Army stress cases double

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. If you listen very carefully from Downing Street, you'll hear the distinct sound of chickens coming home to roost.

Not that anyone there will give a damn, of course.
  3. Alistair Campbell might understand. He did, after all go through a very serious bout of depression. Which was most regrettable and something for which we are all extremely sympathetic - the poor love.
  4. from the corner of my very dark room , I wish to say that you will see the drip drip drip of these stories turn in to a trickle and eventualy.........
    I dearly hope the exposure this is gettting will help those in need

5. Aye, seconded there WW. What gets me is the sheer ignorance of most of not being able to grasp the fact that PTSD is just as much an injury as the visible ones. Then there's the sad indictment that charities such as Combat Stress are admirably picking up the pieces of those whose illness should be dealt with in-house/NHS. Combat Stress are experiencing a huge increase in demand for their services, they of course are coping but still desperately require additional funding.

From my recent passionate blatherings to anyone who stands still long enough about Combat Stress and PTSD a few people have said they recall media articles about the subject. Halleluiah! Just a few more million people to educate, starting with bliar and his fellow bacteria.
  6. Then why is this-

in danger of being shut down because they are getting hardly any referrals?

I worked at a military psychiatric department in the 1990s that offered a PTSD treatment programme for serving and ex-serving military personnel. We had to close it down because there simply weren't enough people coming forward for treatment.

Is it a lack of knowledge of what is actually available, or media spin?
  7. Good point. If that is the case then I'd be interested to hear the honest answer. Anyone?
  8. hollybush house outside ayr still treats veterans suffering with ptsd , i went years ago but after exhaustive test's using ground penetrating radar and long sticks with hooks on the end, i was giving the all clear , turns out i was not getting enough saturated fat in my diet , the resident shrink said i was just a nasty piece of work :D

a pal who was in gulf 1, told a story about a riot at a military hospital in woolwich on a ward full of lads suffering from ptsd , it was hushed up by the mod , apparently the ward was wrecked :wink:
  9. They were mainly suffering from alcohol problems, personality disorders and temperamental unsuitability for military service. Other than that, your friend is pretty accurate...
  10. You missed out drinking too much coffee/tea! lsn't that what the MODs most promient shrink says, nothing at all to do, whatsoever, with the jobs that the marvelous armed forces actaully do.

Great piece of news on C4 last, the guy is actually in the system lost. The shrink apparently is aware of PTSD, cannot understand for a moment why he gets abusive.

l think the shrink need to get a refresher course of PTDS, by actually serving in conflicts as a serving soldier then, just then they might recognise what it is.
    lt is the families and society today are picking up the pieces of NHS/MOD, surely they should take a look at what happened in USA, when their troops arrived back from Vietnam. There is a lot, lot more both these organisations must do to get their acts together, after all do they not work in partnership with each other. Or, is the NHS only after the cash handouts it recieves for working alongside them?
  11. Any links to what you're talking about?
  12. The Ch4 report mentions monitoring of serving pers. Anyone know how this actually works in practise?
  13. It's all well and good discussing the PTSD cases from both the gulf conflicts but PTSD (on average) takes 12 to 14 years to surface.

I am not saying that the Gulf war 2 veterans haven't got a problem but the current feeling is that THEY aren't getting the help needed.

I have had visits to Audley court to deal with my own PTSD and they guys and girls there have got issues from as far back the WW2 far east prisoners of war, Northern Ireland, sierra Leone, Bosnia and Kosovo.

It isn't because of the gulf war that the system needs to be re-addressed, it's because of the wholesale failing to support ANY SERVING AND EX SERVING members of the forces but maily the EX SERVING.

I have stated in previous threads that the Defence Medical Services are doing a sterling job but there is a far greater bigger picture.

With help from Audley court and the NHS I am able to sit here typing this post, 6 months ago I had no help and wanted to die, to stop the nightmares, to stop the flashbacks at work and find peace in my own suicide.

To those who are trying to help I offer you my thanks and as one Arrse posters stated..THE WAR IS ONLY OVER FOR THE DEAD. The survivors still live with the sights, sounds and smells of what they were a part of.

14. "