Army vet works with all manner of livestock in Helmand

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by MoD_RSS, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. "He had come seeking compensation for his loss from the Military Stabilisation Support Team representative - worth up to $150 for a sheep. However, on examining the sheep's carcass, which had been carried in on the back of a very patient donkey, the diagnosis was clear.

"Rather than suffering a fatal reaction, of which there was no evidence on the body, to the extremely safe worming product that had been administered, the more probable cause of death was loss of blood as a result of a deep incision to the throat."

Is a sheep worth $150?

3. Can we have a photo please, ideally of Captain Joanna Lowe up to her elbow in some sort of quadruped ?

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As a comparison to here in the UK (well Scotland):Farming Record price for ewe lambs at Lairg - Herald Scotland | Business | Corporate & SME

Average price tends to be around £64 at the mart above, but prices do fluctuate. There's been a couple of marts in the NE where you're getting lambs for about £30/40

Lamb prices lower at market - Herald Scotland | Business | Corporate & SME

Prices at the above show between £50-£100+ for yows depending on breed.

Tups obviously going for a lot more.

5. Of course there was wear and tear on the donkey used to transport the sheep carcass to be taken into consideration too....

6. Yes, if you want a pretty one.

7. I've a notion there will be a lot of dead sheep.

8. [​IMG]

9. An excellent way to approach hearts and minds - such veterinary services for working animals/productive live stock will improve the lives of locals immeasurably, who would then associate this with modern science and progressive cultures.

Shame this is done at security check points rather than visiting the remoter souks with a mobile clinic - for both humans and animals. But then we need the security.... difficult I know.

More of these carrots, less stick me thinks.

10. Well a goat was $100+ last year so quite possibly

11. Go Jo Lowe! Fix them goats!