Army veteran - £27k NHS Bill

I was under the impression that foreigners who served in the British Army were entitled to UK Citizenship after completion of 6 years service.

However, I do accept that things might have changed since I left.

ETA.

It would be nice to see either the MOD or 1 pf the Forces Charities stepping in to clear his bill.

He should self-identify as a Nigerian woman. he'll be let off the debt within hours.

My understanding is after 5 years UK residency, you can apply for British Naturalisation at a cost of around £1000-£1300, but without it, upon discharge, you do not have automatic, Indefinite Leave to Remain and thereafter, cannot take-up employment in UK.

The Home Office, I would hope, would/should have made the individual aware.

If, however he has being paying income tax & national insurance contributions after discharge, then possibly he has a valid case without the need for charities to step in.

This story doesn't make sense. Access to normal NHS services is not dependent on holding a British passport or paying tax and NI.

You have to demonstrate to the NHS a permanent home address (council tax bill and utilities). Occasionall, dependents of FCO and military personnel encounter this if they return from far flung posts. Normally a letter from the Embassy or HELIX sorts it out. But loads of wrinkled old bats living in Spain or Cyprus fall foul of this when they return to the UK for operations and expect them to be free.

Yep, and they had all the time that they were in the mob to apply for it .
Would this be the same "mob" that used o discharge people under PAP10 months before they were entitled to a pension.

You'll forgive me if I'm suspicious about how much they were "told".

It’s common, readily available, knowledge that everyone knows about. I had guys in my Company asking for advice about the process back in 2010, because they knew 6 or 7 years before their discharge dates, that they would have to pay for Indefinite Leave to Remain, visas or citizenship tests.
Unfortunately this quote sums it up nicely ““As I had served for 10 years, I expected that I would be able to remain in the UK after being discharged”.
Guys took out loans or credit cards to pay for theirs, because they knew not to expect bugger all

Why hasn’t the Fijian community started a GoFundMe appeal to help pay?

This story doesn't make sense. Access to normal NHS services is not dependent on holding a British passport or paying tax and NI.

You have to demonstrate to the NHS a permanent home address (council tax bill and utilities). Occasionall, dependents of FCO and military personnel encounter this if they return from far flung posts. Normally a letter from the Embassy or HELIX sorts it out. But loads of wrinkled old bats living in Spain or Cyprus fall foul of this when they return to the UK for operations and expect them to be free.
Exactly.
I think it quite possible that he knows that he won't have to pay assuming he can demonstrate that he has not been living abroad for the last five years, and (a): he's in this residency predicament because he put his admin on leaving onto the back burner, hoping it would go away. and (b) he is being used a 'poster boy' for an organisation with an agenda.

Being as that I didn’t actually care, I didn’t see that. Thank you for pointing it out though
I only found it as I was reading some of the frothing on LinkedIn.

Yes, I find that odd as well. NHS treatment is residence based so, if he is resident in UK, he should get NHS treatment. If it were based on tax and NI then expats living outside UK would be able to access the NHS.
(Oh, except for the "wrinkled old bats". Pensioners with an S1 still get free NHS in UK regardless of their residency).

That is what I was thinking. If he has been paying Income Tax and NI payments from his wages, he’s entitled.

Speaking as an outsider, and based solely on the contents of the media report at the OP's link, this gentleman simply failed to attend to the bureaucratic requirements for formalizing his status as a UK resident. While the fees for doing so quoted in the article are not cheap, neither are they impossibly expensive. He had employment, so what was stopping him?

Ahem

£848 raised as at 08.30 today. Not exactly in Colonel Tom's league!

There is a big Fijian community in the UK, I'm surprised this isn't higher, but they will have spent all there money on booze by this time of the month.

It’s common, readily available, knowledge that everyone knows about. I had guys in my Company asking for advice about the process back in 2010, because they knew 6 or 7 years before their discharge dates, that they would have to pay for Indefinite Leave to Remain, visas or citizenship tests.
Unfortunately this quote sums it up nicely ““As I had served for 10 years, I expected that I would be able to remain in the UK after being discharged”.
Guys took out loans or credit cards to pay for theirs, because they knew not to expect bugger all
True, but it does raise a couple of issues.

Whilst individuals can claim not to have been aware of their immigration status upon discharge, regardless of affordability, I'd have hoped that the Army admin machine would have routinely required their employees to sign for their briefing on this issue.

The second issue is the Home Office/government element with regard ILR, which I believe the Gurkahs have already addressed. Possibly this is a test case for Commonwealth service-personnel and possibly this is why it's in the press as a preamble.

Ultimately, if this guy had returned to Fiji upon discharge and fallen ill during a visit to UK, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Latest Threads