Army to run on chip oil!!!!!!!

Personally , I think it's an excellent idea, and the savings generated would certainly not be small potatoes (See what I did there?) :D

If you think how much waste oil is generated in just one day's cooking at a small Service facility, now multiply that, then the cost of disposing of said oil we can actually get dual use here.

This actually might get bigger than we thought. Can Type 45's run on waste oil? :D

PartTimePongo said:
Personally , I think it's an excellent idea, and the savings generated would certainly not be small potatoes (See what I did there?) :D

If you think how much waste oil is generated in just one day's cooking at a small Service facility, now multiply that, then the cost of disposing of said oil we can actually get dual use here.

This actually might get bigger than we thought. Can Type 45's run on waste oil? :D
Something you may be interested in... for the type 45s for waste disposal they've gone to a place called compact power (they're online). They aren't incinerators, because they're far far hotter (pyrolysis - they're awesome bits of kit). On a larger scale they are used to produce electricity and/or heat. So energy from waste. But the type 45 won't produce enough waste (believe it or not, fat matelots) to warrant a unit big enough to make generation worthwhile

compactpower navy press release

The Peoples Liberation Army has a game plan in place to switch to BioDiesel if the Americans and Japs prevent the oil tankers getting in. They have huge stockpiles in place, including reclaimed cooking oil - apparently the only draw back is that it stinks the place out.

crabby said:
How it works

Not the plant in question; but same process I believe, on a smaller scale. Will edit this post if I find what I'm looking for.
I know it was in The Times about 2 1/2 years ago.

Holdsworthy in "debum" Holdsworthy

jonny foreigner gets in on the act

Do a search for biogas; will tell you most of what you want to know
Thanks again Crabby. Is the Compact Power jobby the one that burns hot enough to destroy CFCs???

Sven said:
crabby said:
How it works

Not the plant in question; but same process I believe, on a smaller scale. Will edit this post if I find what I'm looking for.
I know it was in The Times about 2 1/2 years ago.

Holdsworthy in "debum" Holdsworthy

jonny foreigner gets in on the act

Do a search for biogas; will tell you most of what you want to know
Thanks again Crabby. Is the Compact Power jobby the one that burns hot enough to destroy CFCs???

CFCs?? No idea. But about 1500 degrees so hot enough to treat clinical waste and render it completely inert. Have a wander around their website. I went to their Avonmouth plant this year and I have to say (sadly) it was one of the most interesting places I've been to that's involved in power generation (I was quite excited, even if we were tired and hungover)