Army Urban Myths...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The "lady" that night didn't even get one sausage!
Life Is Hard*

Then You Die​
Then Somebody steals Your Boots​
So it is written​
Have no regrets.​
* as was your sossij, no doubt. I feel for you: in the spirit of 'reduce, re-use, recycle", it would be important for climate change, if nothing else, to be reassured that no Erection ever goes to waste.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
What about if you write a book you cant have the royalties until you demob ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What about if you write a book you cant have the royalties until you demob ?
That's been proven wrong before it started.

W.R.A.C. did not like ‘Rack’ as ‘Racks are things that get screwed up against walls’ - as my sister very emphatically explained to anybody who made that error!

Warm, Round And Cuddly...

exsniffer

War Hero
I was 5 R ANGLIAN, joined in 1975. Others may have called us 'The Tigers,' but we didn't call ourselves that. Sadly we had no Gucci nickname. (And certainly not RAR.) It was a great Bn though and I am proud to have worn their capbadge.
One of the Royal Anglians parent units was then Leicestershire regiment who had the nickname the Leicester tigers. IIRC the title still used by one of their TA units as late as 1997.

ETA The Leicester Tigers Rughy team also used the title

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Warm, Round And Cuddly...
Exactly the definition of that abbreviation l learned when I first encountered W.R.A.Cs as a Jockanese Siggy recruit back in 1989.

One of the Royal Anglians parent units was then Leicestershire regiment who had the nickname the Leicester tigers. IIRC the title still used by one of their TA units as late as 1997.

ETA The Leicester Tigers Rughy team also used the title
Weren't the Royal Hampshires known as the Tigers as well. I came across some blokes from Tiger Company R Hampshires at Canterbury in 1972 when I was at JLR RE at Dover. They had been reduced to a company in the late sixties, but became a full size battalion soon after when there was an urgent need for Infantry in 1972. Originally they were slated to amalgamate with 1 Glosters in 1969.

Weren't the Royal Hampshires known as the Tigers as well.
Maybe

But - no local brewery named a beer after them, nor did any Hants rugby team signify solidarity with the County's soldiery by adopting the title.

Nor (in thirty years of professional soldiering) did I ever hear "Tigers" used in connection with the Hampsters.

When I did, it was only when the parasites slapped the label on (what had previously been) the Queen's Regiment freefall parachute team, after the Hampsters had engineered the deletion from the Army Order Of Battle, in the reign of HM Elizabeth II, the regimental title The Queen's Regiment.

I don't ordinarily get cranked up by such matters, but in this instance I find the Hampsters to have behaved appallingly, ever since their nondescript little county mob was force-wedded to The Queen's Regiment.

Hope this helps

Maybe

But - no local brewery named a beer after them, nor did any Hants rugby team signify solidarity with the County's soldiery by adopting the title.

Nor (in thirty years of professional soldiering) did I ever hear "Tigers" used in connection with the Hampsters.

When I did, it was only when the parasites slapped the label on (what had previously been) the Queen's Regiment freefall parachute team, after the Hampsters had engineered the deletion from the Army Order Of Battle, in the reign of HM Elizabeth II, the regimental title The Queen's Regiment.

I don't ordinarily get cranked up by such matters, but in this instance I find the Hampsters to have behaved appallingly, ever since their nondescript little county mob was force-wedded to The Queen's Regiment.

Hope this helps

Dunno what gives me this impression, something about that post, perhaps.

You weren't by any chance commissioned into The Queen's Regiment? :)

Dunno what gives me this impression, something about that post, perhaps.

You weren't by any chance commissioned into The Queen's Regiment? :)
I was badged Middlesex for my first year in CCF (proper brass capbadge!) then Queen's. When I left skule I became 2430##*5 Pte Stonker with the Queen's T&AVR company in Edgware (@Buttmaster General will confirm).

I was commissioned RRF in 1974, so I've really got no dog in this particular fight.

I just thought/still think that the behaviour of the Hampsters simply demonstrated much of the hypocrisy that is implicitly encouraged by our mental Reggie system, and absolutely fvckall of it's much-vaunted redeeming features.

W.R.A.C. did not like ‘Rack’ as ‘Racks are things that get screwed up against walls’ - as my sister very emphatically explained to anybody who made that error!
WRAC were popular with some squaddies...

I was badged Middlesex for my first year in CCF (proper brass capbadge!) then Queen's. When I left skule I became 2430##*5 Pte Stonker with the Queen's T&AVR company in Edgware (@Buttmaster General will confirm).

I was commissioned RRF in 1974, so I've really got no dog in this particular fight.

I just thought/still think that the behaviour of the Hampsters simply demonstrated much of the hypocrisy that is implicitly encouraged by our mental Reggie system, and absolutely fvckall of it's much-vaunted redeeming features.
I can confirm what Stonker has posted: I was a couple of years behind him in the CCF (Queens Regt badged), then I joined the TA at Edgware (I was 244**008 (Queens Regt badged again) - missed the best last 3 by 1 digit).

The whole 1992 re-org which joined Queens to Royal Hampshires to form PWRR was 'fraught' - however the blokes on the ground just cracked to form a great infantry regiment (PWRR), with whom I am proud and privileged to have served.

the blokes on the ground just cracked to form a great infantry regiment (PWRR),
Tommie to the very core.

My issue - as always- is with the smug fvckers in Wegimental HQ who act like the defence of this nation is of secondary importance to the arbitrary crustless finger food/ sartorial/ skule prejudices of their particular social club.

Latest Threads