Army vs Marines

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Scarfey, Mar 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll rephrase:

I'm at university in my second year, and after going to the careers office upon leaving sixth form, they told me that with my A-levels, if I wanted to join the army, joining as an officer would be the way forward. So I applied, passed my Briefing, and now have my AOSB booked for July. I went on the marines website to get a fitness plan, and spoke with a friend who joined up this year so I could get fit for the army The more I looked at it, the more the marines appealed to me. However, I've gone that far in my army application that it seems like a waste to cancel that and go for the marines at this late stage. I was wondering, if I could keep my place at Sandhurst (should I pass the main board) and pursue the marines if I chose to, or whether applying for the marines would mean I'd have to cancel my army application, and lose my place entirely.

2. Fully explore both options, once you join it will be too late.

3. why did you bother with university then?

4. university is for the retards who want to be "individuals" wasting thousands of pounds of taxpayers money learning "media studies".

5. your choices are very chalk and cheese. learn about both as the mentality of both is something that has to chime with what you personally feel.

Having said that, your inclination towards a need for clear boundaries/direction suggests that a more dynamic, " make the best out of a bad/difficult situation" approach as might be often found in the infantry is not for you.

Also your post was a little tricky to clearly/quickly understand, so speaking a different language that involves nod bombs, goffers, oggin, heads, galley and pusser might suit you down to the ground

6. Thanks. And University, studying English literature, will leave me with a wider choice of careers upon leaving the army. It's more sound planning than anything else. And I was typing quickly as I went out the door, sorry if it didn't make sense!! I'm merely weighing up the pro's and cons of both options at the moment, and was wondering if anyone could offer any help really who is already in the armed forces...

7. So you went to uni to study so you can have a better choice when you leave the forces, seems a bit of a weird reason to go to uni. 22 years in may give you better options when you leave.

8. Surely educated OCdts are not a bad thing. I have no doubt that employers will rate you highly with 22 years of experience behind you. So why not 22 years and a degree? You all seem very eager to make undergrads doubt their University decision.

9. Good luck getting on without doctors/architects/engineers then cnut. If you have jack shit useful to say, then p*ss off.

As for joining the marines, have a good hard think about it, and then decide. Theres no rush, especially as your only in your second year of uni anyway, but don't feel you have gone too far to turn back, you still have your options open to you as much as you did before.

10. Good luck getting on without doctors/architects/engineers then cnut. If you have jack sh*t useful to say, then p*ss off.

As for joining the marines, have a good hard think about it, and then decide. Theres no rush, especially as your only in your second year of uni anyway. Also don't feel you have gone too far to turn back, your options are as open to you now as ever before.

11. shhh! dont let it all out of the bag, I still havent told my boss Im an individualistic, revenue munching, retarded media grad. :D

oh wait, Im not

12. why dont you try continuing down the army route so you dont worry about wasting your application and if and when you do pass, just apply to go on the commando course?

13. pretty simple you numpty....

carry on impoting doctors from africa, india etc

carry on importing german architects

carry on importing the polish to do everything else! use your brain!