Army Veterans Facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

Mike Barton

War Hero
My theory is that you do not have any evidence that a para shot Mckerr. Yet you stated it like it was a fact.
Right I'll concede that McKerr might not have been shot by a Para, he might well have been and there is a fair chance that he was but it's not certain, so that makes the Ballymurphy killings ok then.

Glad we've sorted that out.

The Paras only shot a 49yo mother of eight who was manning a Bren gun apparently and a priest giving assistance to a dying man, and half a dozen other Fenian civilians, and followed it up with an encore of a baker's dozen of Fenian civilians in Derry six months later.

But McKerr, we can't be 100 percent certain about him.

The Paras are officially off the hook, phew, it was close there for a while.

The ghost of Costas Giorgiou can rest easy, the stainless reputation of the Paras in the early 70s has been vindicated.

Right I'll concede that McKerr might not have been shot by a Para, he might well have been and there is a fair chance that he was but it's not certain, so that makes the Ballymurphy killings ok then.

The Paras only shot a 49yo mother of eight who was manning a Bren gun apparently and a priest giving assistance to a dying man, and half a dozen other Fenian civilians, and followed it up with an encore of a baker's dozen of Fenian civilians in Derry six months later.

The ghost of Costas Giorgiou can rest easy, the stainless reputation of the Paras in the early 70s has been vindicated.
Cool, so you were wrong. It might have saved some time if you had just admitted that at the start.

Jesus flaming Kerrist.
It is a man in the dock, not the whole Para Regt.
The British Army is built on people, 'the good, the bad and the indifferent. And that is just one of them'.
Vetinari in The Truth.

What is "revisionary bullshit" about the facts I stated?

Is it "revisionary" that John McKerr lost his hand fighting for King and country? (By the way you aren't actually suggesting that he was a Provo are you, if not what is the relevance of the Brendan Hughes remark?)

Is it "bullshit" that the Paras lied about him being armed and working at an IRA funeral after they gunned him down on the steps of his own church?

But he was a Fenian right, so his life doesn't count. It's not like he was a proper first-class citizen of Wee Ulster, is it?

Tell me, if the Provos shot an unarmed former British soldier, war hero and father of eight dead would you be waving a "We Stand With Provo F" flag? No I didn't think so, why don't you go away for a while and think about why those double standards apply in your head.
That is a truly weird (mis)interpretation of his post

Wise up, the only reason the Prods are chuntering about this one is they feel they can stick it to the Catholics.

Prods do not give a stuff about the Army or the Police and are as ready as Republicans to shoot and kill security forces when it suits them.
Your second para - as stupid as anything you have posted on here; and that is a high bar indeed

Mike Barton

War Hero
That is a truly weird (mis)interpretation of his post
You do realise that the men of your mother's regiment refused to serve alongside the Parachute Regiment after they killed two men on the Shankill later in 1972?

Having maxed out their quota of Fenian civilians to massacre the Paras decided to start slotting Prod civilians.

Protestants slain by rogue Para unit deserve justice too - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

The "psychopaths" who "revelled" in killing (not my words, the testimony on oath of a former corporal in the British Army) of the Parachute Regiment sickened even the UDR, and that takes some doing.

'Psychopathic' paras revelled in killing innocents in Ballymurphy Massacre, ex-soldier tells inquest - Independent.ie

And yet you still wave your little "We Stand With Soldier F" flags. Contemptible doesn't even come close to describing it.

You do realise that the men of your mother's regiment refused to serve alongside the Parachute Regiment after they killed two men on the Shankill later in 1972?

Having maxed out their quota of Fenian civilians to massacre the Paras decided to start slotting Prod civilians.

Protestants slain by rogue Para unit deserve justice too - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

The "psychopaths" who "revelled" in killing (not my words, the testimony on oath of a former corporal in the British Army) of the Parachute Regiment sickened even the UDR, and that takes some doing.

'Psychopathic' paras revelled in killing innocents in Ballymurphy Massacre, ex-soldier tells inquest - Independent.ie

And yet you still wave your little "We Stand With Soldier F" flags. Contemptible doesn't even come close to describing it.
And I'll still stand behind him waving my wee fleg... Shit happened during the troubles.. time to move on old chap.

