Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army sword identification

Hi all,
I was recently going through some stuff of a relative and im pretty sure I’ve found a british army ceremonial sword. I do have British army background but I am unsure which regiment this sword is from. I’ve searched everywhere, I just can’t seem to find what regiment this sword belonged to. It does need a polish so I can’t really read whats written on the actual blade. I’ve attached some pictures so if anyone can help that would be very much appreciated. If you need any more pics please do not hesitate to ask

3046A254-355C-4AA3-9F31-8C1CD8510065.jpeg

B45FA078-2E42-45B9-98CC-3B39EBADBAA7.jpeg
E2B9E78C-A411-4E17-8265-349A9114079C.jpeg
6C390F7C-D48A-40AE-AA27-4C96BBF3E019.jpeg
D3AACAC7-8473-45C9-A76A-1FE8B8CFBDC2.jpeg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
George V infantry officer sword?

morsk

LE
Do you have any more ambiguous pics, maybe out of focus?

My sword is a George V, too.
There’ll be a registration number at the top of the blade and you should at least be able to track the original owner from that.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

yours clearly has the George V cypher on it, much like that one there

Last edited:
It’s a George V infantry pattern sword. IIRC the pattern was last standardised in 1897.

There will be a serial number. My sister bought my sword as a present and it’s Victorian (of the same pattern but a bit older). I sent the serial number to Wilkinson’s and they sent me a photocopy of the original ledger entry showing the name rank and regiment of the original owner.

It’s a George V infantry pattern sword. IIRC the pattern was last standardised in 1897.

There will be a serial number. My sister bought my sword as a present and it’s Victorian (of the same pattern but a bit older). I sent the serial number to Wilkinson’s and they sent me a photocopy of the original ledger entry showing the name rank and regiment of the original owner.
‘Serial number’, that’s what my addled brain was searching for. Thanks.
It’s interesting the sword knot on the OP’s pic is long, and not Infantry short, ie tight up to the basket, but that could just be a change in fashions over time.

It’s interesting the sword knot on the OP’s pic is long, and not Infantry short, ie tight up to the basket, but that could just be a change in fashions over time.

Similar sword knot length to the KGV that I've got.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

it looks like it's come undone to me, needs the services of the Repair Shop!

it looks like it's come undone to me, needs the services of the Repair Shop!
Join the queue!
Suzy Fletcher’s skills might be needed to renovate the knot, otherwise just buy a new one.
I had always intended my sword to be passed on to my son should he be commissioned.
He was, but into the Royal Australian Navy, so we had to purchase a Navy pattern.
I did attend his Passing Out at RANS Cresswell and asked, actually come to think of it, it was the Commandant, if somebody could fix the knot in proper RAN style.
He summoned an armourer, who did the job as per.

My sword is a George V, too.
There’ll be a registration number at the top of the blade and you should at least be able to track the original owner from that.
I’ve been looking everywhere on the top of the blade for the registration number can you advise me what to look for on the sword
thanks

I’ve been looking everywhere on the top of the blade for the registration number can you advise me what to look for on the sword
thanks

Here’s some pictures of my sword.

6eefccab43f0ae30112487b9397dc6f3.jpg

Granted it’s not going to win any photography prizes but it shows where the serial number can be found on a late Victorian 1897 infantry pattern sword. At least, one made by Wilkinson.

The second picture shows the VR cipher.

dfefa3bb60491211649f8389633f074b.jpg

4(T)

LE
The reason I spotted it was because the knot on a cavalry sword is long - it provided a loop to put the hand through.

Infantry officers were of course mounted at the time this sword was first purchased.

I assume short/wrapped sword knots became standard in the 20's or whenever mechanisation took place.

Infantry officers were of course mounted at the time this sword was first purchased.

I assume short/wrapped sword knots became standard in the 20's or whenever mechanisation took place.
To this day Infantry officers of Field Rank wear them 'long' to reflect their once mounted status (goes with the spurs in Mess Kit) and officers below Field Rank wear their knots 'wrapped'.

Looks like an 1897 Pattern Infantry Officers' Sword.

The grip of the handle is sharkskin.

Hi all,
I was recently going through some stuff of a relative and im pretty sure I’ve found a british army ceremonial sword. I do have British army background but I am unsure which regiment this sword is from. I’ve searched everywhere, I just can’t seem to find what regiment this sword belonged to. It does need a polish so I can’t really read whats written on the actual blade. I’ve attached some pictures so if anyone can help that would be very much appreciated. If you need any more pics please do not hesitate to ask

View attachment 539688
View attachment 539689View attachment 539690View attachment 539691View attachment 539692

You have put the sword back into its scabbard the wrong way round. The leather strap is forward facing as it is designed to stop it all falling through the frog, the wee strap attaches to the brass bobble on said frog.

Here’s some pictures of my sword.

6eefccab43f0ae30112487b9397dc6f3.jpg

Granted it’s not going to win any photography prizes but it shows where the serial number can be found on a late Victorian 1897 infantry pattern sword. At least, one made by Wilkinson.

The second picture shows the VR the w
Which website do I send in the serial code?

Latest Threads