Army Veterans Facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

Dunno, I'd have thought that my having at least a basic understanding of the difference between right and wrong would be an advantage, seeing as you seem to struggle with it yourself?
Then you fundamentally misunderstand the law.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
one of the wheelchair bound lads in his late 70s is expecting to be charged with murder as a chip of concrete from a wall where a round hit then hit the back of someone who died a number of years later.

I speed read the article, so I may have not quite got it factually correct, but its close enough.

I'm completely staggered
That’s a bit of a stretch, who was the shooter MacGyver?

Care to name some of these great injustices. It's just that soldier F wasn't the only one there that day, yet they have not been charged.
What's your opinion on justice for any innocent people killed?
Apologies for late response. I just noticed these comments - having been hospital at he time. I spoke recently to a 'learned friend' who informed me that the only reason there were not more members of 1 para being charged was because the pps has ruled their original 1972 statements to the RMP as inadmissable because they had not been provided with legal advice before making their statements.

Apologies for late response. I just noticed these comments - having been hospital at he time. I spoke recently to a 'learned friend' who informed me that the only reason there were not more members of 1 para being charged was because the pps has ruled their original 1972 statements to the RMP as inadmissable because they had not been provided with legal advice before making their statements.
RMP at the very top of their best game . . . :wink:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

and so it begins
I like the title of the write up at the bottom of the piece entitled-Soldier F's victims.....
How can they be his victims if nothing has been proven, what a pile of biased shîte.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
And because any others are now dead !

Soldier F did get legal advice then?

Soldier F did get legal advice then?
......or he compromised himself at some later point, or new evidence from other sources......no idea really and I have no knowledge of the man. Whether culpable or not, he didn't act alone. There was a litany of spurious inputs and comcon failures cited in the enquiry that could have influenced the behaviour of those on the ground - and although there remains no justification for the killings, there may well be mitigating factors that we do not yet fully understand.

One such issue concerns the mindset of 1 Para who deployed to Derry less than 48 hrs after PIRA had successfully infiltrated their base at Holywood and set off a bomb - no injuries, but a challenge perhaps, to the battalion's professional integrity? What they didn't know at that point was that the incident was facilitated by one of their own (Pete 'the para' McMullen).

In another, the CLF (Robert Ford) had actually suggested, in a written note I think) that in order to quell the disturbances in the city, it might be necessary to shoot the ringleaders of what he called 'the Derry Young Hooligans' - informal commentry that, nonetheless, has a tendency to filter down through informal networks.

Justice is, or should be, multidimentional. BS should never have happened and everyone involved has waited far too long for closure - especially those we were supposed to protect (regardless of their politics).

Of whom tell me more, pray.
My notes are at home, but from recall I think McMullan had been in the RAF, transferred or re-enlisted in the ACC, did a para course at some point and in 71-2 was ACC attached 1 Para at Palace Barracks. Around 28 Jan 72 he was seen exiting the base in the company of a known member of PIRA and later a bomb detonated in the barracks and another was found and defused. McMullan did not return but appeared later at a provo press conference in Dublin.

He was subsequently found to have produced sketch maps of other Army bases in the UK as part of pira plans to attack these. A whole file was eventually released by the national archives - it's title is 'Pete the Para', I think I have mentioned it elsewhere, But will post parts of it again in a day or two.

syrup

LE
......or he compromised himself at some later point, or new evidence from other sources......no idea really and I have no knowledge of the man. Whether culpable or not, he didn't act alone. There was a litany of spurious inputs and comcon failures cited in the enquiry that could have influenced the behaviour of those on the ground - and although there remains no justification for the killings, there may well be mitigating factors that we do not yet fully understand.

One such issue concerns the mindset of 1 Para who deployed to Derry less than 48 hrs after PIRA had successfully infiltrated their base at Holywood and set off a bomb - no injuries, but a challenge perhaps, to the battalion's professional integrity? What they didn't know at that point was that the incident was facilitated by one of their own (Pete 'the para' McMullen).

In another, the CLF (Robert Ford) had actually suggested, in a written note I think) that in order to quell the disturbances in the city, it might be necessary to shoot the ringleaders of what he called 'the Derry Young Hooligans' - informal commentry that, nonetheless, has a tendency to filter down through informal networks.

Justice is, or should be, multidimentional. BS should never have happened and everyone involved has waited far too long for closure - especially those we were supposed to protect (regardless of their politics).

Didn't the C.O. of another Regiment call them Hooligans in Uniform and suggested they were unsuitable for N.I. duties due to the fact they had handed out a good slapping to a few marchers at another parade

Didn't the C.O. of another Regiment call them Hooligans in Uniform and suggested they were unsuitable for N.I. duties due to the fact they had handed out a good slapping to a few marchers at another parade
CO 2RGJ after a combined 2RGJ/Para incident at Magilligan, I think just before BS. John Hume MP was one of those 'slapped around' after they were prevented from marching up a beach. ETA 'they' were a NICRA group. For clarity, NICRA were neither Republican nor sectarian, though they did draw the majority of their support from the Nationalist community.

Last edited:
What they didn't know at that point was that the incident was facilitated by one of their own (Pete 'the para' McMullen).
The same tw@t that did 38 Engr Regt at Ripon in 74..

John Hume MP was one of those 'slapped around' after they were prevented from marching up a beach. ETA 'they' were a NICRA group. For clarity, NICRA were neither Republican nor sectarian, though they did draw the majority of their support from the Nationalist
There's footage in Episode 1 of the current BBC TV series, Spotlight. Watch on iPlayer.

I believe you are indeed correct.......though in labelling the guy a 'twat' I feel you are being overly generous.
I remember the mess it made, and it was only down to poor choice of timing device that the one device that was planted in accommodation didn't initially go off.

It should have detonated, causing the alarm to be sounded, and result in the Regiment forming up on the drill square in front of the Squadron Offices at the edge. That in itself was intended to cause injuries/loss of life. Upon the lads forming up on the Square, two more bombs were designed to go off, to blast the assembled ranks.

Without posting too much detail, one bomb went off harmlessly (out of sequence/timing), and alerted the barracks, and the form up point was changed. Another detonated shortly after that, again harmlessly. One went off at the back of the NAAFI, set amongst the beer-kegs, and made a good mess of the building. The accommodation block bomb only detonated when being dragged from it's discovered position, resulting in damaging the front of the (now empty) block wall/frontage.

The only person hurt was the NAAFI manageress who was cut by flying debris..

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As an aside, a revered statesman/cowardly murdering terrorist mentioned some time back that "they (we) haven't gone away you know."

As they're still up to their old tricks he's proven correct.
Well he would be, what with being/having been in charge.

Last edited:

Latest Threads