Army Urban Myths...

True. RHF or Black Watch, 1985, from one of those barracks out in the unfashionable suburbs. It made the Berliner Zeitung.

That goes back to Cyprus, and specifically Famagusta, late 1950s, when two WO's and Sgt's wives from the Scots Regiment in the TAOR were killed by the Greek insurgents of the day, in a particularly barbaric act. The Regiment, under the RSM, I believe, made sure that the residents of Famagusta regretted the decision of EOKA to carry out that attack.
It was the Cameronians in Minden who went into town as a unit to revenge a sweaty being stabbed in a bargees pub,That is when they got their nickname Giftzwerge it means Poison Dwarves by the German Publicmethinks roundabout 57

Seem to remember the Bergen authorities stopped the very early morning unloading of ammo from the rail frieght yard because the noise reminded some of the locals of when the prisoners were being offloaded from the cattle wagons for the march to Belsen.
I would have been impressed with the box heads hearing, there are no houses within a couple Ks of it.

Heard several wonderfuk stories about 7 Sig nicking animals - there was the one about the camel - do you mind if we bring this camel onto camp - not a problem says guard - so they did and tied it to a flag pole, then there was ducks in the bath, wrestling the aligator, punching a bear, feeding terrapins to the aligators and real ducks in a bath - and theyre all true cos my mate told me and he says he was there.
So Many stories about the ******* from 7 Sigs, and my father in laws Wildlife park in Herford, it got so bad with their antics ,we got assigned a german policeman to stop and search any bfg family cars, many baby goats ,pot bellied pigs even a donkey foal,a fewof the sigs singlies visited late at night, to their dismaygetting in was easy but our guarddogs wouldnt let them out,the dogs devoloped a taste for medium rare squaddie meat, 7 sigs gets a fond mention in the book about the history of the park, to this day any surviving member of 7 sigs in accompaniment of 1 grandparent get free entry in the park

I used to read a great mag in the early eighties called 'The Threat' from the Green Slime and did lots of research into Hostile Intelligence Agencies approaching young squaddies for info.

I used this info on cadres and the like putting info together like a giant jigsaw for intelligence purposes. One funny story is about 'Kurt the Spy', a civvy who served in a REME Workshop. He collected all sorts of low level stuff, old part one and two (and three for those who remember them) orders, exercise instructions, old army lists, anything of a low level. He often travelled to East Europe too, known affectionately as Kurt the Spy he was nicked one day. The police and int boys were amazed when they asked for Kurt 'Schmidt' the lads answered, Kurt the Spy, he is on NAAFI break,,,,,,,,,

The other involved a polish lad serving with the Guards in Berlin, he was approached for information by unfriendly forces in a disco. His answer was to hit the guy under the jaw with his fist and knocked him clean out, no dispute in the answer there although not the DS solution!!

Still do it to people on the train, amazing how much they want to tell you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not so much as an army myth this one. Two young toms went out one weekend on a massive bender. 2 Sqn RCT were at the time located at Munsterlarger. Somehow this pair strayed to close to the border between west and east, and ended up under lock and key in the Ost. Lord knows how, as upon release/RTU they were sworn to secrecy by Green Slime. Many beers later and with much pumping for information it occurred that the two of them had gone for a shag on recommendation of one of the locals in this village they ended up at, in a local brothel. It was from there that they were hijacked into the Ost. Best thing was they didn’t actually pay for the service or beers. However the name of the place and the brothel was something they would never tell. As I left soon after I never did find out where this event took place.

Last edited:
Ex Snow Queen, for those of us old enough, 2 weeks skiing in Bavaria masses of fun as well as learning to ski. I was lucky enough to become attached to the Admin HQ located in a commandeered Hotel in Sontofen. All went well and harmony ensued until some stupid nugget sent a loosely attractive WRAC Chef to help feed the permanent staff. All hell broke out as those also attached to the PS, tried to outdo themselves as they tried to win over the heart shag this paragon of attractiveness. Many tried, and many succeeded, including numerous married PS members. It got so bad the CO of the detachment was forced to RTU the lady after a month. Approx another month passed and sitting as duty driver one night received a phone call from said loverly. Cutting a phone call short, it turned out said loverly had contracted a dose. As one of those who tried and did not succeed, to woo her, it was down to me to announce at breakers the next morning of the phone call and it’s contents. Never has so much merth been had by so few over so many (appos to Crab-Air).

