Army Veterans Facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

Jesus, people, this is a good thread. Could you please take your one-on-one spats to PM, or elsewhere?

That seems to be something of an urban myth that gathered currency later on, even if there was some of that sentiment about the place.

It was discussed at length on ARRSE some time ago, and IIRC, the words are:
(a) Apocryphal​
(b) Attributed to a Clergyman​
(c) Allegedly common/widespread graffiti in Catholic areas, yet cannot be found in photos taken at the time.​
The internet says it (I Ran Away) was possibly graffiti on the Falls Road and was promptly painted out.

I previously heard of it in reference to de Valera, (when he led the anti-treaty faction of the IRA opposing the Free State official faction) ordering them to dump their arms in 1923, ending the Irish civil war and abandoning the NI Catholics to the Unionist Stormont government. The graffiti may have been resurrected in the early 1970s, people have long memories in those parts.

The internet says it (I Ran Away) was possibly graffiti on the Falls Road and was promptly painted out.

I previously heard of it in reference to de Valera, (when he led the anti-treaty faction of the IRA opposing the Free State official faction) ordering them to dump their arms in 1923, ending the Irish civil war and abandoning the NI Catholics to the Unionist Stormont government. The graffiti may have been resurrected in the early 1970s, people have long memories in those parts.
The IRA were around between 1923 and 1969 you know, there were a number of bombing campaigns

The IRA were around between 1923 and 1969 you know, there were a number of bombing campaigns
I do know, maybe I just didn't phrase it very well. I read something about the 'I ran away' graffiti regarding the 1923 ceasefire and 'dump arms' order. There seems to have been splitters who disagreed with that kept their weapons for later use.

Yes, seriously. This isn't the place for flippancy or @John_G type pomposity or hysteria. I would like to know, please, the dates and locations where:

in 1969 only one side was burning down their neighbours' houses, while the police looked on, or raked the people whose homes were being attacked with fire from Browning-mounted Shorlands.

It's a straightforward and genuine question. Where did the Police look on, or rake residents with fire from Brownings [on their armoured vehicles] ? I have always been a never-served civilian and don't, therefore, have your depth of knowledge. Thank you.
My apologies for my tone, I was slightly exasperated at being continually accused of making up stuff that is in fact fully laid out in historical record that I didn't take the time to answer your question properly.

The Shorland was built in Belfast (its name was a combination of Shorts and Harland & Wolff, the two big industrial companies that built it in a joint venture), they were purchased by the RUC and were presumably supposed to be used on the border. Some idiot thought it would be a good idea to deploy them in a built up urban environment by barely trained policemen who thought they were the last line of Protestant Ulster's defence against a Popish uprising, to horrendous effect.

According to the Sunday Times Insight team the police in Hastings Street (I may be wrong) station thought they were coming under attack and fired off a few high velocity rounds, the peelers in the Shorland heard these and concluded they were under attack from the Divis flats (there may well have been shooting from the roof of the flats, see my post about Trooper McCabe above) and raked the front of the flats with 303 fire, blowing the head of a 9yo boy sleeping in his bed (see video posted by Kinch above).

Again I am sorry for my snarky tone, it just surprised me that people are still in any doubt about the veracity of what happened in Belfast on the nights of Aug 14/15 1969. Actually what happened in Belfast those nights was the sort of thing that happened in Belfast almost every other decade for the previous century (Orange mobs inflamed by Lambegs and the fear of uppity Fenians launch attacks on Catholic streets while the police either assist them or do little to restrain them) it's just that this time there were TV cameras to record it.

Latest Threads