Army Veterans Facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She has Bangladeshi citizenship. Not stateless.
She is eligible to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship. Revoking her citizenship on these grounds is at least controversial and possibly illegal. It's right that she's able to challenge a government decison like that in court.

Personally I think it's a godawful decision by David because it sets a precedent for a Corbyn government to be able to remove citizenship from any Jewish citizen they see fit, given that all would be eligible for Israeli citizenship. That's a political issue though. She should get legal aid on the grounds that the government needs to comply with the law and should be open to challenge in the courts.

She is eligible to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship. Revoking her citizenship on these grounds is at least controversial and possibly illegal. It's right that she's able to challenge a government decison like that in court.

Personally I think it's a godawful decision by David because it sets a precedent for a Corbyn government to be able to remove citizenship from any Jewish citizen they see fit, given that all would be eligible for Israeli citizenship. That's a political issue though. She should get legal aid on the grounds that the government needs to comply with the law and should be open to challenge in the courts.
If Corbyn got in he wouldn't need a precedent if that is what he wanted to do.

It would have been cheaper just to leave her where she was, as is.

Just tell her she'd have to make her own way back.

Eventually she'd arrive and then we could hail her for leaving the country illegally, joining isis etc and ship her to some newly created prison just off rockall.

maybe these offshore wind turbines could have a couple of cells installed.

not powered, natch.

This isn't legally true unless you recognise the Caliphate as a state.
There’s lots of smoke and mirrors. Where people have stated that you can’t make someone stateless under international law is incorrect, it’s not binding, it’s to be aspired to and I think, occasionally there are exceptions.

Ethnic cleansing, then?

No doubt the response would be, “The Jews aren’t a race.”

Which, of course, would be semantics.

Personally I think it's a godawful decision by David because it sets a precedent for a Corbyn government to be able to remove citizenship from any Jewish citizen they see fit, given that all would be eligible for Israeli citizenship.
If someone in power hates the Jews that much they aren't going to worry to much if there is a precedent or not.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Where people have stated that you can’t make someone stateless under international law is incorrect, it’s not binding,
No international law is binding. However, if you want other states to obey the rules then you generally need to obey them yourself. Other states may also stop engaging with you positively if you breach international law.

No international law is binding. However, if you want other states to obey the rules then you generally need to obey them yourself. Other states may also stop engaging with you positively if you breach international law.
I appreciate that, but there are exceptions to every rule and as every state’s first consideration should be the protection of itself and its citizens, I can’t see many others having too much problem with it.

She's had Bangladeshi citizenship from birth, given that her parents are Bangladeshi. That's how it works. If she wants to go home, that's her home.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I appreciate that, but there are exceptions to every rule and as every state’s first consideration should be the protection of itself and its citizens, I can’t see many others having too much problem with it.
Possibly fair, although it turns out I was wrong. It transpires that making someone state-less is illegal under both international and British law. A conversation with a lawyer friend today informs me that the British Nationality Act 1981, which is binding on the government, applies.

You know what dingerr? Clearly my posts get on your tits, I try to be civil and you just come across as someone with a big chip on each shoulder. Why don't you do both yourself and me a favour and just ignore me, eh?
You know what Mike Barton, you need to gain a bit of respect. If anybody would know about EOD, then i’ll Take dingers word for it, rather than a fat lipped nobody.
Besides have you got a road named after you? No I thought not

Last edited:
Oh my I have woken up another *********.

What if it turns out that Soldier F was a murdering psychopath who disgraced the Army and who by his actions set in place a train of events which cost hundreds of people their lives?

Begun on the other hand is a British citizen convicted of no crime whatsoever.
Yet
Apparently on top of membership/supporting a bunch of peace living nutters, she went round with an AK encouraging other black bin-liner devotees to cover up, as well as sewed other devotees into their Sunday best.
Do keep up darling.

she voluntarily gave up citizenship.

burning your (or your sister's) passport and pledging loyalty to the caliphate, whilst disavowing previous nationality(s) is sort of a party that is carried on arrival in daesh territory.

Sweet tea, sugar and big piles of fire wood available. Dress code casual, burkha and gloves for women. Let us party like it's 1366.
What’s all this rubbish about having no citizenship? She is a citizen of HMS Leaky old tub, which will mysteriously sink on its way back to the U.K.

Yet
Apparently on top of membership/supporting a bunch of peace living nutters, she went round with an AK encouraging other black bin-liner devotees to cover up, as well as sewed other devotees into their Sunday best.
Do keep up darling.
Have you got a link to that?

Latest Threads