Army v Civi televised hillclimbs in the 50s

As a kid in the late 50s and early 60s, i seem to remember an annual Army v Civilian hillclimb. Black and white, saturday afternoon, and thrilling for a young kid.

Anyone remember it, or have any details?

Or is my aging memory failing....?

As a kid in the late 50s and early 60s, i seem to remember an annual Army v Civilian hillclimb. Black and white, saturday afternoon, and thrilling for a young kid.

Any one remember it, or have any details?

Or is my aging memory failing....?
No, you are not going doolally Mr Buttplug , Iwas a kid growing up in the 60's as well and it used to be on Grandstand on a sat afternoon with Frank Bough . I seem to remember various army vehicles such as the Stally and the Austin champ also an RL Bedford splashing about in the mud and sh1t . Only reason I watched Grandstand apart from the footy results at 5 pm.

I remember this too. I always thought a Army had an advantage until that little (I think) Austrian truck appeared.

The Halflinger ? (spelling).
Didn't Raymond Baxter commentate on the Christmas Special ?
Fascinating for a young army barmy lad.

john

I think I have finally found my rightful place on ARRSE - over the years whenever I have mentioned this people have looked at me as though I was mad! Many an afternoon I watched this whilst waiting to write down the football results so Dad could check the pools coupon!

Does anyone remember the motor cycle hill climb - I think Eurosport ran it but it might have been RTL - which was held on a hill in Austria that went up exponentially to near vertical?