Army Veterans Facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

Unbelievable.

Well, lets hope that the government won't need the Army to cope with any Brexit-related civil uprising - they might find that the troops are on the other side of the barricades...
one of the wheelchair bound lads in his late 70s is expecting to be charged with murder as a chip of concrete from a wall where a round hit then hit the back of someone who died a number of years later.

I speed read the article, so I may have not quite got it factually correct, but its close enough.

I'm completely staggered

Hold on, didn't we take a sh!t load of casualties there that seem to have been forgotten?
Or is it that organic material that wears any sort of British Army uniform and follows the orders of the "government of the day" don't really count for fheck all?

I am becoming more disillusioned with our "political elite" by the day.

as far as I am concerned, every crawling infestation of the HoC is at same as the sainted "Tone" of Blair.
And should be adorning the lampposts around Westminster at the end of ropes.

one of the wheelchair bound lads in his late 70s is expecting to be charged with murder as a chip of concrete from a wall where a round hit then hit the back of someone who died a number of years later.

I speed read the article, so I may have not quite got it factually correct, but its close enough.

I'm completely staggered
Whilst the whole notion of charging and putting soldiers on trial for doing their duty is abhorrent, your man there could not be charged with murder unless the chip of concrete was pre-meditated. Manslaughter perhaps but that particular story sounds a bit Daily Mail.

Shooting a wall is not the same as shooting a person with the intent to kill that person.

Army veterans facing murder charges over Bloody Sunday within two weeks

This isnt going to go down well. Apologies if its a duplicate post/thread
Armed Forces: Northern Ireland:Written question - 60649 - James Brokenshire:
The existing mechanisms for investigating incidents which occurred during the Troubles are disproportionately focused on the actions of the Armed Forces and former police officers, rather than the terrorists who were responsible for 90 per cent of deaths.
A lot of money has been poured into this witch hunt. As an aside: Court rules Downey can be extradited to NI. Downey was iirc accused of two Enniskillen murders in 1972. And the 1982 Hyde Park bombing, but he got off for some reason.

Meanwhile, IRA shite bags that murdered British squaddies walk free and happy, released due to peace agreements. If there is to be peace agreements then it needs to go two ways. Draw a line under all the shite that happened and move on.
And they wonder why they have a problem with recruitment and retention. They want to send you to shite holes where you are shot at, spat at, bricks thrown at you, be told your mother is a c*nt etc etc, yet when you use any force, you’re the villain.
Same old story, it’ll never change.

Meanwhile, IRA shite bags that murdered British squaddies walk free and happy, released due to peace agreements. If there is to be peace agreements then it needs to go two ways. Draw a line under all the shite that happened and move on.
And they wonder why they have a problem with recruitment and retention. They want to send you to shite holes where you are shot at, spat at, bricks thrown at you, be told your mother is a c*nt etc etc, yet when you use any force, you’re the villain.
Same old story, it’ll never change.
These prosecutions raise the game a bit. It is yet another example of the last debacle re Iraq.

Some bad lads in WW1 and 2 as well, so why stop at NI in the 70s?

What an utter joke. I'm glad I'm not a youngster. I'd be handing the bang stick back and asking for a cap gun in case anyone bad lads got hurt

Does your government have nothing better to do??
Brexit is bad enough, but this is a bit of a kick to the nuts. I can't see this doing much for the British Army besides opening up Pandora's box.

You might as well apply for political asylum now.

Whilst the whole notion of charging and putting soldiers on trial for doing their duty is abhorrent, your man there could not be charged with murder unless the chip of concrete was pre-meditated. Manslaughter perhaps but that particular story sounds a bit Daily Mail.
Exactly right.

The doctrine of mens rea is a fundamental tenet of criminal law.

Exactly right.

The doctrine of mens rea is a fundamental tenet of criminal law.
It’s when you get a parasite of a legal arguing that the round was originally aimed at the person who was hit by the shrapnel, and asks the firer to explain what they were actually aiming at (almost 50 years later) that we have a problem

Hold on, didn't we take a sh!t load of casualties there that seem to have been forgotten?
Or is it that organic material that wears any sort of British Army uniform and follows the orders of the "government of the day" don't really count for fheck all?

I am becoming more disillusioned with our "political elite" by the day.

as far as I am concerned, every crawling infestation of the HoC is at same as the sainted "Tone" of Blair.
And should be adorning the lampposts around Westminster at the end of ropes.
I'm continually disappointed that Hung Parliaments never turn out in the way one expects when one hears about the term.

It’s when you get a parasite of a legal arguing that the round was originally aimed at the person who was hit by the shrapnel, and asks the firer to explain what they were actually aiming at (almost 50 years later) that we have a problem
....which would be a legitimate avenue of inquiry, but only for a civil case.

All the hallmarks of a pointless, hugely expensive and distressing exercise that will ultimately do nothing more than tick political boxes, justify functions and further careers (which arguably should not even exist in current form) and enrich lawyers.

All over again.

In terms of potential for PR Disasters, it's huge.