Army TV

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chiefwiggum, Jan 31, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody help, I remember in the early - mid eighties a TV prog that used to pit teams from different regiments against each other in a series of tasks such as a gun race and shooting. To help settle a drunken dispute can anyone back me up or was it all just a dream!
  2. I remember this - can't recall the title though - highlight for me was watching a team use crazy spray string to locate tripwires in a 'minefield' - we all carried cans of it for months in the hope etc...
  3. Yeah i remember the silly string bit too, still can't think of the title though
  4. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

I beleive it was called "combat", or somthing like that (don't quote me on it though), and even though i was only about 6 or 7 at the time, I remember it a little.
  5. I think it was around 1989 that this was on, and seem to remember that it was hosted by Emlyn Hughes and some bint (Annabell Croft? Or was that Treasure Hunt?!).
    It struck me as good PR for you chaps; shame it only lasted for one series.
  6. i remember watching it, why not start it again it would be good PR for Regiment thats desperate to recruit and foster healthy Regimental rivalry :wink:
  7. ..........and what happened to Emlyn Hughes? He was good at what he was supposed to be doing, unlike the series, which was pretty ropey. I remember some particularly unlikely messing around in landrovers at unfeasible speeds. Driven by WRACs mostly, too, I think.
  8. Most Infantry Regiments would have to field platoons made up of Fijiians these days, if they could find the time to train up for it in amongst all the other committments...
    Ho Hum...
  9. The program was called 'Combat' then the year ie 'Combat 89'. One of the guys in my regtiment rolled a Landrover on to his-self & broke his leg but still carried on with the March & Shoot. He's now a Warrant Officer & still mad as a brush.
  10. if i remember correctly most of the "best students " ended up at warminster as instructors...

the only one i remember is that huge man from the angle irons, seemed one switched on cookie...
    so if is still in probably a c/sgt by now
  11. Never heard of it - was it just too embarrassing for BFBS to screen ?
  12. i rember the bit where they were firing the 51mm mortar and rounds were dropping 100 of meters away from target . And some gurkha officer coming up with a plan to cross rope by doing webbing belt round rope and pulling yourself along rope underneath .q lots of gurkhas falling into river . oh and the paras cheating :D

13. Brilliant guy, sadly collapsed at home in Sheffield last year and was found to have a brain tumour.
    He had surgery in August and following that, DXT (Radiotherapy). Hopefully he is making a good recovery.
  14. I can't remember if it was "Combat 88, 89" or Combat is a far right European fascist movement so I must be careful.

However, it was DEFINITELY won by the Argyll's. Some good bits in it too GPMG in SF role at night was tops.

Q : Why does Plymouth have a football team called Plymouth Argyll ?