Army to spread burden of combat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

WASHINGTON — The prospect of combat in Iraq for at least another four years is prompting the Army to realign its forces to prevent a small slice of soldiers who are shouldering much of the fighting from wearing out.

Pentagon records show one-fifth of the Army's active-duty troops have served multiple tours of war duty while more than 40% haven't been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.

That disparity is behind the Army's plans to shift some soldiers to high-demand wartime specialties that could ease the burden on combat forces.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-10-26-army-deployments_x.htm?csp=34

42% - how does that compare to the British Army?

msr

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I heard this stat this morning (last night?) on the radio. Made me think immediately that this is a sure sign that the pentagon has further ops i.e. Iran and/or Korea still on the desk...

3. And have any of ours guys racked up nine tours?

4. Don't bother asking the ACF to step in :) some of the Instructors are bit lardy and will run out of breath chasing the little darlings, the other would be potential Rambos with delusions of being a one man army, Most of us are normal, just ;)

5. I don't think the British Army knows. As it happens, I heard a story this week that the statistics branch that produced all that data is to be disbanded. But I have been hearing so many rumours about major budget and job cuts that I don't know what to believe. Rumour control has it that my organisation which is currently about 1000 strong is to be cut to about 5-600 by July. The Chief Exec looked pretty frazzled all week, anyway! Maybe it's just that time of year when rumours abound.

Litotes

6. Ah Lilotes,

You can probaly shed those jobs form the Seretariat, HR and PM cells that your agency needs as well as the finance staff. Get rid of the management overhead that an agency has to incur to report to Parliament and it won't seem anywhere near as painful. Of course your CE won't want to do that as it impinges on his Freedom of Action and means he is less likely to get a New year Gong.

7. Litotes
    " But I have been hearing so many rumours about major budget and job cuts that I don't know what to believe."

Major Budget cuts ! when the opposite is required.
    Where does the UK defence budget go, it's a large sum but never seems enough.
    john
    Are we running a 'Black' Army ?