Army/tank question

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by barneyrnsm, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry gents but being ex RN I cant answer Mrs Barneyrnsm on this one, do you have to put the brakes on a tank when you fire the gun at the front? We are watching Full Metal Jacket and I have no idea.I would guess that there is some automatic interlock to prevent the tank from moving but stand by to be corrected!!!

2. I'm not a tankie, but in days of old tanks had to stop to be able to aim accurately. So it was stop, aim, fire. Tanks can aim on the move now so don't have to stop.

What you'll have seen on FMJ was the tank moving back when the gun fired (from stationary). That would have been recoil taken up by torque in the drive train components. After the recoil, the drive train untorques (is there such a word) by moving back forward. If the brakes aren't on, there won't be a build up of torque so the tank will roll backwards only. Also, if the brakes aren't on, the gun won't be fired from a stable platform, so the range will be shortened.

Next time you're on a man o' war, fire one of your cannon without the wedges under the back wheels and see how much the cannon moves backwards and how much the range is reduced. :wink:

PS I think the automatic interlock is called a "driver".

3. Cheers for that,I now have to explain that to Mrs Barneyrnsm,just wait to see if it means anything to her!!

4. Mrs Barneyrnsm says thanks and had a cheeky grin on her face,not sure it answered her question but cheers anyways!!!

5. Do battleships 'put their water brakes' on when firing from the main guns?

Tanks are designed to fire on the move, the missus must have been watching the old war films where tanks on both sides line up across the fields and start shooting at each other - that was probably down to the abilities/technologies of the film crew more that the tank. Of course early tanks would have a problem firing if they were not static.

Now Self-propelled guns or multi-barrelled rocket launchers, that's a different story..

6. Well being an ex submariner I can only say that I know battleships did move sideways a bit when they fired their main guns,torpedeos and missles on boats are a different story all together!

7. Only if you're shooting downhill ;-)

8. Cheers she has gone quiet now!

9. As a former Artificer, Newton said in his Third law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. This means that whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This law is sometimes referred to as the action-reaction law, with F called the "action" and −F the "reaction". The action and the reaction are simultaneous.

hope this helps :)

10. As an ex tiff myself that I knew,the wife asked about tank brakes thats all!

11. What are you talking about? - I didn't know Newton drove tanks!!!

12. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

dear black pig ,
    in my day we had to fire out tank gun not only parked up , but from another tank 50m behind us !! I kid you not .

13. Typical tiffy; blinds everyone with science and doesn't even answer the question!

Tell her to just leave it in gear, same as parking on a hill.

14. He didn't. He said Newton was a Tiffy. That would have been after his stint in the legal profession when he passed laws. Must have been a senior Law Lord, then. Strange that he joined the Army. Must have been caught fiddling expenses.

15. Newton was an ECE Tiffy, taught me FVGCE10 (IIRC) at SEE back in 88, so he would know all about tanks firing on the move.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk