Army Urban Myths...

Which they ended up not liking to be called as Kosbies or Kosbees sounds like the word for "shower of bastards" in Arabic or something. Maybe a Jockanese greenskin urban myth but I was told it by lots of different people.
I always knew them colloquially as the Bing Crosby's

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
If memory serves correctly, they were incorporated into 5 R ANGLIAN, then their lineage and nickname was claimed when that Btn became TA, and eventually descended to the Loughborough Sqdn of 158 Royal Anglian (V) after 5 R ANGLIAN were re-roled into RLC.

Given 158 have stopped pretending they have infantry ties any more, the Tigers may have been entirely extinguished.
I was 5 R ANGLIAN, joined in 1975. Others may have called us 'The Tigers,' but we didn't call ourselves that. Sadly we had no Gucci nickname. (And certainly not RAR.) It was a great Bn though and I am proud to have worn their capbadge.

King's Own Scottish Borderers KOSB (Scottish)

The Border Regiment (Cumberland & Westmoreland)
+ King;s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) = (1959) The King's Own Royal Border Regiment KORBR (English)

The South Wales Borderers SWB (Welsh)

Myths there maybe to explain why some regiments/corps insist on the initials being pronounced in full, like the
KOYLI, WRAC, KOSB but it probably is because they simply don't like it.
On the other hand REME (reeme) didn't seem too bothered, nor did the Obly-Goblys although their preference was 43rd or Ox & Bucks

1975-1976 when I did two tours in N.I
In that time frame, during one of my infrequent visits to XMG, I shared a flight out with a lad, Royal Signals IIRC. He said his job was to tow a trailer around town with a device that dealt with RC devices. Never really thought much about it at the time.

And The Border Regiment with whom my Uncle died up the Irrawaddy. And with whom (or their amalgamated child ) Sluggy (PBUH)'s brother served
I had a teacher who had served in The Border Regiment in the same campaign, somehow he became separated from the Battalion, not unusual I expect either due to the grim nature of jungle fighting or perhaps CASEVAC and spent the remainder of his Far East time with another regiment. He reported to the Border's depot at Carlisle Castle only to be told "We thought you were dead"

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I was 5 R ANGLIAN, joined in 1975. Others may have called us 'The Tigers,' but we didn't call ourselves that. Sadly we had no Gucci nickname. (And certainly not RAR.) It was a great Bn though and I am proud to have worn their capbadge.
I was royal Anglian 5th. batt. HQ coy Pioneer platoon circa 1982
I agree no one called us Tigers or even Fen Tigers.
However everyone bar Sappers called us Anglicans.
Sappers called us Angle Irons .

bob231

War Hero
Thanks; I was 158 RLC and presume they'd inherited it, seems more like they just fabricated lineages for the individual squadrons based on loose historical links.

The late Queen Mum certainly renamed a diesel locomotive "The Royal Anglican Regiment" instead of the intended "The Royal Anglian Regiment."

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had a teacher who had served in The Border Regiment in the same campaign, somehow he became separated from the Battalion, not unusual I expect either due to the grim nature of jungle fighting or perhaps CASEVAC and spent the remainder of his Far East time with another regiment. He reported to the Border's depot at Carlisle Castle only to be told "We thought you were dead"
I've told before how we holidayed at Brampton, with friends, every year. Mum made a pilgrimage to Carlisle Cathedral every year to look in a book of remembrance. The last time she ever visited, she found it open on Uncle Jack's page. Cried. Never went back.

Edit. George MacDonald Fraser served in another Borders battalion up the Irrawaddy. 19th iirc.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sappers called us Angle Irons .
I was stationed next door to iirc 1 R Anglian at Catterick 75-6 and iirc 2 R Anglian (might have been 3) at Tidworth 76-7. Always Angle Irons to 15/19H.

Latest Threads