Army Urban Myths...

feu_de_joie

War Hero
19787? Hat was when Wintex? Winter Sales coincided with freezing rain and a week long period when cars on the 4 ADSR square were covered in an inch thick ice coating.
1987 would be right, I remember having to smash the ice to get into my car to drive home. There was a dip on the road between Herford and Bad Salfzuflan and when I arrived there the bottom was a mess of cars unable to drive up either way. Vorsprung durch Teknik, the Audi Quattro made its way through

i doubt this very much , in 1976 all the building societies were still mutually owned , ie by the customers, there is absolutely no way at all that your officer could've been the 'heir' to any building society.
Possibly from one of several wealthy families that, as a philanthropic action, provided the funds to set up a local Building Society and just happened to share the name of the town the society was named after.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Possibly from one of several wealthy families that, as a philanthropic action, provided the funds to set up a local Building Society and just happened to share the name of the town the society was named after.
Since my original post seems to have stirred up some differences of opinion, I've done some quick googling. It would seem that the Captain in question did not in fact inherit the viscountcy, so I guess he must have been a second brother or a cousin. I haven't been able to blow the PerSec of Bender (as he was known for his propensity for drink), so I'll put this out there.

Anyone interested may wish to Google Portman Building Society or the Portman family.

Latest Threads