Army trades\skills. Are they relevent to civvy employers?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Speedy, Sep 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mike_2817 came up vwith a valid point in another thread when he said that the reason so many ex-squaddies are going for degrees is that civvy employers do not either
    a. Rate military trade skills.
    b. Have any idea about the level of training soldiers obtain and what they are qualified to do.
    c. Military qualifications are not worth the paper they are printed on once you enter the real world because of point b.

Has anyone here encountered apathy and general lack of knowlede of military trade skills?

2. I currently work in advertising and am making a radical change by moving into recruitment. During the course of just about every interview I have ever done I get the distinct impression that ex forces is a total blank to most employers. Only one smug cockhead ever mentioned it "Ohh so you know how to shoot people?"

I honestly believe that those with no previous service either think you were on a jolly for a few years, a psycho or just good at drinking. I can say for a fact that I would look quite favourably on those with service in any corp or regiment. Employers really dont give a toss about military service and qualifications you can forget it.

On a positive note I did have one or two interviewers saying "I wanted to do that once, too old now" maybe a bit of inferiority complex with some blokes?

3. Well it's a fair bet that most civvy employers aren't interested in your skills in advance to contact, double tapping on a Gimpy or close recce at night. He will however be happy to see self confidence, dicilpine and good attitude that are very lacking in much of the available workforce out there today.

As for military trades and skills, most army tradesmen don't spend as much time practicing these skills as a civvy would or are experienced on older less complicated equipments than most found in civvy firms. For example, an RE bricky, chippy etc spend very little of their time doing their trade, but do have a much wider range of skills over a broard spectrum of engineering tasks. The employer who wants a bricky however is going to employ the one with the most experience with a trowel in his hand. Or a REME VM who's the worlds number one on landrovers or DAFs might not be up to speed on modern computer management systems.

Also, the army concentrate on qualifications that aren't sought after by civvy employers, like NVQs. Better than nothing, but beaten by almost anything else and walked all over by a degree.

The systems and support (including financial) are there for all soldiers to further their education and qualifications whilest serving. Not always easy with other courses, exercises and deployments, but far better to get them done now rather than end up on the job market with an NVQ in truck driving.

With a degree and the self reliance, confidence and good attitude of a squaddie you could be a choice candidate for any potential employer.... just don't bore them to death with the war stories! :lol:

4. A touch of this I think. Samuel Johnson said in 1778, 'Every man feels meanly of himself for not having been a soldier or not having been at sea'
    We did it, no matter for how long. It still grates when they mistake leadership for management and vice-versa. The fact that you have led, managed and supported troops means nothing to a civvy HR droid when you mention it on your cv.

5. I think most will play down any "steely eyed killer" rubbish and concentrate on transferable or relativley applicable skills but in my experience military experience is glossed over. Certainly RE brickies etc is a definate bonus if going into a relevant sector but if you are not going into a previously applicable sector, infantry experience will be applicable to where exactly?

In answer to the question unless there is a clear follow through trade most employers will give military experience goodwill and not much else. :(

6. I'm afarid I can only speak for the engineering trades. The company I work for at the moment likes looking for ex-military tradesmen. The civvy community is now facing problems in getting younger tradesmen, such as toolmakers, mechanical techs, wiremen, etc because for many years there have been fewer and fewer apprentice schemes. The military is one source of technically qualified people.

Additionally, ex-military personnel will have better skills in terms of team-working. One area that I have sseen when going to the recruitment fairs at Leicster are the large numbers of guys looking for management and Health and Safety posts. Sorry guys , but there are a glut of people with those qualifications, and many of the people we get for those have prior experience in our industry. Best thing to look for with those sorts of skills would be the defence contractors.

Those with technical degrees (electronics, mechanics, etc) can get good posts as commissioning engineers, but should highlight their 'hands-on fault-finding skills'. For better money a good IT degree or MCSE qualification, especially if you can program good object-oriented code in C++, VB/VBA, Perl, Java or any of the .NET languages.

The main point when getting out is to 'de-militarise' your CV, get rid of the Jargon and references to the names of the kit you've worked on, unless you're sending teh CV to a military contractor. Emphasis the useful skills that you've got from the military - team-working, self-discipline, flexibility, an ability to deal with pressure and to prioritise tasks, experience of working in adverse conditions, etc. Look especially at the essential skills that the employer is looking for and try and match something from the military life to each one. That should make it easier for an employer to understand.

7. not much for ex-scalies apart from oil rigs
    :?

8. I have bumped into a faor few ex sappers driving plant, and also rather a few who have taken the skill of construction materials tech and made a fair living doing that, guess it didnt hinder that one of the firms was based down chatham way :lol:

9. I know Speedy doesn't think much of us truckers ,but my HGV ,MHE licences have keept the wolf from the door and a roof over my head since i got out ,and i wouldn,t change a thing ,i have a good employer, good wages (new truck :D )and a change of scenery evrey time i leave the yard,
    so i believe my RCT background and the licence speedy doesn't think to much of are certainly relevent to my employer 8)

HAPPY TRUCKING 8)

10. You're totally wrong there. I have every licence known to man bar coach and road roller (all taken individually, 8 seperate tests in all), and I know exactlt the stress and crap you do day in and day out, I used to do it myself.
    Look at my sig. I used to drive the armys' larges piece of equipment for a living. My point is that people should try something new once in civ-div. That is all.

11. quite a few squaddies go on to work for the Fire, Police, ambulance and prison services amongst a few.
    that could be worth considering ?

12. quite a few ex scalies in lots of communication jobs that i know of! ok you dont get many civvi rrb dets..but you can't have everything!! :wink:

13. Always security jobs. :?

14. I'm not sure about millitary qualifications being worth the paper they are written on, :?

I left REME about a year and a half or so ago, after 22 years, with no civvy quals at all. Absoloutley worried to death. :( I founed ressettlement extreemely confusing, and could not find any direction as to what to do outside. :? Why couldn't an expert working for the army give me some solid guidence as to what to do with the army engineering skills, that I already had? :? Or even a method of how to enhance them to give me a fighting chance on the outside. I never took any ressetlement training except for a three day CTP course which I found very worth while. :(

Since leaving I have had two jobs. The first was repairing electro - mechanical track and line relays for the railway industry. My present job is the repair of hydraulic lifts that are mounted on various waste disposal vehicles. Neither job was exactly the same as what I used to do In the Army.

I can honestly say that I have had more offers of employment after an interview stage, than not being offered a job. And during any interview I have never been asked to provide any qualifications. Although you do need to be able to answer the questions that are fired at you. I honestly think that a prospective employer is more impressed by a 22 year checkable work history and a good interview perfomance than qualifications. :?

I curently work along side an ex insurance salesman and an ex matelot who both have not an engineering qualification between them, but are pretty good at getting the job done.

Sorry about the spelling. :oops:

15. The worst Ex-Service personell are Stupid miserble Prison service types. Don't ever ever do that job. You'll turn into a spazz and end up with no mates. No honest