reassure the world of the success of our multi-cultural policies.

(Ministers! You read it here first. And yes, I am available for consulting in all areas of national, foreign and security policy.)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. "Modern" British Infantry? SLR, Gustav....must be the TA ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. soooo...... the 2 million unemployed doing bugger all for thier jobseekers allowance cant do this because ?
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Will they be clad in Osprey with a full weapons load out or just the bog standard riot gear?
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The could be Op SEB-BORIS and be on the same lines as Op TOSCA.

Will they get a medal :)
  12. 6000?

And the rest!!!
  13. I'm sure the Army don't want to.
  14. and the planning conducted by HQ LONDIST, one shudders at the thought.
  15. They'll be in nice straight lines, though!
    • Like Like x 3