Army to outsource recruitment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by daz, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daz

daz LE

Just picked this up from the Recruiter, one wonders if there's a few members of the current Gov going to try and get their snouts' in this trough because there's no logical reason to outsource HM Armed Forces recruitment to private industry.

2. Daz

Has this appeared in the press? Which publication?
  3. It went out in the MoD contract bulletin about 6 or 8 weeks ago, trawling for interest in it.

As I understand it from the contracts bulletin it's to provide the infrastructure and support to the process.
  4. It was in one of the Sunday papers as well. I read it and thought it so barking that I even forgot to mention it on Arrse!

5. This is absolute bollocks.

The employment of civilian agencies to recruit for the Army was trialled in Scotland about 6 years ago and it was an abject failure that had to be terminated at short notice.

Never again was the cry from Recruiting Group!
  6. Yeah, but this time they'll probably have a slack handful of 'former' Army Officers on their it's bound to work. Good money after bad, eh.

Former Army Officers...consultants to the world. Especially the really old ones who just can't let go.
  7. daz

daz LE

The Recruiter mag sends out a daily email, here's the link to the article.

8. That's bloody insane.
    Speaking as a pre-crow lad who's currently dealing closely with the local recruiters, how the bloody hell am I supposed to have anything approaching the respect/trust I have with/for the current recruiters, for/with some overpaid underworked civil serpent?

What possible purpose could this serve? I want to talk about the army to people from the army, not to bloody secondary school civilian carreers advisors.
  9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

You will. I believe this is outsourcing the "back office" stuff such as marketing (already out with contractors), processing applications, IT, medicals etc. The "Front of House" contact with the applicant stays green.
  10. Ah right, not the huge sweeping changes I'd envisaged. Imagine how unusual people would find it to go to an AFCO manned by contractors/delegates/associates/whatever they call themselves these days, with no green in sight.
  11. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

A job of a recruiter in civ life is to sell a particular role for employment. They will no doubt be target driven but will also be professionally liable if say some chav wants to fly helicopters only to find he drives trucks instead. Interesting potential case.
  12. So that's what that bloke was doing at the Age Concern Day Centre................
  13. Much as I agree with your sentiment, even I could not defend your description of MOD Civil Servants as overpaid and underworked. The reverse is definitely true. However, even if outsourcing of the back office were to go ahead, Civil Servants would not necessarily get any more involved in recruiting than they are already.
  14. I was not referring to MOD staff, more to the government appointed civil servants that are given non-jobs like "equality and diversity co-ordinator" and "health and safety steward" for serious wages, and things like that. I saw the posts being given to outside contractors from outside the MOD, to whom quotas and statistics would be more important than honesty and job knowledge.

This was not intended as a criticism of the hardworking MOD staff you refer to, and no offense was intended :).
  15. Fine, but make sure you understand the difference between Civil Servants and Consultants - two very differents beasts.