I received a few bleeding hand and facial injuries a few years back during a very very bloody altercation, and subsequently did a course of anti-retrovirals.
ARVs work.
But you have the delightful experience of a month to six weeks of a continual hangover, without the pleasure of drinking.

Try 48 weeks in combination with peginterferon injections for real fun.

One from my recruit days.

South Armagh, platoon puts out an ambush. Plt Cmd has a fit of enthusiasm and decides to inspect the killer group from in front of the position. Plt Sgt not having been briefed, when he sees movement in the killing area, initiates the ambush, killing subbie and signaller.
I think that this one on this occasion is unfortunately true. I heard it was a Para Officer and Tom, who approached the lay-up point from the wrong direction late 70‘s early 80’s.

That was two R Signals operators from 216, the aptly named Chopper and Paddy.
One R.Sigs RTG in the then AMF 249 Sig Sqn on the normal annual trip to Turkey.

Based on a Turkish airbase, he decided one night to see how it would feel to be a pilot, deciding to cross the pan and climb into an aircraft. He managed it but got very very close to being shot.

One R.Sigs RTG in the then AMF 249 Sig Sqn on the normal annual trip to Turkey.

Based on a Turkish airbase, he decided one night to see how it would feel to be a pilot, deciding to cross the pan and climb into an aircraft. He managed it but got very very close to being shot.
Wasn’t of Greek origin was he?

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Kingo,s Pads Quarters in Buckeburg and Obern kirchen 67/68 were known as Soap Powder City .the amount of Omo packets on display after dark, the dutch military police from Hessisch Oldendorf were regular visitors, quite a few wives were sent home, Lots of the DERR,s Maltese Wives from Rodenbeck pads in minden were shipped out to when the lads were in NI 69, no old tale I,m sure many singlies who served in Minden betwixt 66 and 73 had lots of fun with the omo ladies!!
We still did in the 80s

I think that this one on this occasion is unfortunately true. I heard it was a Para Officer and Tom, who approached the lay-up point from the wrong direction late 70‘s early 80’s.
My understanding was that the pln cdr had a Tom that was going down with hypothermia and took him off to “get him moving”.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
An entertaining pasttime while on the MV Kerato off W Falkland was to load a penguin into a mailbag waiting on the fwd helipad... Chinook or Lynx arrives to take the mail to Stanley, a little later penguin is seen to plummet down to the sea.
Fixed, and this image had me laughing for ages :D

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think there was a Jinxy in 43 (Ugly) Ord Coy in Hannover mid-late 80s? Tall lad, dark hair, always wore rugby shorts. A very laid back (horizontal) kind of individual.
Cheers mate but doesn't ring a bell.

I received a few bleeding hand and facial injuries a few years back during a very very bloody altercation, and subsequently did a course of anti-retrovirals.
ARVs work.
But you have the delightful experience of a month to six weeks of a continual hangover, without the pleasure of drinking.
So,you were on retrovirals for a very bloody altercation? I am still on retrovirals for a nasty dose of herpies (the sexual variety) which if I were to stop taking would result in the mother and father of an outbreak. Funny this as I was told that retrovirals was only for use on sexual transmitted nasties? So what sort of bloody altercation did you suffer from then? Bleeding from the Cnut or what?

There is truth in it, just not sure how much. An ex para (snco) went off his trolley and went to live in some woods in Brecon training area. This was a while ago. (possibly early 90s )..dont know if hes still there. He was also a married man with children. I know the jist of the story is true however.
I used to go to Brecon 5 or 6 times a year to play silly buggers with an ex-SAS guy called Mick Tyler and his breakaway survival school. Rumour was you went out to reminisce about your military life living in the boom dock, tabbing around the ulhu, cooking el natural, me and my ex went one Christmas week cooked a chicken curry for thos of us stupid enough to be camping out Christmas Day (actually the Bishop of Hereford though it was the most Christian thing he had ever heard) best Christmas Day nosebag I ever did scoff. The whole thing was actually a subtifuze for getting bladderd for the whole weekend. Not sure if Mick is still around, and may well be your Soldier living rough in the ulhu, if he is he would be in his late 80’s by now, but we’ll up for the wild life so long as the Lamb was close by.