Army to stay 4 years in Iraq...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jun 17, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Here's the article in today's Times,,5944-716484,00.html

However, the most interesting paragraph is this:

In an interview with The Times yesterday, MajorGeneral Freddy Viggers, a British commander newly appointed to serve at the US military headquarters in Baghdad, gave warning that coalition forces in Iraq risked becoming bogged down in a Balkans-style policing mission unless they could capture or kill Saddam Husssein and prove his Baathist regime was finished.

Isn't one of the reasons that we are still involved in a 'Balkans-style policing mission' is the Balkans due to the complete inability of SFOR to apprehend Karadzic and Mladic?

2. It will be a long winding road, sad to say.
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I thought we'd be there longer than that- so that is a MOD result!
  4. Well, come on, did anyone really believe that we were only going to be there for a year?

Basra is a garrison now, the locals had better get used to it. Still, it gives recruiting Sergeants something to entice 17 year olds with  ;D

Blair, you are full of sh1t ,"We will only be there as long as it takes to put a local government in " and maybe one day, someone with some spine will investigate all your lies
  5. oh yes indeedy
  6. msr

msr LE

Stand by for the invasion of Iran/Syria [delete as appropriate] then....
  7. Maybe we won't have to invade Iran, judging by the way the locals are performing. Unfortunately, student uprisings tend to get crushed.

Just hope we don't get another Tiannamen square, but my support and best wishes go to the students. maybe they can make a difference, but I doubt it  :-/
  8. I think it's all a crock of shyte, and the four years is deemed necessary to protect the oil wells until the Iraqis are sufficiently well able to do it themselves...under the auspices of the Yanks of course.

You could say that it will take 4 years for the Iraqis to be brainwashed into spamland, and also it may take that long to rebuild Baghdad, and McDonalds can't move in until Baghdad is rebuilt.  :D

Sent the TocH wagon in to feed them bacon butties meantimes ;D
  9. Army to stay for years in Iraq is obviously more apt.
  10. Army to stay in Iraq for 4 years (?) ... and counting... ;)

edit: Jus seen I brought back a thread from the dead... 2003, LoL.