Mike Barton

War Hero
And I'll still stand behind him waving my wee fleg... Shit happened during the troubles.. time to move on old chap.
You'll wave your flags as you demand we move on?

You don't see the contradiction there, do you?

Oh, just for the record, does this "moving on" include moving on from 1690? Because there's a few other flag-waving chaps in Ulster who haven't got the memo.

I see there is some press reporting of the inquest. I don't know whether this possibility was raised, but reading between the lines, one wonders whether the soldier involved in this tragic shooting [edit: if it was a soldier] might have opened fire believing Mr McKerr's prosthetic in place of his right hand to be a pistol, this being during a period of violent activity in Ballymurphy immediately following Motorman. IF that was the case it almost beggars belief that a wound received while serving in the RE during WW2 could have such a longterm tragic result.
I think you might be confusing two different incidents by virtue of your reference to 'Motorman' which took place in 1972 - almost a year after the post-interment killimgs of Aug 71. Mr McTeer was killed on 11 Aug 71. It is a common confusion with the Springhill shootings of July 72 in which 'Corrys Wood yard' was a prominant feature. Even the initial Loyalist attempt to 'assist' the Ballymurphy Inquest made the same mistake when they offered the identity of one of their snipers as having been involved in the '71 shootings - turns out he was in fact involved in the 72 incident............so the Loyalists then came up with another name.

Stupid but the truth
You may have missed this but there used to be quite a lot of complaining here about the fact that too many of the Police and the Army were 'Prods'.

As has already been pointed out to you, NI has the largest proportion of people joining the forces of anywhere in the UK and the highest percentage of veterans of any part of the UK. The bulk of them come from the Unionist community.

You may have missed this but there used to be quite a lot of complaining here about the fact that too many of the Police and the Army were 'Prods'.

As has already been pointed out to you, NI has the largest proportion of people joining the forces of anywhere in the UK and the highest percentage of veterans of any part of the UK. The bulk of them come from the Unionist community.
And there is more than just a little evidence that more than a few were involved in terrorist activity, many others merely supported while down the pub.

It's a sad fact that the Unionist state is still based on the supression of the minority and even the truly law abiding and rational bear some responsibility for that

Oh, just for the record, does this "moving on" include moving on from 1690? Because there's a few other flag-waving chaps in Ulster who haven't got the memo.
In fairness they have moved on.....a bit. The 'Boyne' has morphed into the 'Somme' and it only took c. 300 years. And look at the English......it took much longer to get from 1066 to 1966.

And there is more than just a little evidence that more than a few were involved in terrorist activity, many others merely supported while down the pub.

It's a sad fact that the Unionist state is still based on the supression of the minority and even the truly law abiding and rational bear some responsibility for that
Ah, so you are a bigot. You should just have said that from the start. It would have saved anyone from thinking you had an opinion worth reading.

So now you can't fly a flag in NI or your condemned as a backwards thinking bigot?

People are fully entitled to remember the events of 1690.. just as we are the events of 1st July 1916.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Elderly soldiers put on show trials , poor army recruiting figures . Perhaps clever people can spot the connection I may have missed
One hopes that when soldiers are contacted by the police they remember that No Comment is often helpful . An entire platoon or even rifle section of trappiest monks are hard to question , remember, the people questioning you are hoping to win promotion for what they are doing to you.

ugly

LE
You appear to have a missed a bit, again.

For those not following the inquest Corry's Timber Yard is where the UVF have claimed they were firing from, multiple civilian, police and military witnesses have confirmed there was shooting coming from the yard.
Corrys was often used for lurks and was often an arson target during riots.

ugly

LE
I think its more likely he was shot by Loyalists - who have admitted to being their - admitted to firing and him being Catholic / in a Catholic area is reason enough for them.

You have a Witness who notes a soldier nearby , but also suspicious of the wood yard. Yes he says the Soldier was pointing the rifle at them - but that may not be the case - it simply owing to angles etc appeared to him to be the case.

You have another witness who quite frankly undermines the case against the army - because her Testimony is to be frank absolute bollox
Werent many protestants in Corpus Christ when I worked nearby

Latest Threads