Army Urban Myths...

Johned

War Hero
weird that, in Lippstadt, i saw several soldiers turn into a pub o_O
How can that be? I ever thought British soldiers were first class chaps moderate in all their habits. In my assessment of military conduct on release, in my AB108 it actually states "He is honest, sober, loyal etc, etc, etc!" So was I the exception to the norm, did I not drink also? I now question my presumed manliness at the time in those far off days; did I somehow fall short of those masculine habits obviously apparent to and approved by my peers. In my great age, disillusionment is setting in.

How can that be? I ever thought British soldiers were first class chaps moderate in all their habits. In my assessment of military conduct on release, in my AB108 it actually states "He is honest, sober, loyal etc, etc, etc!" So was I the exception to the norm, did I not drink also? I now question my presumed manliness at the time in those far off days; did I somehow fall short of those masculine habits obviously apparent to and approved by my peers. In my great age, disillusionment is setting in.
Don't worry, in Lippstadt the pubs were education centres, where we learned local culture, languages, assorted pub games, as well as mixing with the locals to improve Anglo - German fraternity.
Incidentally to that, some refreshments were taken, in moderation of course.

Ah, the goldener Hahn, down town, the upstairs round room, my farewell drink with a few good fellows from the squadron, which culminated in a rather unseemly dance on the enormous round table, by me, in a state of semi undress, and slightly intoxicated, my AFB 108 makes no mention of this rather disgraceful behaviour, only that my exemplary status was not tarnished by a 252*, or a visit to the Motor Cycle Training Center. 1981 :salut:

*I evoke the 11th commandment. " Don't get caught" ;)

Last edited:
Ah, the goldener Hahn, down town, the upstairs round room, my farewell drink with a few good fellows from the squadron, which culminated in a rather unseemly dance on the enormous round table, by me, in a state of semi undress, and slightly intoxicated, my AFB 108 makes no mention of this rather disgraceful behaviour, only that my exemplary status was not tarnished by a 252*, or a visit to the Motor Cycle Training Center. 1981 :salut:

*I evoke the 11th commandment. " Don't get caught" ;)
It was multicultural too, before that became compulsory: Capri Bar, run by a Greek chap, Cartoon, allegedly run by the Russians, assorted Gastarbeiter Turkish venues, and several Scots, Irish and Welsh among the clientele.

Don't worry, in Lippstadt the pubs were education centres, where we learned local culture, languages, assorted pub games, as well as mixing with the locals to improve Anglo - German fraternity.
Incidentally to that, some refreshments were taken, in moderation of course.

The Guterbahnhof was my local. A hangout for the metal, alternative and Punk types. There were three of us from my regiment who were there most weekends, and knew everybody there. For a laugh, we sometimes invited someone from the NAAFI to join us for a drink down town. The sort of lad who had never heard any music other than chart stuff, and bought their clothes at Man at C&A.
Their faces would be a picture when we walked thru the front door, and the atmosphere would just hit them. Thinking we were doing this for a dare or something, they would go along with it. Eventually, they got the message that this wasn't some kind of wind up, and that we really were part of this scene.
"Don't go down town with them three - they take you to some right dodgy places," was sometimes said about us.
"Yes. That's why I'm going with em," was the reply.

I heard tale of a chap in BAOR who was obsessed with trying to get a posting to Hong Kong, and bored everyone to tears about it.

When his posting order to HK came through, he couldn't believe his luck, and the endless bragging started.

He sold his newish car for peanuts to some poor soul who was condemned to stay in that shithole forever, whilst he was off on his sunshine tour, of course.

He completed his clearance malarkey, and paid for an epic leaving do, which became a unit muster, so 'popular' was he.

It was then that the head shed duly informed him that it had all been a wind up, instigated by the Chief Clerk, and that instead of HK his current post was being extended.

If not true, then a decent urban myth.
Used to happen at depot RCT, Folk would get back from Leccy on the happy bus and on Sqn parade next day or so would get their posting orders read out in front of everyone,
Smith- 1 ADTR
Jones-16 tanks
Welsh-1 Armd field Ambulance
Thompson-BAOR
Thompson-Yes!!!! Where in Germany am I going Sgt?
SGT- BAOR=British Army Over The Road your off to 27 Regt Now fuc.k off and see if you can beat the record of 45mins for clearing camp and getting over the road.

We all pissed ourselves laughing,

Spikes old mob. D Battery 56th heavy Regt RA, and he was a signaler.
Note:- my father was in 26th regt RA, and he was a Sgt signaler, ended up in 73 CSE in burma. ( It aint arf hot mum) still alive at 95. :p

Grandfather. 40 Batt RF ( Judeans) Sgt signaler. He witnessed the surrender of the Turks in Jerusalem to Gen Allenby in December 1917. :salut:

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Used to happen at depot RCT, Folk would get back from Leccy on the happy bus and on Sqn parade next day or so would get their posting orders read out in front of everyone,
Smith- 1 ADTR
Jones-16 tanks
Welsh-1 Armd field Ambulance
Thompson-BAOR
Thompson-Yes!!!! Where in Germany am I going Sgt?
SGT- BAOR=British Army Over The Road your off to 27 Regt Now fuc.k off and see if you can beat the record of 45mins for clearing camp and getting over the road.

We all pissed ourselves laughing,
We had to contend with an apprentice college at St Omer. Thier postings were done on a different process to ours on the adult side. They'd gather the graduating group in the gym, there would be a huge whiteboard plastered with postings on it. The postings were done in order of apprentice rank starting with the junior RSM and working down. One particular App CSM bowls upto the board and pulls a piece of paper off and announces that "he's off to Portugal, suckers", walks upto the admin desk and hands in his posting form only to be told that "Lisburn is in NI, not Portugal and he couldn't change it, unlucky sucker" to much laughter from the rest of his fellow apprentices.

A friend of mine worked as CQMS for an LE Major QM. Said Major was invited to M&RO to sit on a promotion board.
My friend the CQMS knew he had no chance on the board, having failed EPC(A) 3 times.
He had a word with his boss about a decent location for his final tour, hinting at ‘the Far East’ as he had spent most of his career in UK.
The QM returned smiling from M&RO. Got you a Far East posting CQ, how does Colchester sound?

He was smiling at my friends obvious discomfort, when he relented and gave him his papers for 2 years in Hong Kong. :)

The above dit is true. Not sure about the next one. Another mate, who was desperate to get away from a tour as perm staff at a junior training establishment, was called into RHQ for an interview with the adjutant.

His version was that the adj wanted to know was there any truth in the rumour going round that said Sgt was posted to HK.
Yes sir, the rumour is true, I started it.

Another mate had tippexed a posting order sending him to HK, and he allegedly sent his MFO ahead, using the dodgy posting order as authority!

Last edited:

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
I can confirm something along those lines.
In the very early 70s, I was invited to spend a day with 14/20H at Tidworth: the school’s army liaison officer for Somerset was late 14/20H.
The visit, aka Regimental interview, included watching a polo match (it was a Sunday).
Over tea, I was asked by the then-CO whether I had a private income. ‘If not’, he said, ‘on your Army salary, you could afford one of, and in this order, horse, car or woman’.
I did not go to the 14/20H.
In my teens I was interested in obtaining a commission in my local (non-posh) infantry regiment. With a view to obtaining sponsorship I attended RHQ in a shiny suit and was interviewed by the Regimental Secretary.

"And which school do you attend?" he enquired.

I told him.

"And are you a dayboy or a boarder?"

"Er.. a dayboy Sir".

I didn't bother telling him that I went to the local comp which coincidentally shared a name with a minor public school. Looking back he may have been taking the p1ss.